Photo

Adding Tom Bracket w/o Cutting a Big Hole?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

nk126

nk126

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Locationoakland ca

I have a 10" tom w/o any mounting bracket attached to it - always been hung from a suspension mount. 

I'd like to put a Slingerland HSS-era bracket on it to match the rest of my kit. It's a Pearl-style mount that accepts tube. The other toms on my kit have holes cut into the drum at the factory so the tube goes through the shell - basically like an old style Pearl tom before suspension mounts came into vogue.

Is it an okay idea or a bad idea to attach the mount to the 10" tom without cutting a big hole into the shell for the tube? If the tube only goes into the bracket itself, and not through the shell into the drum, will it hold up ok during playing, or am I asking for trouble? 

I can mount the bracket to the shell myself just fine, but I don't have the tools or skills to cut a hole for the tube to pass through the shell.

Thanks for advice!

repete

repete

This one goes to eleven

• Members
  • 4,273 posts
  • Locationsouth florida

i think it would depend on how deep the bracket is - if the tube goes in far enough into bracket you should be fine with no hole in the shell -

if the bracket is hollow you may want to protect the shell from the tube somehow

burgundy

burgundy

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 624 posts
  • Locationn.b. canada

if there is a hole for tube to pass thru it is bigger than the tube, the shell does not rest on the tube, only thing hole allows is the drum to be adjusted , with out a hole you may need to cut the tube off at right length  to place tom in proper playing place.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,583 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

Other than the 2 important considerations above, it also depends on the weight of the tom - if super heavy, I'd be worried about extra pressure on the mount that could either crack the metal or worse, snap the screws, or more worse, snap the screws thru the shell......

Finally, if the tube is not protected, and if it hits the outside edge of the tom, it could damage the finish.

You should be able to easily drill a large hole for the tube if you really want to mod the drum.  Obviously, the mount will damage the drum versus keeping it virgin if you really don't want to keep it hung.  Maybe consider a better suspension mount?

nk126

nk126

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Locationoakland ca

Other than the 2 important considerations above, it also depends on the weight of the tom - if super heavy, I'd be worried about extra pressure on the mount that could either crack the metal or worse, snap the screws, or more worse, snap the screws thru the shell......
Finally, if the tube is not protected, and if it hits the outside edge of the tom, it could damage the finish.

You should be able to easily drill a large hole for the tube if you really want to mod the drum. Obviously, the mount will damage the drum versus keeping it virgin if you really don't want to keep it hung. Maybe consider a better suspension mount?

This is purely a Looks thing. I added this tom to the kit - it’s not an original Slingy or even a Slingy shell. Id love for it to match the other toms looks wise, and the mount is the final step.

mgy*cqd

mgy*cqd

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Were it mine, I'd put the mount on the drum using oversized washers to distribute the weight of the shell. Put a gasket under the mount to protect the shell's finish and don't drill a hole for the tube.  Try it and see how it looks, sounds and works.  If all's good, cut to the tube to the desired length. If you decide you need to pass the tube through the shell, you can always drill that hole later.  

nk126

nk126

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Locationoakland ca

Were it mine, I'd put the mount on the drum using oversized washers to distribute the weight of the shell. Put a gasket under the mount to protect the shell's finish and don't drill a hole for the tube.  Try it and see how it looks, sounds and works.  If all's good, cut to the tube to the desired length. If you decide you need to pass the tube through the shell, you can always drill that hole later.  

I like it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users