• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Salem street drums

Salem street drums

DFO Sponsor

• Gold
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationNorth carolina
Will all EAK’s have the large black K on the bottom? I have a set of hi hats that seem to have the correct stamp, and they look hand hammered, but they don’t have the printed K logo on the back side of the cymbals. I’ll post pics tomorrow.

zenstat

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd

• Platinum
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

My essay on EAKs etc should cover everything you need to know: http://black.net.nz/avedis/NAK.html

Not all the EAK hi hats have the K on the undersides of the hats. Some do. Some don't. But the lathing style will tell you if they qualify as EAKs or the later IAKs (or something else). There are also differences in hammering style, but lathing is often easier to spot. I've also got data on expected prices, but that isn't published yet. Let me know if you want to know something about prices.

Salem street drums

Salem street drums

DFO Sponsor

• Gold
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationNorth carolina
Thanks zenstat. I was hoping you would respond. That is a wealth of information you have put together. Thanks again for the help. Here are some pics.

Attached Files

DWSlingerland45

DWSlingerland45

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,088 posts
  • LocationMount Holly New Jersey
You see both types....with the K on the underside and some without. I can't say for sure but I believe the K underneath was short lived on the hats ...

zenstat

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd

• Platinum
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

You see both types....with the K on the underside and some without. I can't say for sure but I believe the K underneath was short lived on the hats ...

I haven't got any evidence one way or another linking presence/absence of a K underneath to year of manufacture. Since 13" hats came out in 1984 and 14" and 15" hats came out in 1982, I'm watching for 13" hats to see whether any have the K underneath. That's the only testable hypothesis I've been able to come up with. But even then we probably won't get a clear answer because ink can be cleaned off at any point.

Perhaps somebody realized that putting branding ink underneath hats is pretty much a waste of ink since you don't see it when the hats are in use? Rides and crashes, yes. Hats? Not really worth the extra inking step in terms of visibility.

Nice looking EAK hats, Salem. The real deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users