Photo

How to create a Ludwig Thermogloss finish or similar one?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Percussionist Maximus

• Platinum
  • 5,162 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

I have a vintage Ludwig 60's kit I will refinish but want to create the thermogloss finish, or something similar.  Is it just a glossy finished shell?  Is there anything else I need to do?  Was that nitro or poly?

I may have a pro woodworker do the job as my attempt would surely turn out poorly....any tips are appreciated....thank you.

mike17

mike17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Locationyour mum's house!

http://www.drumforum...mogloss-finish/

Hope this helps out.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Percussionist Maximus

• Platinum
  • 5,162 posts

No hope, Mike - it totally did - thanks!  I have no spray booth or compressor.  I was going to do a stained poly that matches the original Ludwig mahogany finish. It would be slightly tinted a darker red like this photo.  Note the original mahogany under the finish on the right lower part.  That is my intended final result.  Thank you.

Attached File  Ludwig pioneer finish.jpg   94.73KB   0 downloads

blueshadow

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along

• Moderators
  • 12,237 posts
  • LocationNorth of Austin, Texas
tmp_25838-20180111_155009_0011544740567.jpg

This is just a couple coats of Poly over clear maple,  I think it's fairly close to the right color and was pretty easy.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Percussionist Maximus

• Platinum
  • 5,162 posts

Blue, looks good.

I ended up doing a stain (3 coats) with 6 coats of satin poly over the mahogany veneer......it turned out pretty close to my above original snare color, but then I scored a Jazz Fest snare wrapped in chrome and stripped it to match the kit (it's almost done!)....thanks.....

blueshadow

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along

• Moderators
  • 12,237 posts
  • LocationNorth of Austin, Texas

Blue, looks good.

I ended up doing a stain (3 coats) with 6 coats of satin poly over the mahogany veneer......it turned out pretty close to my above original snare color, but then I scored a Jazz Fest snare wrapped in chrome and stripped it to match the kit (it's almost done!)....thanks.....

Ah I missed that you were after the mahogany color, when I was thinking of the "Ringo" kit from the link someone else posted....anyways glad it worked 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users