Photo

Anyone Have Experience With the Bos Lyric Ride?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

hawker

hawker

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,521 posts

I'm particularly interested in the 21" and just wondering how it has worked for you guys?

gezz

gezz

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,491 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Scotland
I am interested in one of these too.. think the 21" is a crash/ride with rivets..

Gerry

hawker

hawker

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,521 posts

You are correct Gerry.  But the 23" ride is just too much cymbal for my use.  Think I'd be better off with the 21" for low volume jazz work.

gezz

gezz

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,491 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Scotland
These are the kind of cymbal with just so much character you really need to hear it.. it's too expensive a risk to buy without trying.. complex sound with subtlety and power and bags of sizzling tone..

Gerry

Jorn

Jorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
I have the 23", it's very, very thin - even for a crash. Most would find it too washy for a ride.
I'll contribute with another post when my 21" arrives.

dogmanaut

dogmanaut

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 699 posts
  • LocationUSA
I've had 3 of these, actually. The first two were bizarrely similar -- exact same gram weight and they sounded like they could've been the same cymbal just maybe in a different room or with a different stick. I've never seen that kind of consistency before with hand-hammered Turkish pies. But anyway, the third one I picked up just recently. Haven't had a chance to really try it out much yet, but it's lighter and more crashable, which was one of the reasons I sold the other two -- not that they were heavy, by any means.

FWIW, I know a guy who's got a full set of Lyrics (the 21" being one of mine that I sold). He's in love with the 23". Says it could be his favorite ride of anything he's ever played.

hawker

hawker

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,521 posts

Thanks for the input guys.  Sure sounds like playing one before buying it is the way to go.   But not always possible unfortunately.

ajkim18

ajkim18

• Members
  • 385 posts

I sold my 21" lyric to dogmanaut. Definitely regret it.. it was a gorgeous cymbal. Bit more complex than your typical bos. It's got a higher profile than the masters and looks to be more heavily hammered. Higher profile helps it to have really nice stick, but theyre thin, so quite crashable. Sounds like they will fit the bill for what you're looking for. From the ones i've played, i prefer ones that are between 2000-2100g. 

Check out my vid.. Lyric is the last cymbal in the video. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users