• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

shilohjim

shilohjim

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,421 posts
  • Locationshiloh, nj

I'll continue to use Remo until something better comes along. I don't like the way the Evans feel under the stick, and I don't like Aquarian's mylar formulation.

xsabers

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

• Members
  • 9,876 posts

It's not that all heads are perfect from any brand, but the rate of failure is what would concern me the most. 

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

I have had issues with both Evans and Aquarian heads recently, so I don't think these issues are just relegated to Remo.

Heads are made by the thousands and a few bad one getting through can be understood. Fortunately all the head manufacturers 

are excellent with responding to issues and providing replacements.

It used to be you hated remo.  Kind of interesting it happened with the other two brands as well :icon_smile:

Very true about my dislike for Remo. I stopped using Remo after the Pie logo came int being as I became frustrated by how quickly the coating wore off.

I have a friend that is a Remo Endorser and he has supplied me a few Remo heads and I am slowly coming around to embracing Remo again.

This is the first time I have ever had an issue with Aquarian. I reported the issue today and within the hour they replied to my email and they are sending me replacement heads. Now that is excellent service.

I have made the same request of Evans, so let's see what they come back with.

At this time my head preferences in order are :

1) Aquarian

2) Remo

3) Evans

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 9,184 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Aquarian has far better quality control and consistency than Remo. 

Shilohjim said Aquarian's Mylar film is slightly different, but I can't hear any big difference in sound. Their coating is definitely better. Also, Aquarians have a nice shallow collar, whereas Remos have that ridiculously deep, sharp collar. I have found that Aquarians tune much easier. 

EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~

• Members
  • 16,106 posts

The only recent Remo issue I can recall was some "ticky buzzing" from 16" coated Emperors, I had to replace both 16s on my BR kit due to an annoying tick sound I couldn't track down....but overall I still prefer Remo for many applications.

I like Evans clears okay, but I'll never buy another G1 coated head from them, I've had several instances of their coating smearing off onto the inside of my drumbag lids while in storage. It's like the white coating on G1s never cured properly and was still tacky to the touch. I'd go to open a bag and the lid would be sticking to the drumhead slightly, just enough to leave white residue on the inside lining of the bag lid and it won't come off either, this happened to 3 of my bags and the residue came directly from a coated G1 batter each time. I told Evans about it, they wanted the bin # from the hoop, and reluctantly sent me a few heads, which was cool, but I've since had the coating transfer onto another bag lid, again. I've looked at their coating closely and it appears to be some kind of paint, Remo, Aquarian or Attack don't ever exhibit any coating transfer like Evans coated G1s do.

Tanabata

Tanabata

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNY

The only recent Remo issue I can recall was some "ticky buzzing" from 16" coated Emperors, I had to replace both 16s on my BR kit due to an annoying tick sound I couldn't track down....but overall I still prefer Remo for many applications.

I like Evans clears okay, but I'll never buy another G1 coated head from them, I've had several instances of their coating smearing off onto the inside of my drumbag lids while in storage. It's like the white coating on G1s never cured properly and was still tacky to the touch. I'd go to open a bag and the lid would be sticking to the drumhead slightly, just enough to leave white residue on the inside lining of the bag lid and it won't come off either, this happened to 3 of my bags and the residue came directly from a coated G1 batter each time. I told Evans about it, they wanted the bin # from the hoop, and reluctantly sent me a few heads, which was cool, but I've since had the coating transfer onto another bag lid, again. I've looked at their coating closely and it appears to be some kind of paint, Remo, Aquarian or Attack don't ever exhibit any coating transfer like Evans coated G1s do.

I had a similar problem with brand new coated G1 heads on a 16x16 that I stored in a foam-lined fiber case.

EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~

• Members
  • 16,106 posts

I had a similar problem with brand new coated G1 heads on a 16x16 that I stored in a foam-lined fiber case.

Yes, it's a real issue. When I spoke to the Evans guy about it he acted like he'd never heard of it, but it's true that certain batches of Evans coated G1s (and probably G2s) have a tacky coating that didn't cure properly, so when the heads make prolonged contact with a drumbag the coating smears off onto the bag lining, very faintly, but it's there and it won't come out.

The tacky coating will transfer from stick tips onto cymbals as well, and as I mentioned I have 3 bags with the ghosting marks of coating from G1 batters stained inside the bag lid lining.

I won't be buying any more coated G1 batters.

I've tried the Evans Calftone '56 batters and they've been fine because they have a different type of coating and I imagine the new UV1 coating would be different too.

Attack heads never do this, nor do Remo or Aquarian heads - It's only Evans coated, the coating isn't curing properly.

Treviso1

Treviso1

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,172 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I'll continue to use Remo until something better comes along. I don't like the way the Evans feel under the stick, and I don't like Aquarian's mylar formulation.

I am with you, Shiloh.  Evans feel weird and sound weird to my ears.  Their mylar is just funky...their bass drum heads are good, but the tom heads and snare heads just sound thin and funky.  I like Aquarian heads, but other than the Hi Energy snare heads, they go limb and dent up quickly for me on toms.  Conversely, the Hi Energy heads just seem to last forever.  I really like/love them on most snare drums...Maybe even more than my coated reversed dot CS heads.  

funkypoodle

funkypoodle

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,785 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Canada

Yes, it's a real issue. When I spoke to the Evans guy about it he acted like he'd never heard of it, but it's true that certain batches of Evans coated G1s (and probably G2s) have a tacky coating that didn't cure properly, so when the heads make prolonged contact with a drumbag the coating smears off onto the bag lining, very faintly, but it's there and it won't come out.

The tacky coating will transfer from stick tips onto cymbals as well, and as I mentioned I have 3 bags with the ghosting marks of coating from G1 batters stained inside the bag lid lining.

I won't be buying any more coated G1 batters.

I've tried the Evans Calftone '56 batters and they've been fine because they have a different type of coating and I imagine the new UV1 coating would be different too.

Attack heads never do this, nor do Remo or Aquarian heads - It's only Evans coated, the coating isn't curing properly.

The UV1 don't actually have a coating per se. The texture is part of the drum head, so no danger that it will rub off.

Treviso1

Treviso1

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,172 posts
  • LocationMichigan
No one has yet to produce a picture of the off center black dot...? I sure would love to see one!

Piggpenn

Piggpenn

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationEastern Iowa

I'll just leave this here...

Evans.

drumfx

drumfx

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGo Habs go

It's not that all heads are perfect from any brand, but the rate of failure is what would concern me the most. 

i have fibreskins on my old kits and i found that the newer versions start flaking after about 6 hrs of playing. I switched to Calftone 56 heads by Evans. The bonus is that they fit well on old Gretsch drums most of the time.

Markkuliini

Markkuliini

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,225 posts
  • LocationSweden/Finland

I'll just leave this here...

Evans.

Wait...what is that? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users