Photo

Expensive Cymbals Have as Much Impact on Your Playing as Air Jordan Shoes Affect Your Chances of Joining the NBA

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

bigbonzo

bigbonzo

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,858 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast of Ohio

Cymbals are or are not over-rated?

A great player can or cannot make even budget-line cymbals sound great?

DIscuss?

swarfrat

swarfrat

Former Member

• Members
  • 4,172 posts

I have a splash cymbal that could be a nice discus.

Edited by swarfrat, 24 October 2017 - 10:06 AM.

Mongrel

Mongrel

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey, USA
"Some" inexpensive cymbals are capable of being very musical. A mature player will be able to take those cymbals further than a lessor player. Some cymbals are just "cheap" and no amount of experience will make them musical....ever.

A good set of quality cymbals will go a long way towards improving the oversll sound of ANY player at ANY level. But a cheap set of cymbals will make any player sound like....well... I think we all know the answer to that one... Lol

Redbeard77

Redbeard77

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

You can make cheap drums sound better with heads/tuning/muffling, etc. but cymbals sound pretty much how they sound,

drummaman1

drummaman1

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 758 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

You can make cheap drums sound better with heads/tuning/muffling, etc. but cymbals sound pretty much how they sound,

Agreed, but I should mention the level of craftsmanship/quality of less expensive lines of cymbals is many times better today (2010's) than the amateur/semi-pro stuff offered 20-30 years ago.

crash

crash

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,186 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo,Ca

I'd much rather play a set of cheap drums with good cymbals, then the other way around. You can tune drums to get what you want. A clangy cymbal will always be a clangy cymbal. You can play it with more finesse and make it sound better, but you can't tune it. Gotta say tho. I play a local blues jam regularly. House kit has some low end Sabians on it. The ride is particularly thick. I traded out for my cymbals one night. Didn't hear any difference with some of the jammers.You gotta "play" thinner cymbals. Just bashing didn't bring anything outta them. Last time I'll bother with that!Attached File  21752870_10210455533049857_2418864729810435391_o.jpg   135.37KB   0 downloads

Edited by crash, 23 October 2017 - 12:39 PM.

On the one

On the one

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 786 posts
  • LocationWay out west
We still have to remember that a cymbal is still an instrument. Just like low end guitars, bass, drums and so forth. You get out what you put in. I'm sure Michael Jordan is still a great basketball player if played in Vans compared to his own style shoe. Here's an example, when I played football Nike had a cleat called Sharks. Everyone on the team had to have them and went out and bought them. They did not make them play better some were even cut from the team. I bought a pair of Adidas standard cleat made the team and had a decent career. I believe a set of Sabian HHXs would sound 10x better than a set of B8s, but would the HHXs make me a better player? Probably not....

shilohjim

shilohjim

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,369 posts
  • Locationshiloh, nj

I use the cheapest ride cymbal I own (Paiste 404) 95% of the time to the exclusion of my other cymbals that in some cases were 5X the price. It has a pretty, mellow stick sound with a nice cushion, a very musical bell, and a tremendous crash sound. What more could I ask for? 

Illbu2

Illbu2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationDenver

I have a set of older 14" Zildjian ZXT hi hats that i was given that sound so good they are always used for recording. The rest of that line always sounded cheap and clangy to me but those hats are sweet somehow.......

noreastbob

noreastbob

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • LocationRichmond, NH

Every cymbal is different. You may get lucky and come across a cheap cymbal that sounds good. You may even occasionally want a certain sound from a cheaper cymbal...BUT... you can't tune a cymbal or change the heads. Short of putting rivets in it or hanging a chain or something on it, you've got what you've got. There's a limit to the ways a great player can strike a cymbal and make it sound much different. Of course a great player will sound better than an average or beginner on junk cymbals but he'll undoubtedly sound much better on high quality ones. 

For this reason I am very particular about my cymbals. I've got all Zildjian and Sabian, and a lot of them. Even a few of those are relegated to the unused pile because they just don't please me anymore. I'd love to have some Paistes and others as well. 

So I check the "not over-rated" box.

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,212 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Life is short. Play decent cymbals.

Tmcfour

Tmcfour

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
I play cheap cymbals. They sound great. I have played both expensive and cheap cymbals that have sounded horrible. Shop around is my motto when it comes to cymbals. I have come to love Wu Hans. Their western crashes sound great. I generally play 18" and 16" crashes. And their chinas are amazing. Haven't tried a ride yet or hats but when I need or want new ones Wu Han will have my business first. If they suck I'm only out 80-120 bucks as oppossed to 180-400

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 8,339 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Yeah, I tell my students to find a cheap drum set, but don't skimp on the cymbals. 

Cheap ass cymbals won't make anybody a better or worse player, but when you get on a professional gig, you'd better have good cymbals. 

Edited by rondrums51, 23 October 2017 - 05:34 PM.

rculberson

rculberson

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationPalmdale, California

Proudly wear my Air Jordan's while sloppily playing the beats (on my Noble & Cooley drums and Paiste Trad cymbal set) that young children have mastered by the time they're 5 years old.  

troutstudio

troutstudio

Idealist

• Gold
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSouth of the border
The only rule is does it please you. Your sound is in your hands.

snurf

snurf

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationFinland

The only rule is does it please you. Your sound is in your hands.

Yes and No. Let's refer to the painting

The drums are like different brushes

The cymbals are like paint.

If you use cheap materials the painting will look cheap. Even if you're great painter and paint "pleases" your painting style

Monty

Monty

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,523 posts
Ugh, this topic yet again. Yes yes, a good drummer can sound good on any gear; We get it. But a good drummer will sound BETTER on decent equipment, especially cymbals.
I never understood the concept of trying to separate ability from gear. Yes we've seen Benny play on a Spongebob kit. So, why doesn't he play that live? Because ultimately it sounds like crap, isn't durable and looks ridiculous.
Can a NASCAR driver do as well in say, a standard Honda Accord? His abilities are the same so he should get the same results, right? The answer is of course no. The Accord has imitations that his regular car doesn't, regardless of the drivers abilities. Why should drum gear be different?
I love the endless debate about this, because try as many might, you cannot get around the fact that good, decent gear inspires you, makes your already good abilities shine through better, looks better and yes, sounds better.

MrDrums2112

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer

• Gold
  • 3,632 posts
  • LocationTolland, CT
Cymbals and snare drums - arguably the most personal aspects of the drum set. Drums may come and go, but cymbals we tend to cherish for a lifetime. Hard to replace that special ride or old pair of perfect hats.

bigbonzo

bigbonzo

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,858 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast of Ohio

Monty, I agree with you 100%  I was poking fun at a similar topic.

funkypoodle

funkypoodle

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Canada

One more vote for quality cymbals or at least meticulously chosen, less expensive ones. After teaching high school kids basic swing patterns on a stamped hunk of B8 this morning I can vouch for that  :laughing6:

I see cymbals like microphones. Intermediate is kind of the last place where I want to spend money. Either dirt cheap & totally usable/musical or high quality (and expensive). Everything in the middle ends up getting sold off & is harder to sell at a good price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users