• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

dcrigger

dcrigger

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,881 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

For me, nothing tops the Haskell Hair books (1&2) for walking someone though the process of learning the rudiments - as well as how thy fit together with other rhythm in a musical context. Excellent for beginning reading as well.

scottpep

scottpep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Locationwinnipeg

I'll have to check those out. Thanks :)

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,483 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

For me, nothing tops the Haskell Hair books (1&2) for walking someone though the process of learning the rudiments - as well as how thy fit together with other rhythm in a musical context. Excellent for beginning reading as well.

Yes this ^^^^

Honestly, The above book was instrumental in my learning to play--not just play rudiments, but play and read drumming. I never had a problem playing in band in Jr High and High School and College. The 26 essential rudiments are taught in these books. There are others, as well. I noticed no Flams or flam rudiments in your list. Also, the long roll is great, but understanding the different length rolls and how they translate to however many beats they cover is important. Many of the rudiments you did not mention I consider of extreme importance. Ruff-based rudiments, flam paradiddles, etc. Rudimental and marching snare drum or practice pad drumming is just a small portion of overall drumming but all of it translates to the drum set. 

The other cool thing about working in books like these is the practice of it will create imprints of patterns, syncopation and various rhythms. It definitely should not be considered an end place but just as a window through which one may view the vast area of drumming in music.

And, like Crigger said, how these rudiments fit together is so important! Best of luck on your journey as a drum teacher!

scottpep

scottpep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Locationwinnipeg

Thanks for the input. I fully agree I should have added flams, as almost Every rudiment can be done with flams. Maybe I'll make a V2... For some reason the last few weeks I have been really on a flam tap binge.  The thing that is great about doing that is that it is a group of 3 and works on your accents at the same time.  or, flam tap tap and your doing 4's even though it sounds like a 3 etc.   I do lots of paradiddle flam taps as well. 

I was expecting this to be more for people just getting into rudiments to not show all of them as it is too much to take on and you end up spreading yourself thin.  Even just learning these ten would help and you could add more after and start flamming.  Ruffs are good, and same with all the different rolls, but once again, I find once someone knows how to do a decent double stroke and inverted double stroke, it is easier to learn as now you just need to know when to stop. Not counting and trying to figure out how to hit the drum all at once for multiple lengths. 

I could almost break it down into paradiddles, paradiddlediddles, doubles, and 6 stroke rolls and you could get away with a half decent solo and some REALLY good fills.    I'll have to redo this video soon anyways because with the hours of practice I put in it sounds sloppy and played bad to me now. haha

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 11,483 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Helping drummers get a foundation is great. Not really reinventing the wheel though. Flam paradiddles, very challenging!

CesarAguirre

CesarAguirre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Very good exercises. Working on rudiments always cleans up my technique and adds words to my drumming vocabulary. I don't have all 40 down yet but my favorite for sure is paradiddlediddles  

scottpep

scottpep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Locationwinnipeg

Helping drummers get a foundation is great. Not really reinventing the wheel though. Flam paradiddles, very challenging!

I wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel. I just cut 40 rudiments to 10 that I ACTUALLY use often in my playing.     You can add flams to any one of these and make them even harder as well. 

I just know that far too many avoid pad work as it is boring and overwhelming, so rather than learn 40 rudiments to 50%, I always suggest picking 3 of 4 of them and shooting for 100%, 

cworrick

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
  • LocationNortheast Indiana

You want a challenge, go for the flam paradiddle diddle.

I agree the Harr books are a great way to learn the 26 rudiments, but with my marching background the PAS 40 (a few extra on top the 26) were a must to learn.  Some of them I think even have more use on the drum set (swiss army triplets and triple stroke roll come to mind first).  Harr's use of them in a musical setting is also nice.

My favorite to keep on the rudiments is actually the Charlie Wilcox All American Drummer 150 Rudimental Solos.  He does a great job of continuing with using the rudiments in a musical manor. He originally opened my mind as to how the rudiments can be rearranged and used musically.  With the first 100 short solos, it is a great read to just keep the rudiments and the reading fresh.

The best new thing to come out for the rudiments is Tommy Igoe's "Great hands for a lifetime".   Once you know the rudiments, he has a 5 minute rudiment drill you can learn and run through to keep most of the rudiments fresh and in your hands.  It is designed for rudiments that have more drum set use than all the marching ones so it doesn't cover ALL the rudiments. Even for those that Hate pad work, 5 minutes is NOTHING just to do a run through and keep things fresh in your hands.    Personally, once I learned the routine, I've stretched it to about 6-7 minutes.  Part of his 5 minute routine is to play it at a blazingly fast speed.  If I miss a couple of days, it is hard to keep up with, so I slow it down a bit.

Edited by cworrick, Yesterday, 09:20 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rudiments, rudiment, practice, pad, lesson, drums, drum, teaching, teacher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users