- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Tama CW

Tama CW

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSE Connecticut

Been doing a fair amount of research in trying to determine how the YRC's stack up over the years.   This in the case I decide to splurge on a kit in the very near future.   

From what I've found, it seems the nicest vintage 80's kits (Birch/mahogany plys) bring more than the YESS 1990's/early 2000's (100% birch).  The newest ones seem to bring even more slightly used.  The YRC's don't look to have undergone much of change from early YESS to just a couple years ago....maintaining value better due to keeping the line stable.   Sometime in the past few years they got rid of the silver rectangular/oval edged ID badges and now have more rounded/puffy squarish ones.    There does seem to be a strong following for vintage 1980's RCs and even Tour Customs.   Don't know if that applies to 1990's and early 2000's. 

I'm completely confused on year/month letter date codes though.  Dating 80's and very early 1990's is easy for YRC's and Tour Customs/RTCs.   But somewhere in the early 1990's the date coding for YRC's goes out the window and remain 2 lettered....making a 1990's/2000's determination much harder.   My nephew's 1999 Yamaha kit is date coded PPP.   No problem there.  But how do you nail down date codes for 10-15 years of YESS RC's?  I see some in the 2000's with 3 letter codes that make sense.  Then there are 2 letter coded YESS drums that don't make sense.  For instance, what would be HJ in the YESS era?  1991?  Did they leave off the leading letter 'P?' (ie PHJ).   A later YRC with a code of QMN easily dates to July 2006.  So there must be a transition from early 1990's to later 1990's/2000's when they stayed with 2 letter codes.   I don't see how to use them.  It probably doesn't matter much as the drums stayed mostly unchanged very little from approx 1992-2006.   They moved away from T handle bass drum tension rods sometime in that era.

Value?   No doubt condition drives YRC's.  Real nice ones can bring 2X the price of "player" or scuffed up quality.   But besides that, how important are matching serial numbers....ie having the same year?  I'd imagine drum kits with mixed years would not be as desirable....especially if 2 or more years apart.   Though in looking at single "sold" drums on Ebay any YRC rack tom seems to have no problem fetching $200+ (and even $300+) if nice.  Beat up ones might only be $150 per drum.  Didn't know until today that some YRC's were wrapped...and technically those aren't "customs" but recording standards.   I'd prefer pretty acquered wood for a stay at home kit. 

How about sizing?  Standard sized/smaller rack toms would seem to be more desirable to me.  They are for other makes of drums.  The Xtra/power tom sizes can sometimes be a handful.   I don't see a problem though with going up to 14x12, 12x10, and 10x9.   As long as they aren't "square" power toms like say the Turbo Tour Customs.   I played on a set of those for a few months.  It was challenging to get around it with square toms atop a 22x18" kick.   At least a 20x18 or 20x16 kick would give you more room for power toms. 

Any thoughts or inputs on YRC's would be welcome.   1980's vs. 1990's/2000's?    Pricing for a very nice, ungigged 6-7 piece shell pack including 6-1/2 or 8" wood RC snare.....$1000-$1500?   Where's the best resale value and/or demand in the years of the RC line? 

Edited by Tama CW, 15 March 2018 - 11:31 AM.

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
I’m no expert but I had a couple. Standard sizes can command more money than power sizes. And Regular floor toms instead of the suspended.

See that’s part of the problem. Sizes. So many of them are power sizes and hanging floors. I’m not sure who wants those. Someone does I guess. The bass drums get a bad rap as well. I like them, but not so sure if they’re really that special over many of the current made drums of today (Tama Starclassic, DW Collector, and even the new Yamaha crop). If you close your eyes, will they sound that much better? Maybe. Maybe not. Good luck though...

The saving grace is the fact that they’re Japan made and at one time associated with some big names. But I gotta be honest, the new top end yamahas sound better to me.

Edited by AtlantaDrumGuy, 13 March 2018 - 03:19 PM.

Tama CW

Tama CW

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSE Connecticut

Thanks DFO Potentate.  I agree with the hanging floor tom.   Not a fan of those...except at a great price with stand included...and assuming it balances wonderfully.   Had some of those in the past that were quite "tippy."   In the end, it comes down to condition and price.   If I can find a real nice "full" kit for $1,000, I could probably excuse hanging toms and the like.    $800 would be even better...or an average of $100-$150 per drum.   :happy11:

Edited by Tama CW, 13 March 2018 - 05:57 PM.

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Guitar Center has several old RC kits for sale at 2K. They charge tax and shipping on top of that.

The hanging FTs sound ok, but I can’t take the look of it. I think much of their allure is dreamed up, having had some in the past. When compared to what is available today.

