- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Jeff H

Jeff H

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

I consider myself mainly a "bass player who also plays guitar, but mostly wanted to be a drummer all along".

Most of my bass work was in spontaneous, jam-band type situations where a song could go 20 min.  I often didn't know what key we were going into as the band-leader changed from song to song.  Some were known songs, and some were just off-the-cuff jams.  I loved locking in with a good drummer.

I also played guitar and sang in a wedding/variety band for many years.

Now that my kids are grown, I am about to try yet again to break into drumming.  I have some goals, and I will likely attempt to find a good teacher to help reach these goals.

Bass gear:

Old MIJ Fender Jazz with EMGs

80's Aria Pro II fretless (replacement ebony board) with Alembic pickup

Carvin R600

Avatar 2x10 with neodymium speakers

Guitar gear:

Custom built S-style guitar, hardtail with Duncan Jazz and Distortion p/u

Epiphone semi-hollow Les Paul Custom

80's BC Rich Mockingbird with Duncan Invader and Duncan Jazz, Floyd trem

Fulldrive II

BYOC Trem

Crunchbox

etc.  (various wah and such)

Alnico speakers

Drum gear:

sticks

cowbell

um... shopping

rhythmace

rhythmace

Rhythmace

• Gold
  • 10,690 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Welcome Jeff. One of our forum pros, Tommy Wells, (RIP) always recommended Gretsch Catalina Club drums. A great value. Many here say that Ludwig has the best bang for the buck. I forgot what level they recommend. Anyway you also need to find out what cymbal sounds you like. I am a Zildjian guy and have mostly Dark Ks. They say the new Avedis As are very good at a lower price. You have to spend at least $400 total or so on hats, a ride and one crash unless you can get by with certain crash/ride. Bun E. Carlos used a crash ride. Most of us have as much or more money in our cymbals than our drums but it is not necessary. Ace

Edited by rhythmace, 09 February 2018 - 11:29 AM.

Jeff H

Jeff H

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm glad to hear that about the Catalina's.  One of the few kits I've actually tried out.  I liked them, but I'm too green to know anything yet.

I want to make sound purchases to start out that I won't regret as I progress.

rhythmace

rhythmace

Rhythmace

• Gold
  • 10,690 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Youtube, of course, has a wealth of information on everything. Tommy Igoe probably has a great video on selecting drum sizes, set up, etc. So much depends on your personal taste. Even though I am a Rogers guy, I bet the forum votes would direct you towards a Ludwig Supraphonic snare. I would want a deep one. Then again you might be a wood snare man. No one said the snare needs to be the same brand as the other drums. Next thought might be on the size of the bass drum. Do you like the real deep ones? Do you like the idea of the small tom on a stand so that the bass can be "virgin?" Ace

P.S. If you go the Gretsch route, Tommy had some head suggestions and other set up stuff that you might want to find out first. Guys here will remember. 

Edited by rhythmace, 12 February 2018 - 09:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users