• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

gezz

gezz

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,705 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Scotland
We know that Charlie's favourite crash was a paiste 16" 602 thin crash..
In the Paste 1981 "profiles" book, Charlie's set up was the following

15" 602 sound edge hats
20" 2002 medium
20" 602 medium Ride
18" 602 thin crash

I love the drum sound on the album Black and Blue.. The following set up I find come close to the actual sounds..

13" 2002 sound edge
16" 602 thin crash
20" 602 medium Ride
19" 2002 crash

This set up just sounds so classic.. Yes yes my shiney A Customs are having a rest in cymbal bag.. My only two paiste crashes I have left..

Gerry

Rik_Everglade

Rik_Everglade

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  • LocationSilver Creek, NY

I saw that Charlie appeared in a Paiste famous setups catalogue: I doubted that he ever used Paiste... I was pretty certain that for most of his career, he's had mostly Zildjian, especially his hihats – then sometime in the 70s he acquired some UFIPS that have served him well; china and flats. But haven't his cymbals mostly been Zildjian and UFIP?

gezz

gezz

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,705 posts
You are totally right.. Yeah he loves those ufip China's.. The old Avedis hats and the Italian flat ride.. Also ufip I think.. Charlie did use his paiste set up from late 70s till early 80s..

Rik_Everglade

Rik_Everglade

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
I learned something new! Thanks.

Johnny D

Johnny D

• Double Platinum
  • 332 posts
  • LocationScituate, Mass. USA

Ah, a post about a man near and dear to my heart... I wrote an article about Charlie for the current issue of Vintage Drums Legendary Sounds and also discussed his cymbals. You can download it here: https://www.vintaged...ndarysounds.com. It's worth checking out...  

As I said in the article, Charlie told me he used a mixture of A. Zildjian and Paiste throughout the years, but has never been specific as to which cymbals were used on specific recordings. He did indeed use a Paiste 16" pre-serial 602 crash from about 1968 until it cracked in 2007. That was his main "crash" until he started using the 18" UFIP china as his main "crash" sound, but he continued to use the 16" 602, placed above his floor tom. The 602 is what you hear on Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, etc.

I sent him a set of the A. Zildjian & CIE cymbals when they came out and he liked the 16" in particular and used it for his other projects. So when he cracked the Paiste, I sent him another 16" CIE crash and that's what he's using currently. 

I don't think the 1981 Profiles book is accurate as far as Charlie is concerned. There's an older version (I believe the first book?) that references him using a 20" Giant Beat, which I think is more accurate. The cymbals on "Let It Bleed" and "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" (both from 1969) sound like a 20" Giant Beat, 16" 602 (thin) crash and 15" GB Hi-hats. I believe he continued to use the 20" Giant Beat until the early/mid 70s when he may have started using a 20" 2002, due to GB's no longer being available. His hi-hats back then (early 70s) were either 14" 602s or 14" A. New Beats. Most likely 602s until the 80s. 

His cymbals on Black and Blue sound especially nice and my best estimation is they are Paiste, since it was recorded in '74/75. When they toured in '75, he was playing all Paiste. I believe a 20" 2002 Medium, his beloved 16" 602 crash and I believe 14" 602 SE Hats. 

gezz

gezz

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,705 posts

Ah, a post about a man near and dear to my heart... I wrote an article about Charlie for the current issue of Vintage Drums Legendary Sounds and also discussed his cymbals. You can download it here: https://www.vintaged...ndarysounds.com. It's worth checking out...

As I said in the article, Charlie told me he used a mixture of A. Zildjian and Paiste throughout the years, but has never been specific as to which cymbals were used on specific recordings. He did indeed use a Paiste 16" pre-serial 602 crash from about 1968 until it cracked in 2007. That was his main "crash" until he started using the 18" UFIP china as his main "crash" sound, but he continued to use the 16" 602, placed above his floor tom. The 602 is what you hear on Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, etc.

I sent him a set of the A. Zildjian & CIE cymbals when they came out and he liked the 16" in particular and used it for his other projects. So when he cracked the Paiste, I sent him another 16" CIE crash and that's what he's using currently.

I don't think the 1981 Profiles book is accurate as far as Charlie is concerned. There's an older version (I believe the first book?) that references him using a 20" Giant Beat, which I think is more accurate. The cymbals on "Let It Bleed" and "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" (both from 1969) sound like a 20" Giant Beat, 16" 602 (thin) crash and 15" GB Hi-hats. I believe he continued to use the 20" Giant Beat until the early/mid 70s when he may have started using a 20" 2002, due to GB's no longer being available. His hi-hats back then (early 70s) were either 14" 602s or 14" A. New Beats. Most likely 602s until the 80s.

