- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

JCKLudwig

JCKLudwig

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,733 posts
The back-story: One of the things I really love about Oriollo drums, is that Vukan seems to always be working on something or innovating some new product. Often, I’ll message him and be like “What’s your next big thing.” It never fails that he tells me one if not multiple things he has cooking. That commitment to innovation is cool to me. A couple months ago, Vukan approached me about trying out a new prototype he was working on. He has offered cast bronze for some time, but he said he was also working on a cast brass model. I happily obliged. Vukan also used this as an opportunity to try out his new laser engraving process as well. For this drum, he was using a design created by a local artist…and the Revival was born.

Arrival/Unboxing: This one arrived in 9 days. The box was heavy, as the drum is very heavy, but everything arrived safe and sound. I began to put all the parts together excited to try the drum.

How it's made: This seamless brass shell is created through casting and starts at 10mm. The shell is then machined to 3mm with 5mm rings. This drum is very very heavy, thick, and weighs upwards of about 25lbs assembled. This is in stark contrast to my 1mm seamless spun brass drum, that is very light. The finish on the drum is a patina, with laser engraving of a design by an artist from Argentina. The edges are double 45. The bridge lugs are the newest design. The strainer and butt are also the newest design by Oriollo. I find the new strainer system to be a little more intensive/finnicky as far as getting everything setup and dialed in to the right tension, but once there, the strainer action works flawlessly, sounds great, and is really smooth. I especially like the throw off. Its very easy to release, but never releases on its own from playing. I finished off the drum with 2.3mm triple flanged hoops, coated G1/300, and puresound wires.

The Sound: This drum was a big surprise to me. I’ve got all the metals in seamless spun, but I’d only ever played a cast drum up to this point in my aluminum shootout, where I had used the cast Gretsch…and to be honest, it was my least favorite of the bunch, so I didn’t know what to expect here. I had been interested in looking into the cast bronze model Vukan makes, mainly just for the reputation of the bell bronze, so when he wanted to send this to me, I was super excited. I couldn’t have been more off on my lower expectations. This drum sounds absolutely amazing. I was expecting it to have a fairly high fundamental pitch being so thick, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how much low end I can still get out of the drum, while still retaining a lot of crack and clarity to the sound. It may not have the extreme low range of some of the spun metals, but is certainly comfortable in the lower tunings.

Theres a big difference in the spun shells and the cast. Both are excellent, but the cast is a harder sound…a bit more aggressive and focused, with an overall harder feel. The cast is more of a crack, where the spun is more of a splat/smack. All of the Oriollo drums are very very sensitive, with this cast being no exception…at the same time, being a more focused sound, theres much less complexity to the note. Its a clear and defined note. The overtones don’t span over multiple frequencies but are clear and defined to the root note. This makes it really easy to notch out the ring with eq if you are going for a drier sound. To my ears, it performs extremely well across the tuning range…and has tons of power and is very explosive.

One other big difference I noticed when comparing this cast to my spun brass, is that this cast drum literally has no dynamic ceiling. I can hit it super soft, and its responsive…I can hit it as hard as I possibly can, and theres no choking or ceiling. Its quite remarkable. This is perfect for gigs where I am really beating the crap out of the drums.

Summing it up: This drum was a major surprise to me and now one of my favorite snares in my collection. It’s an incredibly consistent and well made drum. While I feel like I could use it in any scenario or tuning with good results, I could see where this drum really excels in a high volume and high energy scenario. Its cutting sound and lack of dynamic ceiling would help it to be a very good choice in aggressive music. Its unique look also is a really cool feature of the drum. Its easy to see why cast drums have such a reputation for being a good fit in popular rock music over the years…and I think this drum totally delivers on that sound, but with a great added versatility. The hits keep coming.

https://www.youtube....h?v=SyIV80oMZBY

Attached Files

Edited by JCKLudwig, 16 August 2017 - 07:16 AM.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 19,623 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
Awesome review Josh! Now I want one!

rockitboy1

rockitboy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationFAIRMONT MN

possibly the most beautiful snare sounds I've ever heard.. I want!!!  The whole kit sounds terrific

devinw

devinw

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,264 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Damn that sounds/looks good!

jaymandude

jaymandude

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Locationouter limits

nice.

price ?

JCKLudwig

JCKLudwig

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,733 posts

Awesome review Josh! Now I want one!

possibly the most beautiful snare sounds I've ever heard.. I want!!!  The whole kit sounds terrific

Damn that sounds/looks good!

Thanks guys!

JCKLudwig

JCKLudwig

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,733 posts

nice.

price ?

http://oriollo.com/s...ival-cast-brass

drummertom

drummertom

Advanced Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,835 posts
  • LocationBoston
Great stuff! Saw that snare in your aluminum kit demo and wondered what it was. Sounds great.

xsabers

xsabers

My Fav Drummer

• Members
  • 9,029 posts

WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME???????  

cymtrich

cymtrich

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,161 posts
  • Locationupstate ny
beautiful work on a beautiful drum! bill

oriollo

oriollo

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Just one correction. The artist is not local. Fabio Vido from Argentina.

Treviso1

Treviso1

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,243 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I wish there were some pictures of the inside of the drum and the bearing edges...  Beautiful drum!

oriollo

oriollo

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Only this pic:

19396695_1939393659650596_55239841380131

JCKLudwig

JCKLudwig

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,733 posts

Great stuff! Saw that snare in your aluminum kit demo and wondered what it was. Sounds great.

beautiful work on a beautiful drum! bill

I wish there were some pictures of the inside of the drum and the bearing edges...  Beautiful drum!

Thanks guys!

WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME???????

Lol!

apcpa2000

apcpa2000

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 538 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Beautiful Drum and great sounding to boot.

bbunks

bbunks

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,682 posts
  • LocationChicago

Love this drum and particularly at the lower tunings. It sounds wonderful.

drummerbill

drummerbill

DFO Potentate

• Gold
  • 4,868 posts
  • LocationNY-NJ Tri-state Area

JCK,  You are going to get my wife a little ornry, She wants a new stove....I need more snare drums ?   :wink:

A real beauty, thanks for the review !!  :wink:

Edited by drummerbill, 16 August 2017 - 08:02 AM.

devinw

devinw

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,264 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

JCK,  You are going to get my wife a little ornry, She wants a new stove....I need more snare drums ?   :wink:

Lol

TBH, these Oriollo related threads have almost had me pull the trigger on ordering a kit a couple of times in the past few days.

Wife is not going to be happy. :laughing5: :laughing5:

JCKLudwig

JCKLudwig

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,733 posts

Lol

TBH, these Oriollo related threads have almost had me pull the trigger on ordering a kit a couple of times in the past few days.

Wife is not going to be happy. :laughing5: :laughing5:

haha. Im a forum enabler.  :laughing6:

Treviso1

Treviso1

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,243 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Only this pic:

19396695_1939393659650596_55239841380131

That drum is a thing of beauty!  Bravo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic