• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Roch

Roch

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,356 posts
  • LocationOttawa Valley, Ontario

Seems funny how they sell hardware and other gadgets to maximize floor tom isolation and resonance and then also sell gig and stick bags to hang off of the lugs..I was never crazy about hanging a stick bag off of my floor tom..it was actually one place I could notice a big difference in the drum sound..

davezedlee

davezedlee

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationToronto
Well, if the guys who sell drum bags AND iso feet do it as a package, you may have a point

Otherwise, not so much

NYFrank

NYFrank

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationNortheast U.S.

I hang accessories off my - hi hat stand.    :)   

Vater makes super stick and drink holders that attach to stands.   

Attached Files

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,708 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
That’s why I have a free standing stick bag. I never hang stuff off my FT.

CherryClassic

CherryClassic

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,820 posts
  • LocationBuda, Texas

I never hang stuff off my FT either.  I noticed a picture with a stick holder clamped to a floor tom leg.  My first thought was a cool place then I happened to think how important the legs are to resonance.  But then again if your floor tom has too much resonance then maybe that works.

I like my floor toms to sound big with a big boom.

sherm

Merlin5

Merlin5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

I don't have a floor tom, I use a hanging 15" Yamaha 9000RC. Can't say I've ever worried about hanging my stick bag from it. In fact, I've got some muffling on the top head. I just have to make sure the tom  holder wing screw is tight otherwise the stick bag can pull it down a bit.

CherryClassic

CherryClassic

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,820 posts
  • LocationBuda, Texas

BTW:  I purchased some Flex-Tips from Gauger Percussion and these things really work.  I put them on my Catalina Club 14x14 tom and that thing sings.

http://www.gaugerper...-isolators.html

Not cheep but worth the price.  Any type of ISO feet you can buy that attaches to the leg is the way to go.  I normally use cut pieces of foam which is the cheapest way to go if you have that laying around but then that is one more thing(3) to put up with.  Every time I bend over to pick one up it seem the floor gets farther away each time.

sherm

dwdave

dwdave

Groovinator

• Platinum
  • 2,210 posts
  • LocationDavis, Ca

I've noticed a difference as well. I do think the Pearl tips help alot but they don't isolate 100% with a stick bag on. 

DrumWhipper

DrumWhipper

• Gold
  • 495 posts
  • LocationArkansas
Much like others have stated, I dont hang anything from my floor tom. I also like that low, fat tone, and adding a stick bag takes that away.

Roch

Roch

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,356 posts

Edited by Roch, 14 April 2018 - 12:42 PM.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,708 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

BTW:  I purchased some Flex-Tips from Gauger Percussion and these things really work.  I put them on my Catalina Club 14x14 tom and that thing sings.

Not cheep but worth the price.  Any type of ISO feet you can buy that attaches to the leg is the way to go.  I normally use cut pieces of foam which is the cheapest way to go if you have that laying around but then that is one more thing(3) to put up with.  Every time I bend over to pick one up it seem the floor gets farther away each time.

sherm

I thought Gauger was going out of business. Hope not...

ThomFloor

ThomFloor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

A few sticks in a cloth bag?  The sonic differences when playing out with a band or even the drums by themselves are pretty much undetectable unless one keeps golf clubs or rolls of coins in a stick bag. 

NYFrank

NYFrank

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationNortheast U.S.

A few sticks in a cloth bag?  The sonic differences when playing out with a band or even the drums by themselves are pretty much undetectable unless one keeps golf clubs or rolls of coins in a stick bag. 

I gotta agree.  There are often threads here where someone is sweating something that would only be detectable in a studio.  In most live situations, it wouldn't be audible.  

Roch

Roch

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,356 posts
True, but there are also threads about hernias and hemroids, so, at least this one is drum related.

This thread was a bit toungue and cheek but I guess it was lost in translation. I’ll use winky icons next time.

Edited by Roch, 14 April 2018 - 02:05 PM.

High on Stress

High on Stress

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,806 posts
  • LocationMPLS
The whole argument of “who can tell the difference” or “nobody’s going to notice that out front” renders this entire forum pointless!

ThomFloor

ThomFloor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

True, but there are also threads about hernias and hemroids, so, at least this one is drum related.

This thread was a bit toungue and cheek but I guess it was lost in translation. I’ll use winky icons next time.

Well actually I understood the irony you were initially referring to - selling fancy isolation feet for resonance but then hanging a stick bag to counter that.  While at it - the 'hanging' stick bag - clearly not used by a plethora of drummers in the 60's - who shoved them in between the bass drum tension rods. I bet that did make a sonic difference.....certainly in a studio.

Sowho was the genius who added loops to stick bags for hanging anyway?

Edited by ThomFloor, 14 April 2018 - 03:09 PM.

Woody85

Woody85

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 768 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
I used to hang my stick bag from my floor tom but a few weeks ago the one attachment finally gave way after years of work. Now I just lean the bag against the Tom.

CherryClassic

CherryClassic

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,820 posts
  • LocationBuda, Texas

sherm

Yes, they did close up for a short time around the end of last year but as per Gauger, due to customer demands they decided to continue with the business.

sherm

ARGuy

ARGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,712 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

sherm

Yes, they did close up for a short time around the end of last year but as per Gauger, due to customer demands they decided to continue with the business.

sherm

They never did close; they had planned to quit making the aluminum RIMS mounts because they were becoming too expensive. Enough drummers have been willing to pay more for them that they have continued to make them as well as the other products like the Flex Frame and the Flex Tips.

supershifter2

supershifter2

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,489 posts
  • LocationLost Angeles , Ca.

hanging stuff on a tom is different then a tom coupled to the floor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users