• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

crash

crash

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,197 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo,Ca
Has anybody in the recent past had any luck with Jammin' Sam's high bond tape? Redoing a bass drum, so the seams will be at the bottom. He has a new yellowed vintage WMP wrap that looks to be a good match for the existing wrap on the toms.......

Edited by crash, 02 October 2017 - 09:52 PM.

idrum4fun

idrum4fun

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • Locationsouthern California

I've been a customer of Sam's for a few decades now. I've always received excellent service and fast shipping. The wraps are first-rate from Delmar. As to the high bond tape method, Sam really pushes this. His instructions for using it have changed over the years. OK, here's the bottom line; I've yet to have a seam stay down with his tape! Sorry Sam, but I've followed the directions to the letter, but the seams still lift a bit. Some more than others. I recently removed the high bond tape from a floor tom and used some water-based adhesive instead. The seam has been perfect ever since!

Now, that isn't to say that others have had better luck. Just relaying my experience!

Mark

idrum4fun

idrum4fun

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 936 posts

Just found pictures of the kit in question. The wrap is a beautiful Dark Abalone Pearl. If you look carefully at the floor tom, you should be able to see the seam and how it is already lifting a bit in the middle. As previously stated, removing the tape (which took allot of work!) and brushing on glue that was very similar to 3M-30NF, the seam has been perfect.

Mark

Attached Files

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 17,716 posts
  • LocationIllinois
If you really insist he will sell you wrap without the tape. He probably won't be happy about it (the customer is always right seems to be a foreign notion to him, and he missed out on a $300 purchase from me because of that, but that's another story) but he will do it if you insist (or at least he did for me on a couple of occasions).

It's the same wrap from Delmar as everyone else sells (he just has some colors that others don't carry) so it can be glued down in the normal fashion if that is what you prefer (which is really the best way to do it anyway).

CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,913 posts
  • LocationEvanston/Chicago IL

I rewrapped my first good kit, a formerly Moonglow Satin Flame, gone long before I got it SSB Gretsch 13/16/20, in Sam's black w/tape.

The added thickness of the tape on slightly oversized shells basically meant heads just didn't fit, and actually getting one on meant that it would slowly scrape up that seam like a t-rod driven snowplow.

I've told him either A: The shells are a little over to begin with or B: That's not what my customer wants, neglecting to mention that I am that customer and he's dropped it fairly quickly.

I wish it worked like he says it should. I've lived in Michigan and Chicago and had it fail. 

I don't see how it could possibly not explode off your drums just carrying them to your car in Phoenix.

crash

crash

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,197 posts
I do la lot of outdoor gigs. Wineries, festivals, etc. It's a nice SSB Gretsch kit. I'm gonna glue it!

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

Crash, I'd like to see the kit.  As much as I love my RB's, I have an affinity for my sleeper SSB's which are my players - home kit and travel kit....was the WMP original?  How did you get yellowed wrap to match?  Thanks.

latzanimal

latzanimal

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationHalfway between the Quads and the Windy City...

He's never pushed the tape with me..... I feel left out.

And I always use the glue....

jptrickster

jptrickster

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,805 posts
  • LocationFairfield County
Tape is good if your going to change the wrap again and again or if you prefer your seams open and your wrap bubbled.

SwivoNut

SwivoNut

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,780 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

The set in my avatar was recovered with Sam's wrap using his tape according to the instructions. The tape failed and I had to remove the residue and glue down the seams, Forget the tape and use glue no matter what Sam says.

idrum4fun

idrum4fun

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 936 posts

As others have stated, the tape method is fine if you plan to change the wrap later on. It's also a good way to go for someone who wants to recover their drums and has no experience, or desire, to use glue.

I've known Sam long enough now that he always asks me if I want the tape or not!

Mark

crash

crash

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,197 posts

Crash, I'd like to see the kit. As much as I love my RB's, I have an affinity for my sleeper SSB's which are my players - home kit and travel kit....was the WMP original? How did you get yellowed wrap to match? Thanks.
They were redone by Drum Center of Indianapolis. They also upgraded to Pearl mounts and spurs. At least I can lose those.
Sam just started carrying the wrapping.

Attached File  IMG_1390.JPG   122.82KB   0 downloads

Edited by crash, 03 October 2017 - 08:54 AM.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

Ooohh, aaahh.......I just love aged WMP!

Eric Sooy

Eric Sooy

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Use the tape method if you like big bubbly waves all around the drum. If you're going to put all that work into it, why not do it right. 

crash

crash

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,197 posts

Ooohh, aaahh.......I just love aged WMP!

Me too! Don't like it bright white........ Hope the sample matches up well enough.Attached File  pearlvwhiteaged-scan.jpg   135.31KB   0 downloads

Edited by crash, 03 October 2017 - 06:06 PM.

FloydZKing

FloydZKing

fire bad!

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

I've also bought tapeless wrap from JS for years now. 

If he makes the tape pitch, just listen and politely decline.  He will sell you wrap.

FloydZKing

FloydZKing

fire bad!

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Also, if you do get drawn into the tape debate, just say that you are wrapping a vintage set and want to do it the vintage-correct way.  For me, that's usually the case anyways.

CompactDrums

CompactDrums

• Retail
  • 344 posts
  • LocationToronto Burbs, Canada

Interesting...  I use and recommend the D/S tape sold in the flooring dept of home improvement centers. Meant for carpet and vinyl floor. No issues ever! 

crash

crash

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,197 posts

Doing anything special to assure adhesion? Any specific brand? Thanks, Bill

CompactDrums

CompactDrums

• Retail
  • 344 posts
  • LocationToronto Burbs, Canada

Doing anything special to assure adhesion? Any specific brand? Thanks, Bill

Can't remember the brand. I get it at Home Depot. No special procedure...

Check my drum wrap instrux:  http://walopus.com/how-to-install

Fool-proof methods for both D/S tape method and fully glued method.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users