Photo

Joe Morello - Matched Grip .. Take Five.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

SwivoNut

SwivoNut

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,767 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Here he is 30 years later. Didin't seem he had lost much in those 3 decades....

I noticed that his varied hi-hat patterns in 5/4 differed from the standard 2 and 4 he played in the early versions of Take Five. As for the dropped stick. he's always been good at keeping everything going while retrieving another. The first time I saw the DBQ back in the mid 60s, he broke the tip off his right stick during a solo. I was awed by his nonchalance in recovering. With a new stick in hand he came down hard on a rim shot and broke the tip off that stick. Again he kept it going with his feet and left hand as if he had rehearsed it a thousand times. I was sitting in the front row with my band and one of those stick tips landed on the floor in front of me. I scooped it up and later fitted it into a spent rifle shell I found in the woods, drilled a hole in the shell and put it on a key ring. It was my good luck charm.

Tornado

Tornado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDallas

Here he is 30 years later. Didin't seem he had lost much in those 3 decades....

I noticed that his varied hi-hat patterns in 5/4 differed from the standard 2 and 4 he played in the early versions of Take Five. As for the dropped stick. he's always been good at keeping everything going while retrieving another. The first time I saw the DBQ back in the mid 60s, he broke the tip off his right stick during a solo. I was awed by his nonchalance in recovering. With a new stick in hand he came down hard on a rim shot and broke the tip off that stick. Again he kept it going with his feet and left hand as if he had rehearsed it a thousand times. I was sitting in the front row with my band and one of those stick tips landed on the floor in front of me. I scooped it up and later fitted it into a spent rifle shell I found in the woods, drilled a hole in the shell and put it on a key ring. It was my good luck charm.

Cool story!

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 8,183 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Joe didn't care what everyone else was doing.  The drummers of his day had downsized to small drums, but he went big with a 13x9 tom, 16x16 floor tom, and a 22x16 bass drum...I think that's making a statement!  

Doesn't everybody do this? If I'm keeping time and comping on a jazz gig, I use trad so I can play broken triplets and multiple notes with my left hand. That's the way I was trained. But when it comes time to play latin or rock, I switch to matched, because it's not so much about a lot of left hand notes; it's more two-handed. 

Just me.  :occasion5:

Lots of people do.  I sure don't.  If I need more finesse in my left hand, I'm going to work on finesse in my left hand, not change my grip.  You're right though, It's a lot of how you are taught. I started out playing classical percussion, so matched it was.  Another instance of doing what you were taught...I really wish I had started out playing drum set open handed like Billy Cobham.  Crossing over to play the high hat is dumb, but old habits die hard.  

Yeah, there are lots of matched grip drummers who have amazing left hands. 

But at my age, I'm not changing from trad grip. It's so deeply ingrained, it would take me another lifetime to re-learn everything. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users