• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Hey all.... I'll be out with Violent Femmes in smaller venues this October.  Some of you might be fans, or maybe are curious to hear and see the AF Drums I am using.  I'm loving the 18" snare btw!  If you are coming out, let me know. If I am around early we can shoot the breeze about drums.... 

October

18th-Show @ 1st Ave

20th-Show @ South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center

22nd Show @ Grand Theater, Wausau, WI

24th-Show @ Barrymore Theatre, Madison, WI

25th-Show @ State Theatre, Eau Claire, WI

27th-Show @ Meyer Theatre, Green Bay, WI

28th-Show @ Vic Theatre, Chicago, IL

29th-Show @ Michigan Theater, Ann Arbor, MI

Sequimite

Sequimite

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,769 posts
  • LocationSequim (skwim), Washington

Are you using snare drum and hi-hat only or a full set?

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Are you using snare drum and hi-hat only or a full set?

No cymbals.... here is my setup.  I stand and play.  I also still play the cajon and 28" Gong Snare

4x18" AF Drums Gunshot Snare

6x18" AF Drums Whiskey Maple Floor Tom

6x28" AF Drums Gong Snare Drum

22" Weber Charcoal Kettle Grill

Regal Tip Jeff Hamilton Model Brushes

Regal Tip JC Nylon Tip Sticks

Schlagwerk Bass Cajon (no snares)

Top View of AF Drums with Violent Femmes

AF Drums Gong Snare 6x28"

Edited by JohnSparrow, 07 September 2017 - 07:00 PM.

equipmentdork

equipmentdork

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationNJ

Awesome. Is "Children of the Revolution" in any of the sets?

Dan

Sequimite

Sequimite

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,769 posts
  • LocationSequim (skwim), Washington

Did you go with a Puresound grill on the Weber?

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,916 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

Great gig, man!  I used to be heavy into the Femmes......

Those snare sizes are crazy, though!!!  Where do you even get 28" snares (let alone 18").......

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Dan

We haven't done Children in a while. One of us mentioned it recently, so I'm guessing it might get called. We don't write set lists, Brian just calls out songs.

Edited by JohnSparrow, 09 September 2017 - 12:12 PM.

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Did you go with a Puresound grill on the Weber?

Stock Weber Snares

JoePasko2002

JoePasko2002

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

I saw Gano's side-project, Mercy Seat, perform in Albany many years ago, but I've never seen VF's live.  I'd still like to.  Unusual stand-up drum sets have been a mainstay feature of the act, am I correct ?   That kind of thing is right up my alley.  Have fun on those Wisconsin gigs !  (you're out there in polka territory)

Edited by JoePasko2002, 11 September 2017 - 06:05 AM.

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

I saw Gano's side-project, Mercy Seat, perform in Albany many years ago, but I've never seen VF's live. I'd still like to. Unusual stand-up drum sets have been a mainstay feature of the act, am I correct ? That kind of thing is right up my alley. Have fun on those Wisconsin gigs ! (you're out there in polka territory)

Always stand up kit for sure. The band started in Wisconsin... I can tear up a polka ! :)

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,916 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

Interesting post, John!  First of all, I didn't realize you are the drummer for the V.F.......sweet!  I guess I didn't "Add It Up"......

As for the Weber, is that really a drum, or just part of the stage antics?  I've literally never seen one of those played.....at least it's "Cadillac Green"......and will get you high vintage resale value especially with the band's signatures!  Good luck with the shows.....

"I hope you know this will go down

on

your

permanent

record!"

equipmentdork

equipmentdork

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationNJ

Dan

We haven't done Children in a while. One of us mentioned it recently, so I'm guessing it might get called. We don't write set lists, Brian just calls out songs.

Very Cool! Have a great tour!

Dan

drummertom

drummertom

Advanced Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,868 posts
  • LocationBoston

I saw Gano's side-project, Mercy Seat, perform in Albany many years ago, but I've never seen VF's live. I'd still like to. Unusual stand-up drum sets have been a mainstay feature of the act, am I correct ? That kind of thing is right up my alley. Have fun on those Wisconsin gigs ! (you're out there in polka territory)

Always stand up kit for sure. The band started in Wisconsin... I can tear up a polka ! :)

I seem to remember seeing a video of VF and you were using a WMP Rogers Dynasonic that sounded amazing.  

