• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

red66charger

red66charger

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL
I have to say...as someone who who has donated somewhere around $125 through the years at DFO ( I know that's not a lot compared to some...but still... it's $100), the site is just about unusable. I keep getting alarming pop up ads that look like virus warnings when using my Android phone, which is how I read and contribute here the vast majority of the time. I hate that it has come to this. Such a wonderful resource nearly killed off by the lure of the almighty dollar. Ben, I don't know what company you put your faith into to transition this website to a revenue generator, but they are killing it. Whatever they are doing to prevent malicious activity is a failure. I don't get this type of crap on any other website I visit. Just DFO.

I've made some great friends and trading partners here but I am going to have to start communicating with them exclusively through email now. I can't even respond to a PM I.received today due to the malware pop up. I
'
m more bummed out than angry. It was a good ride.

Attached Files

drumrtommy

drumrtommy

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 547 posts
  • LocationMesa
I completely agree, I know these guys are working to fix it but I literally can only check the site on my desk top. I just don't even know what to do

drums101

drums101

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana
I feel exactly the same way. The site is completely unusable on my iPhone.. Everyone is losing. Advertisers included.

Keeper John

Keeper John

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • LocationHamburg NY

works fine from my desktop PC...unusable from my iPad.

Sad.

orion

orion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationChicago suburbs
After reading other threads about this I see it's been going on off and on since midsummer. Funny thing is it just started happening to me since I updated firefox for iOS, the old version had no problem. Also interesting I have no problem when using safari for iOS.

JCKOriollo

JCKOriollo

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,076 posts
The common response is use an adblocker blah blah...but man that really sucks for the companies paying to have ads. When you are trying to build your advertising but the only way someone can use the site is with an adblocker that seems a little counterproductive. What a clusterbomb

drumbum91

drumbum91

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

I've kept quiet on this issue but its very disturbing, I admit I haven't contributed but this site was never about that. I use an adblock because I love this place and I'm willing to use that just to stay here. It sucks to see so many forum brothers leaving and there has been nothing said or any feedback other than basically "it is what it is". Ill continue to use the forum but I wonder as stated above how productive these ads are. Obviously they're working for one side anyways...

EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~

• Members
  • 16,106 posts

This donor member's inquiry was posted back in November and this particular "support ticket" has yet be addressed here by an admin or the owner. What a slap in the face, appalling.

phoster

phoster

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 645 posts
This has been going on for far too long and it is pathetic. Bums me out that we can’t get something basic like this fixed.

drumrtommy

drumrtommy

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 547 posts
  • LocationMesa
I would almost pay for a membership just to shut this off. Everywhere I got, ads. YouTube is filled with them, Facebook plays ads 30 seconds into a video, ads, ads, ads!

Olderschool

Olderschool

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationUsa

I used to contribute when Chris ran it. But I noticed it shifted to more of a "commercial" site after Ben took over. The first thing I noticed was the change in the "dealer" section or something of that sort. I figured then that this was shifting to a revenue site. We outgrew our charm and our size and traffic was our downfall. I'm NOT condemning because it is well within Ben's rights when Chris transferred the ownership.  

What I don't get is the business model? I mean.....I would think this would have been addressed months ago because, I am only guessing here, but traffic must be down? Even if not, it seems some of the most "seasoned" members have left and it is feeling more and more like the Pearl forum. I'm only assuming that fixing the problem isn't a priority because the cost must be prohibitive vs the upside of not losing members. I assume ads can't generate that much money.....but again, I'm simply guessing.

Anyway....we can all hope it goes back to a "community" without ads but it won't. It's simply a commercial site now and one must take all of the security precautions that one would take with any commercial site that survives on click ads. I'm too old school to use my phone to hang here so Ad Block had worked fine for me. I feel sorry for the others.

Billster

Billster

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

I am also seeing this garbage while accessing DFO on my Android.

I'm not running an ad blocker, and the only way I have been able to get rid of it is to uninstall Chrome, then reinstall Chrome on my smart phone.

Totally unacceptable that this has been allowed to continue for so long.

Billster

Attached Files

xsabers

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

• Members
  • 9,876 posts

I'm not running an ad blocker, and the only way I have been able to get rid of it is to uninstall Chrome, then reinstall Chrome on my smart phone.

Billster

I haven't had an issue nor heard of any issues in weeks or months around this place. 

JCKOriollo

JCKOriollo

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,076 posts

Billster

I haven't had an issue nor heard of any issues in weeks or months around this place.

I’ve been running Adblock. I wonder if they’d come back if i turned it off.

Billster

Billster

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Billster

This has been occurring on my Android for at least a month, and as recent as today

bigbonzo

bigbonzo

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,847 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast of Ohio

No response from admin?

drawtheline55

drawtheline55

Owner/admin

• Administrators
  • 3,368 posts
  • LocationBoston

I have responded to this in a few threads before, and I will say it again, this is NOT an issue with DFO it is an issue within certain areas of the internet.

We have put a service in to thwart it and it has worked to some degree, we are going to new software, thought that would have been a few months ago but it has taken longer.

I sometimes see this " I go to other sites and there is no problem so it has to be DFO" this is incorrect, the poster hasn't been to sites like DFO thats all.

People are sometimes acting like there is a magic switch.to flip..........well there isn't or they think we are ignoring the issue........we aren't 

Thanks, Ben

bigbonzo

bigbonzo

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,847 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast of Ohio

Perhaps Administrators could let us know on occasion what IS being done so we aren't left to just wonder or guess.

Edited by bigbonzo, 10 April 2018 - 02:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users