- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

LauraCai

LauraCai

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Anyone try one of these yet? If so, what are your thoughts about it. Looks intriguing for live sound reinforcement & maybe home recording, IF the digital side of it has nuance in dynamics & timbres, not just firing off single samples.

LauraCai

LauraCai

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationFlorida
https://usa.yamaha.c...ad10/index.html

Murat

Murat

Forum Guru

• Retail
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationAurora, Ontario

http://www.drumforum...=+yamaha +ead10

Lots of good talk about the EAD10 in the above thread :-)

LauraCai

LauraCai

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Murat, thanks for the link. I had overlooked the discussion.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,889 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
I love mine. Like Treviso said, this is a game changer! For me, no more setting up individual drum mics! My EAD goes into one channel on the board. I use it only for live sound reinforcement. It's a no brainer when needing to mic the drums up.

Attached Files

Edited by DanRH, 24 January 2018 - 02:23 PM.

idrum4fun

idrum4fun

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  • Locationsouthern California

I was at Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood yesterday, checking out the new Ludwig strainers. There was a nice, small, Yamaha kit set up with the EAD10 and I was invited to try it out. Well...I was impressed! The sales person and I discussed it's virtues for quite some time. One of my thoughts was how it would work for quiet practice, say with Mesh heads and cymbals. The salesman agreed! While he didn't have any mesh heads, he did bring over the Mesh cymbals in Ride and HH versions. Wow, they really sounded great through the headphones! I come from the generation of reel-to-reel decks and 16-channel mixing consoles. What you can accomplish with the EAD10 just boggles the mind!

-Mark

Edited by idrum4fun, 22 February 2018 - 04:37 PM.

T-Dawg_CDN

T-Dawg_CDN

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCanada

Do you guys mic up the high hat, or put overhead mics on your kit when using the EAD live?

Thanks

Troy

xsabers

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

• Members
  • 9,963 posts

Do you guys mic up the high hat, or put overhead mics on your kit when using the EAD live?

Thanks
Troy

For small and mid sized venues, it seems to pick up the hats just fine.

T-Dawg_CDN

T-Dawg_CDN

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCanada

Thanks
Troy

Thanks for the reply.  I'm looking forward to trying this unit out.  So far it's been good at practice.

xsabers

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

• Members
  • 9,963 posts

Thanks
Troy

Thanks for the reply.  I'm looking forward to trying this unit out.  So far it's been good at practice.

You should record yourself using the on board recorder and listen to the mix. That should tell you if your hats and cymbals are being picked up sufficiently. 

T-Dawg_CDN

T-Dawg_CDN

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCanada

Thanks
Troy

You should record yourself using the on board recorder and listen to the mix. That should tell you if your hats and cymbals are being picked up sufficiently. 

Thanks for the idea.  It worked great.  No need to mic up the hats, but I found out my USB stick isn't fast enough.  lol

gbow

gbow

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • Locationmichigan

RE: picking up cymbals. I've found just the opposite. I had to raise my ride cymbal a foot or so as it was picking up too much in the EAD. It wasn't much of an adjustment so it wasn't a big deal. I previously had my ride low and tight just over my floor tom.

Also, if you like a 5 piece kit and don't have your two mounted toms on the kick, but rather to the left side. It doesn't pick up the left tom as much as the right. Again it's not too big of a deal, just something to be aware of. If you run the two mounted toms on the kick, then the EAD mic module goes between them and balances better and probably also shields it a bit from the ride.  So probably if you run a standard 5 piece with kick mounted toms, all is good and in balance. Anything out of that norm and you might have to make adjustments.

One other nit to pick.. The stock presets (they call them scenes) don't have a consistent output level. Which will screw with your levels in your PA and is really unacceptable. The workaround is to copy the scene's that you want to use to user scenes and edit the overall output volume for each of them to match. Fortunately there is a setting in each preset for overall volume but it does take some fiddling with to them to a consistent volume level. You can't modify the stock presets, so you have to copy the preset to a user scene to edit it.

But it is a really nice unit and can really give you the ability to have different sounds in a live show, which is what I use it for. I will also record it when I do studio work along with the traditional mics, never hurts to have the option of mixing in those sounds. 

gabo

drumnhands

drumnhands

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • LocationBuena Park, CA

RE: picking up cymbals. I've found just the opposite. I had to raise my ride cymbal a foot or so as it was picking up too much in the EAD. It wasn't much of an adjustment so it wasn't a big deal. I previously had my ride low and tight just over my floor tom.

Also, if you like a 5 piece kit and don't have your two mounted toms on the kick, but rather to the left side. It doesn't pick up the left tom as much as the right. Again it's not too big of a deal, just something to be aware of. If you run the two mounted toms on the kick, then the EAD mic module goes between them and balances better and probably also shields it a bit from the ride.  So probably if you run a standard 5 piece with kick mounted toms, all is good and in balance. Anything out of that norm and you might have to make adjustments.

One other nit to pick.. The stock presets (they call them scenes) don't have a consistent output level. Which will screw with your levels in your PA and is really unacceptable. The workaround is to copy the scene's that you want to use to user scenes and edit the overall output volume for each of them to match. Fortunately there is a setting in each preset for overall volume but it does take some fiddling with to them to a consistent volume level. You can't modify the stock presets, so you have to copy the preset to a user scene to edit it.

But it is a really nice unit and can really give you the ability to have different sounds in a live show, which is what I use it for. I will also record it when I do studio work along with the traditional mics, never hurts to have the option of mixing in those sounds. 

gabo

The spread on the mics is adjustable, so you can tweak it out to suit your kit configuration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users