• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Jay_M

Jay_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Got my old Teardrop set back and have been thinking about hunting down the matching snare. I currently have a D-424 (Ferro metal 4.5" snare) and it's got a great sound, but never heard a wooden Teardrop-era snare (D-471). It'd also be nice to have a wood snare in the arsenal, but never really dug any wooden snares I had besides the Slingerland Hollywood Ace.

Anyone ever play a D-471 and recall if they were anything special?

Thanks. 

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 8,411 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida
I played several of them back in the day, very early 1970s. A couple of them were from the 1960s. They sounded great. Really beautiful tone and sensitivity. Those round strainers really worked well. Great design, in my opinion. You see a lot of them with the missing cover plate. I never had that problem. There was a tiny little set screw that held the cover in place, and I would check it every couple of weeks and make sure it was tight. The earlier ones were made from black plastic, but the guts of the strainer were metal. Good luck finding one that matches your set. They're pretty rare in the US.

Edited by rondrums51, 01 October 2017 - 05:09 PM.

Osahead2

Osahead2

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,539 posts
  • LocationFlying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superfortress!
I absolutely love mine and still can't get over how good the entire drum set sounds. I totally recommend you hunt yourself down a match snare drum.

Attached Files

Trilock_Gurtu

Trilock_Gurtu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada

I had one with my Teardrop kit, loved it...great snare...then sold the kit, like an idiot. I'd highly recommend one, if you can track one down. Cheers.

DaveA

DaveA

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Jay, what color is your teardrop set?

Jay_M

Jay_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Dave - My set is "blue marble". Here's a pic: https://www.instagra...-by=jzonedontig

Jay_M

Jay_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNew York City

I absolutely love mine and still can't get over how good the entire drum set sounds. I totally recommend you hunt yourself down a match snare drum.

That's gorgeous! Is that a rosewood in bop sizes?

Osahead2

Osahead2

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,539 posts
  • LocationFlying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superfortress!
Yes you are correct... it is a vintage rosewood Teardrop in 18/12/14 with matching 14x5 snare drum.

Since, I've owned them, I have searched around and around and these drums just might be the only April 1969 dated Sonor Teardrop Rosewood bop kit to survive in the USA.

I know you guys are probably getting tired hearing me say this... but wow they sound wonderful and they can't be out-matched.
Attached File  Screenshot_20171009-085645.png   732.54KB   0 downloads

Edited by Osahead2, 09 October 2017 - 11:16 AM.

DaveA

DaveA

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Dave - My set is "blue marble". Here's a pic: https://www.instagra...-by=jzonedontig

I used to own a D471 in "Red Marble". Currently, I have one in Rosewood. It's missing the original strainer, but (as mentioned) it's a GREAT sounding drum!

Attached File  SonorSnare.jpg   165.97KB   1 downloads

I'm not sure if I wanna keep playing it as is, keep looking for a Sonor strainer or just sell it. So I wanted to see if it would match your kit.

Enjoy that teardrop set!

atomicmorganic

atomicmorganic

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,644 posts

I used to own a D471 in "Red Marble". Currently, I have one in Rosewood. It's missing the original strainer, but (as mentioned) it's a GREAT sounding drum!

attachicon.gifSonorSnare.jpg

I'm not sure if I wanna keep playing it as is, keep looking for a Sonor strainer or just sell it. So I wanted to see if it would match your kit.

Enjoy that teardrop set!

PM sent.

AaronLatos

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang

• Members
  • 3,680 posts
  • Locationupstate NY
I have a rosewood in/out early Champion that's essentially the same drum with different hardware. Currently my go to drum. These are worth seeking out.

Jay_M

Jay_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Has anyone played the D-422? It's essentially the same as the 471 but with the parallel strainer that's on the D-426. It's similar to a Dynasonic/Supersensitive/Royal Ace where the snares can be lifted away from the head, etc. It looks super cumbersome, but being it's sonor I'm sure that strainer is well made. It may also be more sensitive than a 471?

Jay_M

Jay_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Also, I know the 3 ply and 6 ply shells are entirely different animals when it comes to the toms and bass drum, but do the early staggered lug double mallet badge three ply snares have a drastically different sound than the 6 ply snares from late 60s? Like can they be tuned high or are they similar to the toms in that regard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users