His cymbals on Black and Blue sound especially nice and my best estimation is they are Paiste, since it was recorded in '74/75. When they toured in '75, he was playing all Paiste. I believe a 20" 2002 Medium, his beloved 16" 602 crash and I believe 14" 602 SE Hats.

I absolutely LOVE your detailed info and cannot thank you enough for the joy of knowledge you give..
Thanks so much Johnny sheer delight everytime.

Gerry

Johnny D

Johnny D

• Double Platinum
  • 332 posts

I absolutely LOVE your detailed info and cannot thank you enough for the joy of knowledge you give..
Thanks so much Johnny sheer delight everytime.

Gerry

My pleasure, Gerry. As an addendum to my prior post, I found the pic of Charlie from what I believe is the first Paiste Profiles book in '72. Charlie was never an official Paiste endorser (i.e. never signed a contract) so they may have sent him these cymbals and then listed them as his cymbal set. Things were a lot more loose in those days :)

He bought his 16" 602 crash at Drum City in London around 1967 or 1968 - it's actually stamped "Arbiter Custom" Paiste Formula 602, so my guess is that's why it's not listed as part of his set up. 

I'm pretty sure he used the 20" 602 Ride at some point and highly possible he used 15" 602 SE hats on Get Yer Ya Ya's Out, rather than GB Hats as I suggested. Check out the article in Vintage Drums Legendary Sounds. 

Attached Files

Edited by Johnny D, 16 April 2018 - 03:37 PM.

ekim

ekim

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationNW

There's no way Charlie used 15" sound edge hats .

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,412 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

There's no way Charlie used 15" sound edge hats .

Paiste has more than a few ads quoting Charlie using 15” 2002 Soundedge hihats. Many Drummers in those days removed the logos from their Cymbals as they did not like the large gaudy logos that have become standard these days. This doesn’t say he did or didn’t use the Paiste 15 SE hats though.

Edited by RickP, 19 April 2018 - 07:04 PM.

gezz

gezz

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 6,705 posts

Can you prove that??? What a bollox of a reply. He actually DID use sound edge for a couple of years..

Gerry

Buffalo_drummer

Buffalo_drummer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

I thought he always used an upside down china as his main crash on the right? 

Johnny D

Johnny D

• Double Platinum
  • 332 posts

There's no way Charlie used 15" sound edge hats .

He definitely used 15" hi hats in the early years. He told me so directly. Whether they were sound edge or not I don't know. And I'm guessing he was using 15" hi hats (possibly 602 SE) on Beggars Banquet (1968) and Get Yer Ya's Out (1969 tour).  

I thought he always used an upside down china as his main crash on the right? 

He didn't start using the UFIP China on his left until 1978. Prior to that, it was just his 20" ride and 16" 602 crash to his right. 

The first two photos are from 1972. In the shot from behind, you can get a good look at Charlie's cymbals and based on their profiles and cup shapes, you can easily determine they are Paiste. The 20" ride looks to be a Giant Beat. The crash is his longtime 16" 602. 

The last photo (of his hi hats) is from 1969 at Altamont Speedway. They look like 15" GB hats to me. 

Attached Files

Johnny D

Johnny D

• Double Platinum
  • 332 posts

Can you prove that??? What a bollox of a reply. He actually DID use sound edge for a couple of years..

Gerry

And to Gerry's point, he did use sound edge hats (probably 14" 2002s) during the '78 "Some Girls" tour and most likely on the record itself which was recorded in '77. He's been using old/60s 14" New Beats since the 80s. 

Attached Files

Bun Carlos

Bun Carlos

Pro

• Platinum
  • 2,873 posts
  • LocationCaledonia, Illinois

I saw three Stones shows in 1969. It appeared he was playing 14" hats.

Johnny D

Johnny D

• Double Platinum
  • 332 posts

I saw three Stones shows in 1969. It appeared he was playing 14" hats.

Thanks, Bun. I'm only going by photos. Charlie has never been specific about what cymbals he used back then. 

Rik_Everglade

Rik_Everglade

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,013 posts

Check that cymbal setup. I've never seen him with just a hi hat to the left. I've always recognized the sounds being quite different for his hi hats. The recordings obviously sound like he's used several sizes and everything from Zildjian, Paiste, and maybe whatever was in the studio. I'm now buying that he did use Paiste for quite a while, thanks Johnny D for the great information. I've really grown used to that wonderful quick crash of his UFIP on the left...That poor cymbal gets a ton of work on every show. How often did he need to replace that china?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users