- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

tkillian

tkillian

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
I have a vintage Slingerland snare stand, basket style from 1960s. But....the base is too high to fit my 14x8 Colisuem snare. I wonder... Is it possible to cut out a section in middle and solder(or weld) the remains together?

Edited by tkillian, 12 August 2017 - 04:29 PM.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 17,547 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I did that to a Slingerland snare stand to make a very short stand for a floor Tom that didn't have legs. I used a Slingerland stand with the legs that fold out from the bottom. As I recall the adjustment fitting at the top of the base tube was friction fitted on. I knocked it off the tube, then shortened the tube with a pipe cutter. Then I put the adjustment part back onto the top of the shortened tube. Worked well.

tkillian

tkillian

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
Thanks!

Rik_Everglade

Rik_Everglade

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSilver Creek, NY

Sometimes you have to punch out a roll pin, or maybe a set screw or rivet. Take off the clamping part, saw off a short section from the insert pipe and the receiving pipe, redrill for set screw or roll pin, put back together. Shouldn't be any welding. Have done more than a few of these customizations.

drumgadget

drumgadget

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 513 posts
  • LocationHealdsburg, Corte Madera CA
Right on, guys ...... but be sure to check that the tripod legs will still fold flat before going too rad with the sectioning. I have a DW flat base snare stand that a buddy cut before measuring; he was ready to bin it, but I saved it by coming up with a fix too complicated to go into right now. A bit fiddly, but it works great now with my 12x7" Craviotto .......

Mike

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 17,547 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Right on, guys ...... but be sure to check that the tripod legs will still fold flat before going too rad with the sectioning. I have a DW flat base snare stand that a buddy cut before measuring; he was ready to bin it, but I saved it by coming up with a fix too complicated to go into right now. A bit fiddly, but it works great now with my 12x7" Craviotto .......

Mike

That's why an old Slingerland, or Ludwig Standard, or Premier stand is the best suited for this. They don't have bracing that slides up the center tube when folded. The legs are held in position when set up by a bolt and washer on the very bottom of the stand.

jptrickster

jptrickster

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationFairfield County

Mike

I have a Pearl that we chopped down pretty good that will no longer fold up
trial and error! lol

drumgadget

drumgadget

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 513 posts
  • LocationHealdsburg, Corte Madera CA
Might be able to fix that for you, JP .......

M.

jptrickster

jptrickster

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationFairfield County
Cool. I've sort of resigned this for home use lol!
All the way down she's 8
Legs all the way up just about 9

Attached Files

Cauldronics

Cauldronics

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,691 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Can't speak on the Slingerland, but if it doesn't work out it can be done with other stands quite easily.  I sacrificed a high quality Pearl S-1030 (the one with the hollow grip fingers and gyro-lock titler) by cutting it down to hold a floor tom.  The arms have built-in extenders on them, and can go out to 16".    

I would've left it a snare stand but I didn't like it for that purpose.

Edited by Cauldronics, 19 September 2017 - 06:07 PM.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 17,547 posts
  • LocationIllinois

This is the sort of Slingerland stand I mean. The Buck Rogers version with the basket seems to be pretty rare but the other version is reasonably common as are the cymbals stands with the same sort of base. No bracing on the legs so the height of the center tube doesn't matter. The Ludwig Standard stands and many of the 50's-70's Premier stands used a similar set-up.

I shortened a couple of these Slingy stands way down to use like floor tom baskets and it worked quite well.

Attached Files

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users