• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

dcrigger

dcrigger

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,794 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

For me, nothing tops the Haskell Hair books (1&2) for walking someone though the process of learning the rudiments - as well as how thy fit together with other rhythm in a musical context. Excellent for beginning reading as well.

scottpep

scottpep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Locationwinnipeg

I'll have to check those out. Thanks :)

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,418 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

For me, nothing tops the Haskell Hair books (1&2) for walking someone though the process of learning the rudiments - as well as how thy fit together with other rhythm in a musical context. Excellent for beginning reading as well.

Yes this ^^^^

Honestly, The above book was instrumental in my learning to play--not just play rudiments, but play and read drumming. I never had a problem playing in band in Jr High and High School and College. The 26 essential rudiments are taught in these books. There are others, as well. I noticed no Flams or flam rudiments in your list. Also, the long roll is great, but understanding the different length rolls and how they translate to however many beats they cover is important. Many of the rudiments you did not mention I consider of extreme importance. Ruff-based rudiments, flam paradiddles, etc. Rudimental and marching snare drum or practice pad drumming is just a small portion of overall drumming but all of it translates to the drum set. 

The other cool thing about working in books like these is the practice of it will create imprints of patterns, syncopation and various rhythms. It definitely should not be considered an end place but just as a window through which one may view the vast area of drumming in music.

And, like Crigger said, how these rudiments fit together is so important! Best of luck on your journey as a drum teacher!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rudiments, rudiment, practice, pad, lesson, drums, drum, teaching, teacher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users