But I think the toms are great still. I could see getting the toms one day, which maybe I’ll do at some point.

Edited by AtlantaDrumGuy, 13 March 2018 - 03:52 PM.

hefty

hefty

DFO Potentate

• Gold
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationSeattle

From what I've found, it seems the nicest vintage 80's kits (Birch/mahogany plys) bring more than the YESS 1990's/early 2000's (100% birch).

The 80's RCs were 100% birch too.  It was the 80's Tour Series that were birch/mahogany.  

Tama CW

Tama CW

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSE Connecticut

From what I've found, it seems the nicest vintage 80's kits (Birch/mahogany plys) bring more than the YESS 1990's/early 2000's (100% birch).

The 80's RCs were 100% birch too.  It was the 80's Tour Series that were birch/mahogany.  

Thanks for that.   Got it wrong somehow.   And no way I'm spending $2K on 4-6 drums.

The links below have pretty lively discussions on RC's.   Several state that the 3 letter date codes are on all RC's after 1990.  I know that's not the case after looking at numerous YESS RC kits with only 2 letter codes.  It's both ways - some 2 and others 3 letter.    Anyone have a sure fire way to date 1990-2012   2 letter code YRC's? 

http://www.drummerwo...ead.php?t=81772

http://www.drummerwo...ead.php?t=96321

Edited by Tama CW, 13 March 2018 - 07:56 PM.

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 9,184 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Steve Gadd played them, and it's all hype. 

DWSlingerland45

DWSlingerland45

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,205 posts
  • LocationMount Holly New Jersey
I'd also like to point out that the mixing of date codes could be the adding of extra drums later. I've lusted after an RC kit for quite a long time. And they've always been expensive, so I can see where somebody would buy a 4 or 5 pc. kit and then add on late as funds permit. In my opinion the 80's 8000 tour series drums are sleepers! Awesome.drums at 1/3 the price.

Edited by DWSlingerland45, 14 March 2018 - 04:19 AM.

Tama CW

Tama CW

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSE Connecticut

I agree Drum Czar.   Been looking at Tour Customs in my region for the past 4 months to find something nice, in no larger than power sizes (power tour).  Unfortunately....they are all up there in price.  Must be half of dozen 5-7 piece shell packs around me with most of them in the $800-$1500 range!   "Best deal" were 4 piece kits (no snares) for $600.    I picked up a 1988 Turbo Tour set in black wrap locally in early December.   But those sizes were just too big for me to handle.  I added an 1988 SD296 recording custom metal snare to it and just sold that 5 piece kit with lower end hardware and cymbals for $575.   Didn't get a single inquiry on the 4 drums at $450.   So added stuff and sold it as a set.  Had they been a lacquered kit in power/regular sizes I would have probably kept them.   

There is one nice looking YRC YESS full set I'm considering that's a better deal than any of the Tour Custom kits.  This has mixed date codes of HJ/HI and QZ/QX somewhere in 1992-2013 time frame. Would like to nail that down more closely.  Could be 2000, 2011, 2012, 2013 or ???   Then again, once you're into the YESS era does anyone even care about date matching?  What if any price difference between closely matched codes or mismatched....especially when these kits are probably worth more parted out.   2 negatives are a hanging "faux floor" tom and an overly deep kick.  The "collector" in me prefers older drums...at least 20 or so years old.     

Since Yamaha's own published 2/3 letter date coding doesn't seem to work on these, I registered on their site and asked them for help.  We'll see how that works out. 

Found this today.   And should have realized what it meant.  A trailing Y also signifies a power size.  While a YJ is apparently standard sizing....at least that's the case for kick drums.  So 2 letter date codes with trailing Y's on the drum's serial numbers makes no sense to me.

The Y on the TT-908Y denotes the YESS version (93' and up), before then they were labeled TT-908-RC... The badges are another giveaway, the pre-YESS drums have that air vent hole in the middle of the badge while the YESS version had the air vent hole moved underneath the tom mount.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=61057

-------------------------------

Update for March 15th.   Learned a lot the past few days researching RC's.  

Looks like the 1st kit I was considering is SOLD.   It was up for sale for 3 weeks.   I knew it was a great deal and I didn't act quick enough.   7 piece, double kick cherry lacquer YRC YESS, which included a 1987 SD098 matching cherry wood 14x8 snare.   $1800 price included a half dozen A's/K's, double high hats with the DW9000 cabled remote high hat set up.   10,12,14,16, 20, 20 in power sizes.   Hardware was a mix of Tama iron cobra, DW, and Gibraltar.   Probably won't ever find an RC kit this reasonable again.  The extra kick + tom will likely show up for sale soon. 

Edited by Tama CW, 16 March 2018 - 01:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users