- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

douglasfir

douglasfir

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 594 posts
Thinking of adding one to finish a 4 cymbal set up (far right). From the videos I've seen it seems like it has a good bell, can be used as secondary ride and of course a big crash sound. Tried it? Have it? Impractical?

Doosh

Doosh

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX
They wash fast... as a ride one would have to have a delicate touch

mkelley

mkelley

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

I had one for a year and loved it. Good bell and was a great ride, filled a great spot in my setup. 

Mn02

Mn02

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationMA
I use one regularly in my cover band (pop and rock). I don’t like it as a ride unless Crash riding. It’s really an accent cymbal in my opinion. Trashy but less harsh than a china and a bit mellower than an EFX.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

Had a 20.....nice bell, very trashy crash.  You could ride it but it was very loud.  I taped it and it helped but deadened the crash.  I ended up selling it.......

rculberson

rculberson

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationPalmdale, California

I had one and loved the sound, but it was noticeably quieter than any other cymbal in that particular set (old A's).  It just couldn't compete, and I'm not a basher by any means.  Ended up getting rid of it only because of the quiet factor.  

aparker2005

aparker2005

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,959 posts
I agree they're quiet. If you're micd it should be fine. There's no cymbal I've heard like it. I sold one because of how quiet it was, but quickly got another. That sound is just awesome imo

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,238 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
I have both a COD and an EFX. The EFX is more aggressive and I think has more sustain. The COD seems to be more restrained. They both sound funky on their own, but in my view both shine in the right context.

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,238 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
I’ll add...I feel both the COD and EFX thrive better in a full sounding band. In other words, a band that has too much space (like a trio or perhaps quieter setting?), might be more out of place. Just my opinion only. I’ve used them both in church settings with great results, where the music was more on the rocking side.

aparker2005

aparker2005

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,959 posts
Mine is also my main crash on my small kit

AaronLatos

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang

• Members
  • 3,680 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

I've played and really like the crash of doom model.

In this general category, I gotta recommend the Amedia Aura EFX in 21".  It's a truly great cymbal: I fell in love and had to impulse buy mine the moment I heard it. Zero regrets, and if I could only save one cymbal of mine from a natural disaster, this'd be it!

Mine is a hair thinner and nastier than this one, but you get the idea.  Incredible.  Totally clean stick and played conservatively, it just sounds like a wide, washy jazz ride with a good spread.  Crash it and it's monster... but you never loose the stick, even when it's roaring underneath.  I put a couple rivets in mine.  

DWSlingerland45

DWSlingerland45

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,966 posts
  • LocationMount Holly New Jersey
+1 on the quiet factor... I ended up trading mine along with a couple other pies towards a set of K Con hats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users