• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

MillerMav

MillerMav

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Good morning,

I have been researching getting a custom kit built for me and am leaning toward single ply (Craviotto, Craft, etc.) but am also not opposed to ply shells either.  In my research it seems that I am torn between Ash and Walnut for a shell material.

My question is: If I were to do an Ash shell with Walnut reinforcing rings (or vice versa) would one impact the other in terms of tone or note?  I like the sustain of Ash but like the tone of Walnut (I think, I watched a lot of YouTube last night....lol).   I know that reinforcing rings effect sound in terms of pitch and sustain but could you effect the tonal properties of an Ash drum with the addition of Walnut rings?

I can't get anyone to return my calls/emails and I am assuming its due to NAMM coming up but I hate setting around wondering about stuff like this.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  

jaymandude

jaymandude

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 836 posts
  • Locationouter limits

Paging Eric Sooy

CarolinaDrumworks

CarolinaDrumworks

• Members
  • 265 posts

I haven't found different-species rerings to have a huge effect on a drum's tonal character, especially if there's not much difference in tone between the species involved. Ash and Walnut aren't all that far apart in character or hardness, so I think the difference you'd find by combining them would be mostly cosmetic. In the case of significantly different woods, it's possible that different-species could add or take away a little bit of bite from the sound.

Keep in mind that by the time the bearing edges are cut, there's not usually as much mass to the rerings as you might think.

BTW, there would be a more significant difference in adding a second species via rerings in the case of a shallower drum, because the new species would represent a higher percentage of the inside surface of the whole shell. So it would make more difference in the case of a 4" depth than a 6.5" depth, for instance. 

MillerMav

MillerMav

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I haven't found different-species rerings to have a huge effect on a drum's tonal character, especially if there's not much difference in tone between the species involved. Ash and Walnut aren't all that far apart in character or hardness, so I think the difference you'd find by combining them would be mostly cosmetic. In the case of significantly different woods, it's possible that different-species could add or take away a little bit of bite from the sound.

Keep in mind that by the time the bearing edges are cut, there's not usually as much mass to the rerings as you might think.

BTW, there would be a more significant difference in adding a second species via rerings in the case of a shallower drum, because the new species would represent a higher percentage of the inside surface of the whole shell. So it would make more difference in the case of a 4" depth than a 6.5" depth, for instance. 

Thanks for the response.

I am actually working with Micah at Cask with something that has the potential to be very cool.  Similar concept but a little more in depth and we think it may present a pretty cool kit.  I'll get some pics posted on this thread later on down the road.

ThomasMagnum

ThomasMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I sincerely doubt that the species of wood for re-rings would make any discernible difference in the tone.
I would go with whatever looks best, aesthetically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users