• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

unicorncop

unicorncop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationOlathe, KS
I am noticing a lot of drummers using a second snare in the floor tom position. Can someone explain this phenomenon? Snares-off, Timbale style, tuned low to emulate low tom, or snares-on?

rockitboy1

rockitboy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationFAIRMONT MN

All of the above... Just saw a Will Kennedy clinic (performance) on youtube and he used one in the rack tom position, snares on and off. I dig the different colors it brought.

bonefamily

bonefamily

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • LocationOhio

I think for different colors.  I seen a video that showed Peter Erskine using his signature side snare in the first rack tom position.  I thought it sounded good there the way he was playing it.

devinw

devinw

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,335 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

I imagine one of the benefits is you can tune it low and get a low timbale "floor tom-ish" sound with the snares off, but you could turn them on and have an addional super deep, thunk snare texture to play with as well.

I;ve see a lot of guys doing this as well.

Tilter

Tilter

Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

The first player I noticed that with was Sput Searight, then Anika Nilles but Chris "Daddy" Dave has been using a multi-snare set up for quite some time. With the resurgence of fat snare sounds, I get the feeling this will outlast fad status and stick around for quite a while like 10 and 12" side snares did (and have).

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,916 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

There's a great vid with Eric Harland who uses a snare where it's supposed to be, then a rack tom snare, too.  Never seen one used as a "FT".......

Tmcfour

Tmcfour

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
The drummer from Lake Street Dive used a super low tuned 15" snare next to hats when I saw them a couple months ago.

Edited by Tmcfour, 11 September 2017 - 06:01 PM.

bbunks

bbunks

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,697 posts
  • LocationChicago
When I get the time I want to experiment with a 14" snare in the floor tom 1 spot. I'll tune it a bit lower so it's close to the 16" floor tom, and see how it does as another snare voice.

gwbasley

gwbasley

Drum Czar

• Platinum
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationHoliday, Florida

Can't guess where the 2nd snare was, but this is from 1963 and is either Gary Chester or Buddy Saltzman:

JDA

JDA

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,938 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

https://i.ytimg.com/...xresdefault.jpg

drummers do the Craziest things

maybe because why we are

drummers.

seems to have been a time when drummers (us) wouldn't think twice about doing something unconventional. Now, You better have a dang good reason

Edited by JDA, 11 September 2017 - 11:33 PM.

nomsgmusic

nomsgmusic

Pro

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationNY-NJ

While it wasn't a snare drum in the floor tom position. I saw Jim Keltner set up a whole set of snare drums (regular SD and two small ones as rack toms) in 1998 when he was touring with Bill Frisell.  Jim had the snares at all different tensions, and sometimes used them as toms and sometimes as snares. (He now has a few toms with snare strainers mounted on them.) But it was super cool and creative. This was at the Bottom Line in NYC, I happened to sit next to Jay Bellerose, and we talked about how wonderful Jim was all night. I think Jim used this same type of set on the Frisell record "Gone, Like a Train" too. CHECK IT OUT!!!

With all respect, this was long before Chris Dave and Eric Harland started doing it, but I love what they do with this type of set-up too.

That Keltner experience inspired me to (eventually) create a whole "drum set o' snares" that I have used on a few gigs. My set consists of a normal snare, a mounted Yamaha 10" snare, and a mounted Yamaha 12" snare. (Back to the original topic) on that set, my "floor tom" is an old WFL 8x15 snare on an extra low snare stand tuned low and swampy. So that makes a set of four snares and a bass drum. I usually compliment the set with a pair of 16" crashes as hats, a riveted ride, and a wide open BD.

A few times I have used this "set" with a normally tuned 24" bass drum, rack snares switched, and a wide open 18" floor tom. That was pretty cool too. Here's a picture of when I started experimenting with that in my drum room.

Attached File  IMG_0271.JPG   175.11KB   0 downloads

Someday, I might go "Full Keltner" and get some extra rack toms for one of my sets, and have some strainers installed.

No specific reason for it (JDA,) I just dig the musical headspace it puts me into. I also like the way it makes me orchestrate within the music. And sometimes you just get "itchy."

MSG

Edited by nomsgmusic, 12 September 2017 - 01:00 AM.

JDA

JDA

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,938 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

I once took a set to a gig with two 14x14 floor toms and 14x20 bass and 5x14 snare. I angled the 14x14 on legs into the small tom position.

Tmcfour

Tmcfour

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

I once took a set to a gig with two 14x14 floor toms and 14x20 bass and 5x14 snare. I angled the 14x14 on legs into the small tom position.

Neat idea. I don't use my 14" FT because I hate having to reach for the 16"ft. This may be a viable option if I can get it close enough to the left side of my kick.

bonefamily

bonefamily

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • LocationOhio

Neat idea. I don't use my 14" FT because I hate having to reach for the 16"ft. This may be a viable option if I can get it close enough to the left side of my kick.

Not to derail the thread, but have you tried your 14" floor tom in a side snare position on the other side of your hats? I had mine there for a while and liked it. Just another option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users