Photo

Joe Morello - Matched Grip .. Take Five.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

GeneZ

GeneZ

DFO Potentate

• Gold
  • 3,931 posts
  • LocationGrew up in NY.. now, Georgia

DanC

DanC

"The Force Awakens"

• Silver
  • 13,037 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit

Here he is 30 years later. Didin't seem he had lost much in those 3 decades....

Edited by DanC, 12 October 2017 - 04:21 PM.

DrumGerry

DrumGerry

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,163 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

One or two of the older guys switched to match when playing tom orientated stuff.  Easier to get round the kit I suppose.  I'm sure I've seen a vid of Krupa doing the same (though to a lesser extent).

petercool

petercool

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationPattaya, Thailand

I know there is not much that can ONLY be done with traditional grip but as mainly a brushes player I find that is the only way to get comfortable with brushes and it then transfered into my stick playing.

bigbonzo

bigbonzo

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast of Ohio

I love Joe Morello.  One of three of my favorite jazz drummers.

Rich K.

Rich K.

Drummer Excelsior

• Platinum
  • 9,236 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA
His drums always sound great, even on a cell phone.

devinw

devinw

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

NIce. A lot of Joe stuff is traditional. Seems to be doing just fine in matched!

I've been working recently on getting my left hand to loosen up with the index finger hand just like Joe in the beginning of the solo and noticing some great results for softer/faster jazz stuff!

Ludzil

Ludzil

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

sky blue pearl Ludwig's ? couldn't quite tell

dcrigger

dcrigger

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,716 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

One or two of the older guys switched to match when playing tom orientated stuff.  Easier to get round the kit I suppose.  I'm sure I've seen a vid of Krupa doing the same (though to a lesser extent).

Actually lots of guys, when primarily playing the toms, would approach it that way. I think, reflecting the drum sets origin as a sort of "hybrid" instrument... in a sense, a bunch of traditional. orchestral percussion instruments all set-up to be played by one person. And in this sense, the toms are most closely related to timpani or concert toms from an orchestral perspective.

And the fact is, in an orchestral setting, no one ever plays timpani with traditional grip. Actually to a great degree, it is rare to find anyone who plays anything - except snare drum - with traditional grip. Timpani, concert toms, all keyboard percussion instruments (bells, vibes, etc. ) temple blocks, and on and on are traditionally played with matched grip.

Krupa, Buddy, Louie, like Joe here - were both following the tradition, but also utilizing the practical advantage to using matched for those "tympani" like passages

MLayton

MLayton

Team Dfo

• Double Platinum
  • 30,631 posts

sky blue pearl Ludwig's ? couldn't quite tell

Yes. SBP. I this was the performance in Belgium. Notice too that he is playing a wooden snare here as well. His usual snare was the 5x14 Brass Super. The snare looks to possibly be a Downbeat model. Eyes not quite good enough to nail it down.

Tornado

Tornado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDallas

I want to be Joe Morello when I grow up.  Really can't get tired of his playing.  

devinw

devinw

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

I want to be Joe Morello when I grow up.  Really can't get tired of his playing.  

Sames.

TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire

• Platinum
  • 6,893 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

I always enjoyed the "storytelling" in his solos. It's like he was playing the other instruments' parts on the drums. One of, if not the most, favorite drummers of mine.

bellbrass

bellbrass

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,289 posts
  • LocationBluegrass of Kentucky
Stellar playing and finesse.

I figured it was a European recording, since the picture quality and sound quality were so good.

Tilter

Tilter

Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Good lord, 25 seconds in and I was already shaking my head. His technique; the fluidity of the interplay between the glancing cymbal strokes and tom... just beautiful to watch.

Patrick

Patrick

Drum Czar

• Double Platinum
  • 2,409 posts

I saw him perhaps ten years ago shortly after he'd hurt one of his hands in the garage door--per his explanation for playing the evening with his right stick held between his index and middle finger. He name checked Carmine Appice who did the same by times regarding the grip. He was a trouper that night. Just as musical  and creative as always, he wasn't fully in his zone. Who can blame him.

DanC

DanC

"The Force Awakens"

• Silver
  • 13,037 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit

30 years later, he was just as good:

equipmentdork

equipmentdork

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationNJ

When I used to take lessons from Joe, he would demonstrate how which grip one uses is purely up to you.

He would begin by saying,

"Watch this,"  holding the sticks with traditional grip. **blazing fast singles**

"Now this,"  holding the sticks with matched grip. **blazing fast singles**

"Now this,"  holding the sticks with stick between his middle and ring finger. **blazing fast singles**

There were one or two variations on that, but the point was clear: use what works best for you.

He had no dog in the grip race.

Dan

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 8,183 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Art Blakey switched back and forth between trad grip and matched. So did Roy Haynes. Even Buddy did it sometimes. 

These guys knew what worked best for the particular thing they were playing. 

Doesn't everybody do this? If I'm keeping time and comping on a jazz gig, I use trad so I can play broken triplets and multiple notes with my left hand. That's the way I was trained. But when it comes time to play latin or rock, I switch to matched, because it's not so much about a lot of left hand notes; it's more two-handed. 

Just me.  :occasion5:

Tornado

Tornado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDallas

Joe didn't care what everyone else was doing.  The drummers of his day had downsized to small drums, but he went big with a 13x9 tom, 16x16 floor tom, and a 22x16 bass drum...I think that's making a statement!  

Doesn't everybody do this? If I'm keeping time and comping on a jazz gig, I use trad so I can play broken triplets and multiple notes with my left hand. That's the way I was trained. But when it comes time to play latin or rock, I switch to matched, because it's not so much about a lot of left hand notes; it's more two-handed. 

Just me.  :occasion5:

Lots of people do.  I sure don't.  If I need more finesse in my left hand, I'm going to work on finesse in my left hand, not change my grip.  You're right though, It's a lot of how you are taught. I started out playing classical percussion, so matched it was.  Another instance of doing what you were taught...I really wish I had started out playing drum set open handed like Billy Cobham.  Crossing over to play the high hat is dumb, but old habits die hard.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users