Photo

"...Played on an all original 1959 Gibson ES-125T through a hand wired Princeton Reverb."

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 10,176 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.

...as Bogart once said, "The stuff dreams are made of"...

Edited by Elvis, 11 March 2018 - 04:04 PM.

rhythmace

rhythmace

Rhythmace

• Gold
  • 10,687 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

With that tone, who needs a bridge pick up? Hey, surely that body has been refinished? Ace

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 10,176 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.

With that tone, who needs a bridge pick up? Hey, surely that body has been refinished? Ace

Well, maybe just a little...you know....for "fill". ;)

He says the Gibson is all original...I assume that means the finish, too?

Elvis

JulianFernandez

JulianFernandez

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 801 posts
  • LocationInglewood, CA

sweet

tris66

tris66

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Location3rd world

I'll bet you $5 it is a reissue.

jptrickster

jptrickster

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,313 posts
  • LocationFairfield County
So Elvis guitar is your other instrument?

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 10,176 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.

I'll bet you $5 it is a reissue.

what makes you think so?

tris66

tris66

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Location3rd world

what makes you think so?

Well, you should have bet me and I'd have to send you a $5. I must be wrong... just looked it up. I thought that was a model that was reissued in a limited run. Musta got my model numbers wrong. I worked for a different division of Gibson for about 10 years... including through the 100th anniversary (1994) and worked on/wired a pile of limited run reissues.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 10,176 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.
That's very cool that used to build them.
Why did you stop?

Elvis

tris66

tris66

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Location3rd world

Why did you stop?

Elvis

There is a good reason Gibson is having troubles. It all stems from the ownership and their (his) moral compass. The problems were there 25 years ago. I walked away from it. Life is too short. I'm surprised that they have not gone under, yet.

I met some great people while working there. There were and may still be people trying to make quality guitars there. I would not gamble on a new one. Anybody who wants an acoustic that sounds like the old Gibsons I'd suggest checking out my friend Kevin Kopp, who worked there for years. He uses the traditional designs and hand makes each one. A true craftsman and a fine human being. I learned a lot from him.

http://koppguitars.com/

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 10,176 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.
No wonder Slingerland tanked.
Great insight. I'll check your friend's website out.
Thanks for the tip.

Elvis

Sequimite

Sequimite

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  • LocationSequim (skwim), Washington

I didn't remember they had a thin line. Looks very nice. I was offered a 50's ES-125 many years ago. My offer of $125 was rejected but I ended up with a '58 ES-335 for $125 (built in Dec '58 but actually a '59 model) and later still a '62 330 for $225 This should give you a clue as to how old I am.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 10,176 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.
You're young Sequimite, so very young.
In fact, you're so young, I'm gonna dedicate this song to YOU, my friend. Enjoy the sunshine. =)

Elvis

Edited by Elvis, 25 March 2018 - 06:18 PM.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 10,176 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.

Why did you stop?

Elvis

There is a good reason Gibson is having troubles. It all stems from the ownership and their (his) moral compass. The problems were there 25 years ago. I walked away from it. Life is too short. I'm surprised that they have not gone under, yet.

I met some great people while working there. There were and may still be people trying to make quality guitars there. I would not gamble on a new one. Anybody who wants an acoustic that sounds like the old Gibsons I'd suggest checking out my friend Kevin Kopp, who worked there for years. He uses the traditional designs and hand makes each one. A true craftsman and a fine human being. I learned a lot from him.

http://koppguitars.com/

tris66,

Hsve you seen this? - https://www.thestar....llion-debt.html

Edited by Elvis, 25 March 2018 - 06:19 PM.

tris66

tris66

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Location3rd world

tris66,

Hsve you seen this? - https://www.thestar....llion-debt.html

I had not read that specific article. I was there when Henry was buying up little companies left and right. I was there when they bought Slingerland, Dobro, Trace Eliot, Tobias, Steinberg... I don't even remember them all.... and I might have a couple of those wrong. It has been 20 years! I watched the greed and gluttony. Buy a respected name brand and milk it. Even simple little me understood the ups and downs of the music business to the point where I knew that it would come back and bite him in the ass.

The Dobro buyout was the one that told me what Henry really was. I think it was "Original Music Instruments" at the time and was based in California. After the buy out after Nashville had their ducks in a row the Dobro employees came to work to find their personal items sitting on the sidewalk. "Let go" without warning. I did not see it personally, but heard it from upper level management. Nashville sent in some of 'their' people to finish anything in production and ship the machinery to Nashville.  I had a dog in that one because I had a custom Dobro on order. Long story short my custom order "disappeared," however I did get suitable replacement which was the 2nd to last one off the line. I like brass snares and brass Dobros... yummy chrome-y goodness.... Shoulda bought some Slingys while I had an employee discount....

And there is a wonderful song by Frank Zappa called "Cocaine Decisions." ...Cocaine decisions. Yup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users