- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
I have been using cymbal felts taped to the rim with painters tape. It let's them leave the head when hit and then settle back down. It quiets the heads to minimize sympathetic vibration in the mics and provides very natural sounding control. I got the idea from a Paul Leim video on youtube.

Does anyone know of a more elegant but similar solution? Trying to eliminate the need for tape on the hardware primarily

tnsquint

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru

• Members
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
I cobbled together a prototype after discussing this with Paul's tech. I used one of those rubber, snap on mic clips and used Velcro attached to the mic clip which then went to the cymbal felt. I never spent enough time to flesh out the idea, but it would certainly work. Eventually you would end up with a snap-on version.

vinito

vinito

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationKansas City

A guy I bought a snare drum from a while back had some of these:

www.amazon.com/Snareweight-M1b-Control-Damper-Dampener/dp/B01NANTPE9/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1502595332

or these larger ones:

www.amazon.com/Snareweight-M80/dp/B01IC3018M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1502595332

They just clip on the rim and have magnets on them to fold the wings back in on itself so they are kind of adjustable. I thought they were pretty swelegant.

Comparing them to the e-rings or other ring type dampeners he also showed me, the were a lot less "chokie" but did make a difference.

I'm a newcomer to all this but just FYI anyway.

NYFrank

NYFrank

• Members
  • 499 posts
  • LocationNortheast U.S.

These are great:

http://thedrumclip.com/

Attached Files

• Attached File  Clip.jpg   34.33KB   0 downloads

TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

A guy I bought a snare drum from a while back had some of these:
www.amazon.com/Snareweight-M1b-Control-Damper-Dampener/dp/B01NANTPE9/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1502595332

or these larger ones:
www.amazon.com/Snareweight-M80/dp/B01IC3018M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1502595332

They just clip on the rim and have magnets on them to fold the wings back in on itself so they are kind of adjustable. I thought they were pretty swelegant.
Comparing them to the e-rings or other ring type dampeners he also showed me, the were a lot less "chokie" but did make a difference.
I'm a newcomer to all this but just FYI anyway.

If that's hinged so it can lift off the head on impact, that's an interesting approach

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 8,183 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

These are great:

I seldom use muffling, but when I do, I use those. They're simple and they work great.

TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

These are great:

I seldom use muffling, but when I do, I use those. They're simple and they work great.

They just put constant pressure on the head correct?

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 8,183 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

These are great:

They just put constant pressure on the head correct?

Yeah, but they're lightweight, so they flex with the head when you hit the drum. They also come in different sizes, so you can switch them depending on the room. 

W&A Player

W&A Player

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 7,742 posts
  • LocationTexas

Hmmmmm.........The good old fashion internal tone controls, when used properly, can muffle, or mute, or tame the ringiness, or let the head do what it wants to do by dialing in as little or as much tension on the tone control.. The one type that offers the least amount of variation in tone control is the Ludwig baseball bat tone control. I even have a couple of Walberg & Auge bass drums with a larger version of the tom/snare drum tone control. On the few drums I own with no internal tone control, I use various sizes of window clings on the tops of the batter heads. This is much less expensive than Moon Gels.

Edited by W&A Player, 13 August 2017 - 01:14 PM.

TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Hmmmmm.........The good old fashion internal tone controls, when used properly, can muffle, or mute, or tame the ringiness, or let the head do what it wants to do by dialing in as little or as much tension on the tone control.. The one type that offers the least amount of variation in tone control is the Ludwig baseball bat tone control. I even have a couple of Walberg & Auge bass drums with a largeer version of the tom/snare drum tone control. On the few drums I own with no internal tone control, I use various sizes of window clings on the tops of the batter heads..

But they can't let the head do what it wants. That's the problem. Those type of mufflers DONT do what I want. They all affect the attack/tone when used because they cannot separate from the head. Moon gel, tape etc all add mass and change the sound negatively imo. I will keep working on it.

giraffe

giraffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationAZ

What about throwing some cotton balls inside the drum?

TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

What about throwing some cotton balls inside the drum?

this is on the table if I need to quiet the reso side. Doesn't do a ton for the batter side

tnsquint

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru

• Members
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Hmmmmm.........The good old fashion internal tone controls, when used properly, can muffle, or mute, or tame the ringiness, or let the head do what it wants to do by dialing in as little or as much tension on the tone control.. The one type that offers the least amount of variation in tone control is the Ludwig baseball bat tone control. I even have a couple of Walberg & Auge bass drums with a largeer version of the tom/snare drum tone control. On the few drums I own with no internal tone control, I use various sizes of window clings on the tops of the batter heads..

The OP beat me to it, but this is exactly the opposite of what he is trying to acheive.

Geardaddy

Geardaddy

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Would the Remo drum dampener work for you?

Attached Files

vinito

vinito

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationKansas City

If that's hinged so it can lift off the head on impact, that's an interesting approach

This pic shows that it probably does hinge on the leather, plus clicks up on a magnet to pull the effect off quickly if you want.

I thought they were interesting and well executed. Might be worth trying anyway.

Attached File  muff.jpg   64.97KB   0 downloads

Edited by vinito, 13 August 2017 - 01:08 PM.

W&A Player

W&A Player

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 7,742 posts
  • LocationTexas

But they can't let the head do what it wants. That's the problem. Those type of mufflers DONT do what I want. They all affect the attack/tone when used because they cannot separate from the head. Moon gel, tape etc all add mass and change the sound negatively imo. I will keep working on it.

We all perceive our own needs and desires. In my world, the internal tone controls just barely making contact with the underside of the heads provides the help I need or want.

CSR

CSR

Member since May 2000

• Platinum
  • 5,820 posts
  • Location- Snow Belt, New York State, USA, Earth

These are great:

If you need a bit more muffling, a piece of felt or leather cut to size underneath the clip adds some.

CSR

CSR

Member since May 2000

• Platinum
  • 5,820 posts
  • Location- Snow Belt, New York State, USA, Earth

Hmmmmm.........The good old fashion internal tone controls, when used properly, can muffle, or mute, or tame the ringiness, or let the head do what it wants to do by dialing in as little or as much tension on the tone control.. The one type that offers the least amount of variation in tone control is the Ludwig baseball bat tone control. I even have a couple of Walberg & Auge bass drums with a larger version of the tom/snare drum tone control. On the few drums I own with no internal tone control, I use various sizes of window clings on the tops of the batter heads. This is much less expensive than Moon Gels.

Window cling gels still leave a colored, oily residue on coated heads. I have yet to try the clear Moongel-type dampers.

RogersLudwig

RogersLudwig

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationFort Stinkindesert, NM

I'm with W&A Player, internal tone control mufflers work just fine for my needs.

tnsquint

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru

• Members
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

I'm with W&A Player, internal tone control mufflers work just fine for my needs.

But more or less exactly fail to do what the OP is looking for. Pretty much the opposite as a matter of fact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users