• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Christian C.

Christian C.

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC
Has anybody else noticed Remo's quality control slipping again? I had one fairly new 12" Pinstripe that wouldn't tune up to save its life, and I went and bought a brand new one today and it's completely dead on arrival. I put an older Emperor on the drum and it tuned up easily. What gives?

Edited by Christian C., 12 March 2018 - 10:50 PM.

Bugtussle

Bugtussle

• Gold
  • 395 posts
  • LocationTeXXas

Flippant one word response: Aquarian

Christian C.

Christian C.

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Seriously considering it. I'll probably go with the Super 2s.

Tanabata

Tanabata

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationNY

Gotta agree: I've been going back to these again. I used to love the DeJohnette heads, now I have modern vintage on my Gretsch toms and just put one on the batter of my 6.5x14 COB Supra: tuned right up to crispy crunchy super sensitive perfection, the tips of my sticks love the coating too.

bernard

bernard

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationJönköping, Sweden

Haven't noticed anything so far (but I'm on the Europe side of the pond, so a bad batch may not have gotten here yet). Too bad if his is the case, most shops here doesn't stock anything but Remo and Evans and most of my drums doesn't seem to like Evans heads (except for some snares where they are excellent).

Fun 2 Drum

Fun 2 Drum

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 6,102 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

Seriously considering it. I'll probably go with the Super 2s.

I've got to say that I was pretty impressed with Super 2 heads I saw and heard on a set in the local GC a year or so ago.  I might even be tempted to go that direction if and when it's time to replace some of my old Remos.  

Treviso1

Treviso1

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Call customer relations and send them back.  They will gladly replace them.  Things happen.  I recently took delivery of a bunch of Aquarian heads and had to send back a few of them that weren't formed properly by the collar and had a visible wrinkle that wouldn't come out unless you tensioned it way beyond a useful tuning.  Shite happens and things pass through that shouldn't.  It's not the end of the world and no one died.  Aquarian sent out new heads the next day.  Remo will do the same thing.  

Halldor L

Halldor L

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,802 posts
  • LocationIceland
12" double ply heads from Remo are the biggest issue. I´d say 40-50% failure rate in my experience. I just had the first bad coated ambassador a couple weeks back. That was a first one.

I´m going to check out CODE heads, english company.

Edited by Halldor L, 13 March 2018 - 08:27 AM.

BBeyer

BBeyer

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,480 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

I read something, maybe over on FB, about black dot heads coming through with the dots wayyyyyy off center

icetech

icetech

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Slipping?! It's been s*** since i started drumming.. i loved remo.. but got sick of constantly re-tuning toms.... switched to aquarian and it's like my kit is bathed in a beam of happiness all the time :) 

Buffalo_drummer

Buffalo_drummer

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

One of the reasons I switched from REMO, constant trouble seating heads right out of the box. It's either their manufacturing process or their QC standards.

Grooovepig

Grooovepig

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 574 posts
Lately I am having a real difficult time tuning some snare drums so the head is in-tune with itself. No matter what I try there always seems to be a few lugs that are either too high or too low in pitch. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm talking about Coated Ambassadors or CS under side dots.

Grooovepig

Grooovepig

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 574 posts
I should also point out that this occurs on 3 separate snare drums: a 5" Blacro, a 6.5" Acro, and a late model 5" Supra.

cworrick

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block

• Members
  • 6,320 posts
  • LocationNortheast Indiana

yup.

I'm another one that left R some time ago due to these issues.

jbonzo1

jbonzo1

DFO Potentate

• Gold
  • 4,746 posts
  • LocationThe Keystone State

My new Ludwig Heirloom stainless steel snare came with the new Ludwig by Remo heads. Coated Ambassador and Ambassador snare side. Both are perfect (I checked).

I still don't like ordering Remo heads online, I've been burned a few times.

Sonorholic

Sonorholic

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,891 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, MA.

It's been hit or miss for a while now. I agree that some duff heads get through no matter who makes em. The manufacturer should handle this but I've never tried to return a head. I remember learning to check Emperors way back before hearing about the 'tap' test.. but it works. You can generally tell how a drum head will sound by tapping it. If it's dead there, it probably won't sound good on any drum. 

My biggest problem with Remo is how much they 'wobble' when first mounting them. The Evans sit great on the drum but in some cases the issue just moves to the hoop/ head alignment. One of the reasons I like my old Sonors is the way closer tolerances in both of these areas. 

dwdave

dwdave

Groovinator

• Platinum
  • 2,215 posts
  • LocationDavis, Ca

contact Remo and see what they will do. I just had 3 heads from Evans fail. I sent them an email and 10 days later I had replacements. Stuff happens, and the BEST thing you can do is bring it up.

goodcat1337

goodcat1337

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSC

One of the reasons I switched from REMO, constant trouble seating heads right out of the box. It's either their manufacturing process or their QC standards.

I should have read this before I posted my thread. I literally just had the same problem yesterday with some Controlled Sound heads I bought. First time I've bought these particular heads. 

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,956 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

I have had issues with both Evans and Aquarian heads recently, so I don't think these issues are just relegated to Remo.

Heads are made by the thousands and a few bad one getting through can be understood. Fortunately all the head manufacturers 

are excellent with responding to issues and providing replacements.

jaymandude

jaymandude

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  • Locationouter limits

I have had issues with both Evans and Aquarian heads recently, so I don't think these issues are just relegated to Remo.

Heads are made by the thousands and a few bad one getting through can be understood. Fortunately all the head manufacturers 

are excellent with responding to issues and providing replacements.

It used to be you hated remo.  Kind of interesting it happened with the other two brands as well :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users