• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

cs1422

cs1422

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Latest acquisition - player condition '58 Slingerland in sparkling blue pearl. FT has aged to a really cool purple at the top. 

got them for a steal with a like new Starclassic B/B snare as well. 

Attached Files

2000dan2000

2000dan2000

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  • LocationRocky Mountain High

yeah! nice score! Mine are '58's as well ...love love love them!!

Attached File  325619_3282410700350_1230939214_o.jpg   70.91KB   4 downloads

SlingyFan

SlingyFan

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 853 posts

Sweet score, sizes? Love that era sparkling blue, and that fade on the FT looks super cool! A great players kit for sure, in my opinion the late 50s was the best sounding era of Slingerlands.

cs1422

cs1422

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

13, 16, 20. Rail mount on kick was moved, so two extra holes. Rack tom had newer mount installed, but I put the original diamond plate back on - One extra hole from that conversion. Snare has newer throw, but I'm ok with that. 

I had originally met the guy to buy some 50's zildjians for steal, and during that deal I learned that he also had a kit tucked away. Really glad that he never got around to listing it, because vintage drums move down here in Nashville. 

Any recommendations for heads? Leaning towards Calftones or Fibreskyns.

franke

franke

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,116 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

13, 16, 20. Rail mount on kick was moved, so two extra holes. Rack tom had newer mount installed, but I put the original diamond plate back on - One extra hole from that conversion. Snare has newer throw, but I'm ok with that. 

I had originally met the guy to buy some 50's zildjians for steal, and during that deal I learned that he also had a kit tucked away. Really glad that he never got around to listing it, because vintage drums move down here in Nashville. 

Any recommendations for heads? Leaning towards Calftones or Fibreskyns.

Do they have mahogany interiors?  If so, there's a good chance those are mahogany-poplar-mahogany, which have a lower tone and not quite as much attack as maple drums.  I think you instincts towards calftones or Fiberskyns is the correct way to go if you want more "boomph" and less "wumpth".  Those have rounded-over bearing edges so I would consider the depth of the collar.  I'm thinking heads with a shallower collar might work better, but I've never done any testing to find out whether that even matters.

Just out of curiosity, what is the date stamp inside?  I'm asking for a friend.

jptrickster

jptrickster

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,313 posts
  • LocationFairfield County

59 here. A fine sounding drum set

Attached Files

• Attached File  2378.JPG   142.34KB   3 downloads

cs1422

cs1422

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Snare - Aug 4 1958

13T - Dec 29, 1958 

16FT - Jan 1963

20 - Jan 4, 1959

These are mahogany with maple re-rings. 

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Percussionist Maximus

• Platinum
  • 5,205 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

Nice!  My 8 lug mahogany snare is 9/9/59 and I use a coated amb over clear......for my vintage Slingy kits, straight coated ambs top and bottom on toms, and fiberskyn reso bass and emperor coated batter - no muffling or strips.  I love the warm open sound of the round bearing edges.....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: slingerland, blue, pearl, sparkle, chicago

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users