- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

backtodrum

backtodrum

• Members
  • 491 posts
  • LocationNew mexico

I get it that stuff effects the sound of other stuff.  I get it that even if it's a small change, that bothers some artists more than others.

Now the whole leap to, "if you don't agree that it's a problem then you don't care about your craft and your attitude is the reason the economy sucks", that's where I have to step back and shake my head.  And to add to this, now we need to define who is listening (the audience),,, apparently.  

If you want to use a stick bag do it, it really doesn't make that much difference.  If you don't like the way it changes your kit's tone then don't use one.  That is fine too.  

I'm really looking forward to the next thread diving deeply into the decay of family values caused by attaching a woodblock or cowbell to drum kits.

lol! Great post!

ARGuy

ARGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,712 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Now the whole leap to, "if you don't agree that it's a problem then you don't care about your craft and your attitude is the reason the economy sucks", that's where I have to step back and shake my head.  And to add to this, now we need to define who is listening (the audience),,, apparently.  

Who posted that?

DDGarner

DDGarner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Who posted that?

I know, right?!  Pa-lease.

I can't imagine anyone that takes the time to join and participate in a drum forum does not care about their craft or about the quality of the product they produce either recorded or live.  The assumption that an artist who has the opinion that patrons in a bar, dance hall or attending a music show can not tell the difference in a floor tom that has or does not have a stick bag makes that artist less than fully committed is absurd.  Making the connection to workers that are not engaged just because someone believes the tonal effect of a stick bag is not an issue is just as absurd.  

I do not think that it matters to my listening audience in a live setting whether or not I have a stick bag.  That does not make me or anyone else that shares that same opinion less of an artist or less engaged in wanting what is best for our listeners.  

ARGuy

ARGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,712 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Who posted that?

I can't imagine anyone that takes the time to join and participate in a drum forum does not care about their craft or about the quality of the product they produce either recorded or live.  The assumption that an artist who has the opinion that patrons in a bar, dance hall or attending a music show can not tell the difference in a floor tom that has or does not have a stick bag makes that artist less than fully committed is absurd.  Making the connection to workers that are not engaged just because someone believes the tonal effect of a stick bag is not an issue is just as absurd.  

I do not think that it matters to my listening audience in a live setting whether or not I have a stick bag.  That does not make me or anyone else that shares that same opinion less of an artist or less engaged in wanting what is best for our listeners.  

Pa-lease yourself. Read my post again.

Done? Good. Please point out to me where I accused anyone on this forum of not caring about their craft if they put a stickbag on their floor tom. Find it yet?

No, because it's not there. Any offense you took with what I wrote is on you. You inferred things from my post that simply aren't there.

To recap things for you, my post was about my attitudes and the standards I set for myself based in part on my non-musical experiences.  Nowhere did I say that anyone that doesn't share my attitudes doesn't care about their craft. If you want to get offended because I said some of the factory workers I worked with 30 years ago took a "pays the same" attitude, and you think I'm being too judgmental, then you have a point.

If you're going to take issue with what someone posts here, be adult about it and either quote their post as part of your post, or take the time to read it twice so you get it right next time.

DDGarner

DDGarner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Who posted that?

Pa-lease yourself. Read my post again.

Done? Good. Please point out to me where I accused anyone on this forum of not caring about their craft if they put a stickbag on their floor tom. Find it yet?

No, because it's not there. Any offense you took with what I wrote is on you. You inferred things from my post that simply aren't there.

To recap things for you, my post was about my attitudes and the standards I set for myself based in part on my non-musical experiences.  Nowhere did I say that anyone that doesn't share my attitudes doesn't care about their craft. If you want to get offended because I said some of the factory workers I worked with 30 years ago took a "pays the same" attitude, and you think I'm being too judgmental, then you have a point.

If you're going to take issue with what someone posts here, be adult about it and either quote their post as part of your post, or take the time to read it twice so you get it right next time.

Oh my goodness you are soooo serious!  It's amazing how a stick bag can freak you out so badly.  You really need to take a step back and ease up on telling folks what to do.  That's just rude man.  :)

The inference is there when you posted your story about not caring about work ethic and work attitude in this thread.  Your sophomoric attempt to avoid being called out by demanding a direct quote is just sad.  Take a chill pill and own what you post.  You and most everyone here know what was intended by your story.  You were implying that folks that say the audience will not know any difference are much like the workers in your story.   

Whatever man,, it's time to move on in the drum world.  

This has gone as far as it needs to.   I'm sure you are a great guy and can be intelligent when not so angry.  Hey, if you are a drummer then you are ok with me.  

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members
  • 10,131 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Wa.

If hanging a stick bag from your floor tom bugs you, then DON'T

Elvis

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll

• Members