Chicago.Drum.Exchange

Advanced Member

• Retail
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationChicago

Hey Gang,

Just got some new barton kits in! 

Shoot me a message if you got questions, would love to see these go to a DFO members home! 

https://www.chicagom...ton&type=reverb

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 2.18.26 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 2.18.00 PM.png

Beefsurgeon

Beefsurgeon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Dang, that coffee pearl finish looks good!

Chicago.Drum.Exchange

Chicago.Drum.Exchange

Advanced Member

• Retail
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationChicago

Dang, that coffee pearl finish looks good!

Probably one of my favorite finishes in the shop! 

Chicago.Drum.Exchange

Chicago.Drum.Exchange

Advanced Member

• Retail
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationChicago

Just sold the Coffee Pearl! 

lcondo123

lcondo123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationCleveland

I'm really bummed the guys making these drums won't sell the lugs on their own, my B&B lugged Rogers kit is in desperate need of some new lugs! Those lugs match the old Rogers ones perfectly.

Those drums are beautiful, too. If I ever would be getting myself a new kit, I would go to Barton first!

slapstick

slapstick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Locationu.k.

good-looking drums,and probably sound great too.,.,.,.they own the factory which is in " asia", they say in their publicity, and continue by telling us they "designed and trained our factory workers",a strangely worded statement indeed.,,.., you can't help but wonder if they can charge their " great prices" because they get really cheap labour. the politics of musical instrument-making may not be so very different from the politics of the clothing industry,.,.,.i sincerely hope that isnt the case.,.,,..,

xsabers

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

good-looking drums,and probably sound great too.,.,.,.they own the factory which is in " asia", they say in their publicity, and continue by telling us they "designed and trained our factory workers",a strangely worded statement indeed.,,.., you can't help but wonder if they can charge their " great prices" because they get really cheap labour. the politics of musical instrument-making may not be so very different from the politics of the clothing industry,.,.,.i sincerely hope that isnt the case.,.,,..,

This has been addressed several times in other threads. I had the opportunity to speak to the owner face to face and go through a ton of pictures he had on his phone. This is not some underpaying sweatshop operation. I would gladly buy one of his kits. They look and sound great. I understand the reaction, but even the question as worded, is a bit accusatory and helps to perpetrate an unsubstantiated image of this operation. I understand why the question is asked, but it's based on a stereotype and not on what is factual about what I believe is actually an upstanding business. 

Chicago.Drum.Exchange

Chicago.Drum.Exchange

Advanced Member

• Retail
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationChicago

These shells may be produced over seas but there is absolutely no lack in quality because of that. I think there is a sigma to drums made over seas that still needs to get worked out in the community. I think you'd be surprised at how many fantastic drum companies actually have their shells made over seas. 

Radio King

Radio King

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  • LocationVA Beach

These shells may be produced over seas but there is absolutely no lack in quality because of that. I think there is a sigma to drums made over seas that still needs to get worked out in the community. I think you'd be surprised at how many fantastic drum companies actually have their shells made over seas. 

True. Gretsch Renowns come to mind. Fine drums indeed, for not a lot of coin. And extremely consistent build quality.

slapstick

slapstick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Locationu.k.

no, i dont think i would be surprised at all. it has a lot to do with western capitalism: having your goods made in " asia" can be one of the ways to make a lot of money as we all---all?-----are aware of and complicit in. also, coming from the u.k. , i have long experienced what you as an american have ironically called the "stigma to drums made overseas". but---anyway---this all broadly misses the point. i was talking not about qualities necessarily, but about ethics.

getting back to barton's drums: i regard the "factory in asia" aspect as a little bit insultive. doesn't that place exist in a country with a name?

i stick up for canopus drums, hand made in japan and sold from the company in japan to the world. they are expensive but innovative and truly great, and produced to the very best of standards in all ways. 

xsabers

xsabers

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

no, i dont think i would be surprised at all. it has a lot to do with western capitalism: having your goods made in " asia" can be one of the ways to make a lot of money as we all---all?-----are aware of and complicit in. also, coming from the u.k. , i have long experienced what you as an american have ironically called the "stigma to drums made overseas". but---anyway---this all broadly misses the point. i was talking not about qualities necessarily, but about ethics.

getting back to barton's drums: i regard the "factory in asia" aspect as a little bit insultive. doesn't that place exist in a country with a name?

i stick up for canopus drums, hand made in japan and sold from the company in japan to the world. they are expensive but innovative and truly great, and produced to the very best of standards in all ways. 

