• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

DWSlingerland45

DWSlingerland45

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,123 posts
  • LocationMount Holly New Jersey
Ok guys, just curious how many of you have a riser of any type or size in your practice space or homes? I'm considering building one once the basement gets remodeled. We had a flood after Hurricane Sandy not horrible but wet floors and soaked walls etc. After spending an enormous sum on a complete perimeter french drain w sump pump and battery back up. I've finally saved enough to get the basement refinished to it's original condition. My kit used to sit in a corner so I'm wondering if a triangular shaped riser no higher than a couple of inches off the floor would help protect it from another catastrophy. I was thinking 2x4 frame.with plywood floor and carpet. The 2x4's would be flat so really it'd only be 2" high, ceiling height is a concern down there. It would basically be a large triangle shape to fit the corner of the basement finished wall. Anyone have any experience with anything similar?

xsabers

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

• Members
  • 9,764 posts
Yep, I built a rehearsal stage because our shed floods at times. I used wooden pallets and placed plywood sheets on top. I then put pavers under the corners and at specific load bearing spots so any water will pass right through underneath. I also tacked carpet to the plywood. Worked great for the last 8 years or so.

Bandit

Bandit

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationCanada

I put my drums up in the hay loft.  Should keep the water at bay.  :)

28eb04d7-9ece-4b30-a60e-8606eb45a757_zps

Bandit

Bandit

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationCanada

If I was in your situation, I would build a rolling riser.  2 x 4's, plywood, and casters.  That way if you have to move it you just roll it around to a dry spot.  

https://www.google.c...Id9hjdQHWo3P2M:

Edited by Bandit, 11 February 2018 - 12:35 AM.

rculberson

rculberson

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationLebec, California

Way OT, but Bandit, would you mind PM'ing me with a little more info/insight on that drum set immediately to the right of your HUGE white set?  

DWSlingerland45

DWSlingerland45

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,123 posts
Bandit, man that view never gets old! I'd be happy with 2 kits set up and a snare rack :-) that's an incredible space you have there.

Bandit

Bandit

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationCanada

Way OT, but Bandit, would you mind PM'ing me with a little more info/insight on that drum set immediately to the right of your HUGE white set?  

I will just tell you here.  It is an early 1940's Leedy kit.  I started with a bass drum that I carried around with me for 35 years.  A short while ago, I added the snare, and two toms, from the same time period.  I stripped them all to their natural wood except for the snare which is still Duco.  

Bandit

Bandit

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationCanada

Bandit, man that view never gets old! I'd be happy with 2 kits set up and a snare rack :icon_smile: that's an incredible space you have there.

Sorry for mucking up your thread with my pic.  I was in a bit of a mood last night.  What did you think of the riser?

VintageUSA

VintageUSA

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 663 posts
  • LocationThe South

I know a drummer that simply bought two 4X8 sections of thick plywood and lays them on top of a bunch of Home Depot orange buckets.

Final product is 8X8 and about one foot high.....................buckets can be bolted to the wood, if desired.

Bandit

Bandit

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationCanada

I know a drummer that simply bought two 4X8 sections of thick plywood and lays them on top of a bunch of Home Depot orange buckets.

Final product is 8X8 and about one foot high.....................buckets can be bolted to the wood, if desired.

Only problem with that idea, is that he has a low ceiling already.  

skywkr2

skywkr2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I bought two plastic molded pallets from Uline and cut plywood to fit on top; it's only about 4 inches high and very strong

Mongrel

Mongrel

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,079 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey, USA
I laid out three 36" x 72" 1 1/2" solid table tops on top of cinder blocks. Connected the tops with straps and screws, laid down some carpet...done. No need to attach the tops to the blocks the weight holds it in place. Been there for 24 years now hasn't moved an inch.

Could easily do something similar with plywood and patio blocks (lower height).

I don't recommend putting wood, even lressure treated, directly on the floor though.

MillerMav

MillerMav

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationMichigan

My uncle once built my dad the best riser I have seen to date for gigging (if you feel you need one; I have never used one).  He cut 6, 4" strips of plywood @ 48" and then 3 4" strips @ 96".  On those he cut reliefs so that you could slide them together and form a grid.  Then just lay a 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" ply on top of that that had carpet glued to it and viola! Riser!.  It worked well because we had a full size van and you would just slide the 4'x8' sheet in first then stack everything on top of it.  It wasn't terribly heavy and would set up in about 5 minutes.

Edited by MillerMav, 13 February 2018 - 07:38 AM.

Mongrel

Mongrel

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,079 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey, USA

My uncle once built my dad the best riser I have seen to date for gigging (if you feel you need one; I have never used one). He cut 6, 4" strips of plywood @ 48" and then 3 4" strips @ 96". On those he cut reliefs so that you could slide them together and form a grid. Then just lay a 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" ply on top of that that had carpet glued to it and viola! Riser!. It worked well because we had a full size van and you would just slide the 4'x8' sheet in first then stack everything on top of it. It wasn't terribly heavy and would set up in about 5 minutes.

Sounds great! But I have to ask-how in the world did you fit a kit on a 4x8 sheet of plywood?

I play a four piece with 2 cymbal stands....no way I could make that work, unless, maybe if I used a rack.

MillerMav

MillerMav

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationMichigan

My uncle once built my dad the best riser I have seen to date for gigging (if you feel you need one; I have never used one). He cut 6, 4" strips of plywood @ 48" and then 3 4" strips @ 96". On those he cut reliefs so that you could slide them together and form a grid. Then just lay a 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" ply on top of that that had carpet glued to it and viola! Riser!. It worked well because we had a full size van and you would just slide the 4'x8' sheet in first then stack everything on top of it. It wasn't terribly heavy and would set up in about 5 minutes.

Sounds great! But I have to ask-how in the world did you fit a kit on a 4x8 sheet of plywood?

I play a four piece with 2 cymbal stands....no way I could make that work, unless, maybe if I used a rack.

IDK, but my Dad did it for 30+ years.  He played a Rogers kit purchased new in 71: 14x24 bass, 12/13 rack mounted on bass and 18" floor.  He plays open LH lead so ride/hats on left and two crashes to the right.  

swarfrat

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV

• Members
  • 4,715 posts

I will just tell you here.  It is an early 1940's Leedy kit.  I started with a bass drum that I carried around with me for 35 years.  A short while ago, I added the snare, and two toms, from the same time period.  I stripped them all to their natural wood except for the snare which is still Duco.  

People worry about risers, iso feet, and he's got a floor tom sitting on the floor..

DWSlingerland45

DWSlingerland45

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,123 posts

Bandit, man that view never gets old! I'd be happy with 2 kits set up and a snare rack :icon_smile: that's an incredible space you have there.

Sorry for mucking up your thread with my pic. I was in a bit of a mood last night. What did you think of the riser?

Oh, no worries Bandit. I like the height of it for sure. Not sure if wheels are appropriate in available space. Ceiling height is a concern for high risers, say 8" or higher. Cymbal stands etc would be close to the ceiling, plus need room for the arc of a stick. But the wheels do give me another thought. I don't need it to be " mobile" per se, but if it was removable say in two sections that would be very useful. Possibly I'll make it in two triangular sections that mate up cover them with carpet and you wouldn't see the seam.

Edited by DWSlingerland45, 13 February 2018 - 07:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users