Stomping

Drumming

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

iamanders

iamanders

• Members
  • 3 posts
I've been thinking a lot about stomping. As a piano player I stomp when playing a tune with drums/basss eg. Good hearted woman. What is the correct or best way to stomp your feet?
How is this conneted to drum technique? I wouldn't call the wayI use me feet when drumming as stomping but there must be a connection anyway.
I am not really after the correct answer but rather interested in your personal experiences. I actually heard from a drummer that you must be careful when stomping as it can hurt your body.

Hop

Hop

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationL.A., CA

I don't think there is a "correct" way... some do this as a form of metronomic computation (keeping time), while others are motivation by the "feeling" they get coming from the music.

I think someone may have been trying to warn you that the energy has to go somewhere when you are stomping your leg. If it doesn't diffuse to the equipment or floor than your body can take the brunt of that energy. I would say just to listen to your body, if you get pain from stomping, then don't stomp (recover), and then try to reign it in and do it a bit more passively/less aggressively in the future.    

I'm more of a foot tapper than a stomper when listening to music.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Drumming

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users