You are making suppositions based on stereotypes not only about manufacturers, but also consumers. The truth is that labor costs are not the only factor in choosing where to build. Often, the lack of government overreach in the form of costly regulations and taxes play a role. One reason Premier drums were famous for having Rolls Royce quality chrome was because the work was being done overseas in Europe where regulations allowed that process to be done. Barton happens to be a company that purchased an existing factory that was already making drums, but they felt they could do it better. These drums were being branded by various other companies. So Barton was created through a partnership with the head shell maker over there and the main distributor over here. They still make shells for other major brands, but now they also have their own brand. They will also tell you that making drums is simple once you have the basic knowledge and equipment and that they feel as if we consumers are being overcharged for things that don't really add significant costs to the manufacturing process. I was told about the costs of the different woods and how some premium woods were not that much more expensive than others, yet drum companies will often charge hundreds of dollars more when their actual increase in costs is only a few dollars per kit. I should mention that they source their wood from the same places that other drum major companies in that region do. I am taking about the big boys that we all know and love.    

I believe disparaging generalizations with no foundation, based upon perceptions regarding their choice of wording on their website is potentially damaging to their reputation on a drummers' forum. 

Edited by xsabers, 10 April 2018 - 10:37 AM.

slapstick

slapstick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Locationu.k.

totally agree we are being overcharged, so i very much side with them on that.

premier's chroming was done at their own plant, though many consider it was done at the  jaguar plant in the u.k after the WW2. the quality of their chroming was due to a particular polishing done during the process. this was not carried out for premier in europe. what happened with premier drums after the 70's i have little knowledge of , nor do i much care---which is the same for most of the classic companies once they discovered cheap production lines and excessive advertising.

i am not in the business of making disparaging generalisations without foundation. (( how defensive you are, and so eager to attack !! i hope this isnt stereotypical,.,.,.., !! )) anyway,.,,.,.,.i am basing questioning comments simply on what i have read --their choice of wording for sure----as offered by the company, no more no less. why write that stuff? and shouldn't we be doing a little questioning at such critical times for the planet and its inhabitants irregardless of nationality? 

xsabers

xsabers

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Facts vs. feelings. Sorry you feel attacked, but you have been the one questioning the ethics of a company you really know nothing about. For a young and growing company, false assumptions can easily become regarded as fact if they are stated often enough. Why don't you find out some facts about their facility and process? Not sure what critical times for the planet and its inhabitants would be affected in any measure by a small drum company, so no, I don't believe that asking leading questions laced with what can seem like implied accusations is at all necessary. Asking questions should be a part of finding truth. That means the person asking should be inquiring about the subject, ideally without bias. Inserting an assumption into the question creates a barrier that must be overcome before any truth can be discovered. It's not altogether dissimilar from the old joke about asking someone if they still beat their wife. Any yes or no answer can be a tacit admission to the "fact" that they did indeed beat their spouse, simply because the assumption was placed into the question, possibly based on no evidence at all.      

slapstick

slapstick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Locationu.k.

finding out facts like you did with the premier company .,.,.,??

oh dear .,.,.,what we reveal,..,,. now it's wife beating,.,.,.,.!!!

this could go on and on.,,.,.,.so let's leave it,.,..,i'm sure we both have better things to do..,..,

maybe i just live in a different environment,.,.,..,

cheers

Furious Styles

Furious Styles

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChicago
Seems like one of the previous Barton threads would be better suited than a retail row thread about specific kits, anyway.

xsabers

xsabers

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

finding out facts like you did with the premier company .,.,.,??

oh dear .,.,.,what we reveal,..,,. now it's wife beating,.,.,.,.!!!

this could go on and on.,,.,.,.so let's leave it,.,..,i'm sure we both have better things to do..,..,

maybe i just live in a different environment,.,.,..,

cheers

What facts about Premier???? All I said was they had higher quality chrome than US made hardware. Effing troll...

slapstick

slapstick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Locationu.k.

quote from you: One reason Premier drums were famous for having Rolls Royce quality chrome was because the work was being done overseas in Europe where regulations allowed that process to be done.

incorrect information.

anyway.,.,.,basta,,.,,.finito

Chicago.Drum.Exchange

Chicago.Drum.Exchange

Advanced Member

• Retail
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationChicago

Anyone who has questions about Bartons:

You're more than welcome to message me with any questions or concerns. If I can't answer a question, I will do my best to get you an answer. That being said, a lot of the things mentioned in this thread have been answered in previous Barton threads that I have hop'd in. 

We at the music exchange really do stand behind these kits and their quality and we are really excited to see that they are taking off. I think the more people get to sit behind these kits, the more people will understand how good of a deal these kits really are. 

douglasfir

douglasfir

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 870 posts
I have a Barton orange sparkle...but I also NEED that coffee pearl.

wayne

wayne

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 836 posts
  • Locationcanada

Very.true regarding the minimal spread between wood speices cost. Its not that much when referring to a kit, so yeah, money can be made there. Where the difference is that drummers don't appear to pay to much attention to at times, is the quality of the metal used for hoops, lugs, rods etc. There is quality metal and there is very poor quality which can make a huge difference in a drum kit.

I wont open this up here, but you should look up the difference. Its scary whats available these days....beware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users