• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

bonefamily

bonefamily

• Members
  • 460 posts
  • LocationOhio

Great gig!!  Another Femmes fan here. 

Are those Hamilton snare stands?  I've been curious as how those hold up.

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Great gig!! Another Femmes fan here.

Are those Hamilton snare stands? I've been curious as how those hold up.

The stands are junk. AF is working on their own stands, till then I'm stuck with these. I have been through close to 5 of them.

bonefamily

bonefamily

• Members
  • 460 posts
  • LocationOhio
Wow. Thanks for the feedback - I'll stay away from those!

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Wow. Thanks for the feedback - I'll stay away from those!

I don't have a choice they are the best fit for an 18" snare :)

dale w miller

dale w miller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationOcean, NJ
Nice gig. So many people I know are huge VF fans including my with. I believe we just missed you all in Asbury Park as we were out of town.

How many shows a year are you doing with them?

drumtimejohn

drumtimejohn

Advanced Snr. Member

• Silver
  • 535 posts
  • LocationSLC
Great band, on a Great Lake! That tour, at those venues, has me missing home.

-John

Attached Files

Edited by drumtimejohn, 02 October 2017 - 02:14 AM.

bigbonzo

bigbonzo

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast of Ohio

I'm assuming that is your complete schedule.   But, was wondering if you'll be coming to Cleveland.

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

-John

I was good friends with Bill. I worked for him for two years in high school. He was a family friend as well.... I miss him

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

I'm assuming that is your complete schedule.   But, was wondering if you'll be coming to Cleveland.

Nothing in Cleveland as of now... I would venture to say if we are back in Cleveland, it will be in summer

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Nice gig. So many people I know are huge VF fans including my with. I believe we just missed you all in Asbury Park as we were out of town.

The number of gigs depends on what we have going on.  I think last year it was 180 shows.... This year, I have no idea... I would have to count them from the archives.  We are relatively busy and have been for the past 3-4 years....

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

ITS AN AMAZING GIG! :)

xsabers

xsabers

World's Okayest Drummer

• Members
  • 9,294 posts

Nothing in Cleveland as of now... I would venture to say if we are back in Cleveland, it will be in summer

Good luck with that. You'll never find the stage!  

JoePasko2002

JoePasko2002

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

I was in Home Depot yesterday to buy a new spray attachment for our kitchen sink.  Even though it's getting late in the season, they still had a couple of Weber char grills set up on the floor.  So I rapped on one with my hands for a short while. (silly me, it didn't cross my mind to bring a pair of brushes to Home Depot with me).  I noticed the rattling sound of the lid ... is that the desired effect ?    Or do you put some tape or foam between the grill and the lid ?  Do you do any prepping or modding to your grill beforehand, or do you just play it au naturale ?

Edited by JoePasko2002, 08 October 2017 - 06:29 AM.

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

I was in Home Depot yesterday to buy a new spray attachment for our kitchen sink.  Even though it's getting late in the season, they still had a couple of Weber char grills set up on the floor.  So I rapped on one with my hands for a short while. (silly me, it didn't cross my mind to bring a pair of brushes to Home Depot with me).  I noticed the rattling sound of the lid ... is that the desired effect ?    Or do you put some tape or foam between the grill and the lid ?  Do you do any prepping or modding to your grill beforehand, or do you just play it au naturale ?

My grill is the Weber 22" Kettle.  I take off the charcoal dust collector under the kettle.  We used to use the grill grates inside to place the SM91 on, but have switched and now it sits inside on the bottom of the kettle itself.  I don't get the rattling from those extra items obviously.  The lid might rattle a bit, but I don't hear that on stage when we play concerts.  If it rattles during radio or television, I will gaff it a bit.  No prepping per se before shows.  The handle holds my stage towel, another plus. 

Renoroger

Renoroger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationBakersfield,CA

-John

I got there once during a month in The Dells in ‘87, wow, what a shop! The owner had an interesting demeanor but there was so much to see that a friendly chat ensued. How long ago did he pass? What became of the store and inventory?

Edited by Renoroger, 09 October 2017 - 11:24 AM.

drumtimejohn

drumtimejohn

Advanced Snr. Member

• Silver
  • 535 posts
  • LocationSLC
Oct. 4 years ago. Big sell off I believe. No Webers though. John would know more.

Speaking of the Weber, it really cuts. Bright. It seems like the height is a good fit too. Cool idea.

JoePasko2002

JoePasko2002

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

My grill is the Weber 22" Kettle.  I take off the charcoal dust collector under the kettle.  We used to use the grill grates inside to place the SM91 on, but have switched and now it sits inside on the bottom of the kettle itself.  I don't get the rattling from those extra items obviously.  The lid might rattle a bit, but I don't hear that on stage when we play concerts.  If it rattles during radio or television, I will gaff it a bit.  No prepping per se before shows.  The handle holds my stage towel, another plus. 

I watched some recent video from KEXP show.  You put the brushes to very good use to get different sounds.  I like to think that when playing w/ brushes, the brushes themselves are the instrument, or at least an equal partner with whatever thing is being hit.  Nice work and looks like you're all having a blast.   Seems like your grill could stand to be raised up a few inches.. but maybe you are used to hunching over a bit to play it.   Was that a re-purposed bicycle sprocket suspending your mic ?

JohnSparrow

JohnSparrow

Pro

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

My grill is the Weber 22" Kettle. I take off the charcoal dust collector under the kettle. We used to use the grill grates inside to place the SM91 on, but have switched and now it sits inside on the bottom of the kettle itself. I don't get the rattling from those extra items obviously. The lid might rattle a bit, but I don't hear that on stage when we play concerts. If it rattles during radio or television, I will gaff it a bit. No prepping per se before shows. The handle holds my stage towel, another plus.

I watched some recent video from KEXP show. You put the brushes to very good use to get different sounds. I like to think that when playing w/ brushes, the brushes themselves are the instrument, or at least an equal partner with whatever thing is being hit. Nice work and looks like you're all having a blast. Seems like your grill could stand to be raised up a few inches.. but maybe you are used to hunching over a bit to play it. Was that a re-purposed bicycle sprocket suspending your mic ?

Yes that is a sprocket! Cool huh?
I’m used to the height of the grill now. They only come in one height :)

LotsOfDrums

LotsOfDrums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTN

Very cool congrats!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users