• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

ThomasMagnum

ThomasMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I'm cleaning up some large Ludwig Classic lugs, and it there are remnants of some sort of insert to keep the spring from contacting the casing. Whatever it was - it's mostly black powder now.
Is there a specific part I can order to replace this insert?

Attached Files

MLayton

MLayton

Team Dfo

• Double Platinum
  • 30,512 posts

Many people put a bit of cotton from a cotton ball in place of the foam insert. Personally, I've never had any issues with not having anything back in there. Just a personal preference really.

ThomasMagnum

ThomasMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Sweet. I'll go without if they won't rattle.
Thanks!

PeterK

PeterK

Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, California
I have found something similar in mid 70s Ludwig lugs on two different drums. Apparently the factory placed a strip of thin foam in the lug casing to prevent rattling. They all wind up disintegrating after 40 years.

Edited by PeterK, 12 September 2017 - 08:50 AM.

Ray Dee Oh King

Ray Dee Oh King

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 716 posts
  • LocationIron River, MI

I used felt. Bought a whole stack of the stuff super cheap on Amazon. If you need some let me know, Id be willing to part with some of the sheets for nothing. I have plenty of it!

Radio King

Radio King

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationVA Beach

Felt is my replacement choice too. Walmart has a ton of it.

dangermoney

dangermoney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

+1, felt works extremely well ...

Ray Dee Oh King

Ray Dee Oh King

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 716 posts
  • LocationIron River, MI

My Radio Kings had lambskin in the casings. When I pulled the set apart to clean and polish, it was so dried up and nasty it had to be replaced. The felt worked great. I get no rattling or any kind of vibration. I had a pretty good discussion about this with anothe gent on another forum. He was claiming that hes not putting anything inside his casings due to the fact that when he tapped on each casing they each had their own sound to them and actually believed that each one was mounted in the position they were in to provide the correct timbre from the wood. Im not that technical, but I thought it was a bit extreme. :)

ThomasMagnum

ThomasMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

I used felt. Bought a whole stack of the stuff super cheap on Amazon. If you need some let me know, Id be willing to part with some of the sheets for nothing. I have plenty of it!

Just saw this - thanks for the offer, man. I'll pick up a sheet at a craft store, but I appreciate your generosity all the same.

Adam

bob

bob

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,372 posts
  • Locationsherwood park, canada

cotton balls work for me .... all my sets are stuffed with them 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users