Have fun on the tour!

JoePasko2002

JoePasko2002

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

I believe that John's predecessor in the group played an overturned washtub.

Punk attitude + folk ethic.  A cool, unique group. 

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

I seem to remember seeing a video of VF and you were using a WMP Rogers Dynasonic that sounded amazing.

Have fun on the tour!

That video was victor delorenzo that you saw. That was a powertone not a dyna. I started with the band playing cajon with victor 12 years ago now. Great people!

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

I believe that John's predecessor in the group played an overturned washtub.
Punk attitude + folk ethic. A cool, unique group.

Yes that is true. Victor played a bushel basket and they call it a Tranceaphone. I'm going to explain the grill story sometime soon. I will say this... it was an experiment that we just stuck with. On our newest live double LP, I ONLY play the grill on the whole record.

swarfrat

swarfrat

Former Member

• Members
  • 4,170 posts
How does that gong snare play?? It looks like theres quite a bit of sag in the wires. If you're standing, my first thought would've been to set it on its edge like a bass drum, but high enough to reach.

drummertom

drummertom

Advanced Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,868 posts
  • LocationBoston

Have fun on the tour!

That video was victor delorenzo that you saw. That was a powertone not a dyna. I started with the band playing cajon with victor 12 years ago now. Great people!

Thanks for the clarification!

shiek_yerbouti

shiek_yerbouti

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 719 posts

Would love it if you guys could make it to South Florida. :-)

I saw VF back around 1986 or so at Sunrise Musical Theater, Sunrise, FL. I have seen many concerts in my time - some really big shows, etc like everyone else here, but this particular VF show stands out as one one of the most high energy, amazing shows I ever saw. Why? Because the band's interaction with the crowd was truly something to see.

As the band played their opening song the whole audience was singing along and just going nuts. Remember, at the time this was a cult, underground band that was pretty much off the grid - at least down here in FL. When that first song ended the band quickly ran up to each other to huddle for a few seconds. You could tell they were amazed and elated by the reception they were receiving. I too was amazed at the crowd's response. Sunrise, FL was never a particularly hip place. I thought we would go to this show and see a sparsely filled theater. I was wrong. The place was packed and the crowd knew the songs!!! Where did these people come from? Ha! 

For the rest of the night the band had the audience eating out their hands. They played the audience and got them to react to anything they were doing. So, that's why it was so memorable to me. I was pretty sure I was watching a band that was totally surprised by the response they got and it was a great thing to be a part of. I would love to know if the band members remember that night. It was certainly memorable to me. 

Good luck on your tour. I saw you play the Weber grill on Colbert and loved it. Wish I could see you guys play. 

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Would love it if you guys could make it to South Florida. :icon_smile:

I saw VF back around 1986 or so at Sunrise Musical Theater, Sunrise, FL. I have seen many concerts in my time - some really big shows, etc like everyone else here, but this particular VF show stands out as one one of the most high energy, amazing shows I ever saw. Why? Because the band's interaction with the crowd was truly something to see.

As the band played their opening song the whole audience was singing along and just going nuts. Remember, at the time this was a cult, underground band that was pretty much off the grid - at least down here in FL. When that first song ended the band quickly ran up to each other to huddle for a few seconds. You could tell they were amazed and elated by the reception they were receiving. I too was amazed at the crowd's response. Sunrise, FL was never a particularly hip place. I thought we would go to this show and see a sparsely filled theater. I was wrong. The place was packed and the crowd knew the songs!!! Where did these people come from? Ha! 

For the rest of the night the band had the audience eating out their hands. They played the audience and got them to react to anything they were doing. So, that's why it was so memorable to me. I was pretty sure I was watching a band that was totally surprised by the response they got and it was a great thing to be a part of. I would love to know if the band members remember that night. It was certainly memorable to me. 

Good luck on your tour. I saw you play the Weber grill on Colbert and loved it. Wish I could see you guys play. 

That is an amazing story! Gordon and Brian remember so many gigs and people can't believe it.  I remember a ton fro my time with them too... crazy.  I'll ask them...  The part about them huddling in the middle of the stage is funny.... We don't write set lists, so we will occasionally huddle quick to throw ideas out or remind each other to not skip a stop in the B section hahaha.

Thanks for the post.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users