Photo

Expensive Cymbals Have as Much Impact on Your Playing as Air Jordan Shoes Affect Your Chances of Joining the NBA

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

markkarj

markkarj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

In an earlier comment, there had been mention of how semi-pro cymbal offerings today are far, far better than they were 20 or 30 years ago. I'd definitely agree with that.

Will the audience notice good cymbals or indifferent ones? Maybe not...

On the other hand, I will definitely notice if I'm playing an anvil compared to something more musical.

That said, I'll choose based on the circumstance. A rock band will need something that will make a big sound. A jazz gig will need something with more nuance.

supershifter2

supershifter2

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,198 posts
  • LocationLost Angeles , Ca.

i can make a garbage can lid sound good

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Not everyone can afford super expensive gear. I think everyone already knows about the gear not making one a better player...that’s been said about 4 zillion times on this forum. We get it.

That being said, in my view, the best players today pay attention to details. Which includes sounds. Not just the playing aspect. A number of these great players (Matt Chamberlain) for example, will alter some of his equipment for that particular gig. That to me, is part of the genius of his artistry...selecting the right tool in the first place. I’m not going to bring a set of A Custom Projections to a jazz trio. But for a rock thing, I might. Anyways, someone like Matt is generally going to be using high quality gear to “help” him make the best music possible. That’s my view. It’s ok if not everyone agrees.

Edited by AtlantaDrumGuy, 13 November 2017 - 10:03 AM.

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,333 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

There are great more inexpensive options but cymbals are different. So I would say that a good drummer needs to be able to pick out some cymbals that help him/her create her/his "voice" on the set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users