- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

hector48

hector48

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPA

I'm using mostly Zildjian K custom dark cymbals.

But I can't see paying $130 for an 8" splash.

Right now, I have an 8" Wuhan splash that sounds decent.

Wish it was a little darker sounding (I know, splashes are bright).

I've tried the Zildjian ZBT and a few PA Meinl splashes, but didn't like the overtones.

Anyone have any luck with a "budget" priced splash?

Brand suggestions?

Maybe a Paiste?

EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~

• Members
  • 15,958 posts
  • LocationRed River

To my ear, the right Wuhan splash can actually sound as good or better than anything else available but you'll probably want to sample a good selection of them before you find that one, because, as we all know, Wuhans can be hit or miss, tonewise.

I have a couple Wuhan-S series splashes 8" & 10"  the most perfect sounding I've ever come across, therefore I'd recommend sampling several Wuhans if possible, or any of the myriad of newer offerings currently produced in the Wuhan region of china with names like Centent, Arborea, Dream, Domain, and others which seem to enter the marketplace every other month of late. There's plenty of good sounds and good values currently out there.

http://www.drumforum...als/?hl=arborea

http://www.drumforum...entent-cymbals/

Skyrm

Skyrm

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,237 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

My favorite ever 8" splash was a pre-split Istanbul.  Paid $99 for it back in the 80's, and probably sold it for about the same a few years ago.

My second favorite choice would be Ufip's.

MustangMick

MustangMick

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • LocationDundalk, Ireland

Cheap - Stagg DH

Sound - Istanbul Agop Traditional

Mick

Seb77

Seb77

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationGermany

Stagg. Judging by the ones I tried in shops, they've become actually quite consistent. Not as bright as some Paistes or Ufips(talk about glassy), more midrangey and drier, a bit K-like in fact.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,567 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
If you can find a Paiste Dimensions thin splash or Signature splash grab them . Both are excellent splashes that you can find for a reasonable price used .

I have a 10” Paiste 602 Modern Essentials splash that is my all time favourite currently . I got it for a killer deal , which is fortunate because they are not cheap .

michiganice91

michiganice91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If you want dark the Paiste signature Dark energy 8" splash is undoubtedly DARK. They're still somewhat available too.

nk126

nk126

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Locationoakland ca
Get a used K. Had mine 20 years now. Love it.

SKSMITH

SKSMITH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSTL, MO

Get a used K. Had mine 20 years now. Love it.

Agreed. eBay, Guitar Center, Music Go Round, Craigslist, check these sites. You'll find one for around $80 I would guess.

Good luck with the search.

Steve

Chang

Chang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationHangzhou, China
For Cheap, I love my Chang AB Stage 8"

Attached Files

florian1

florian1

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,192 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast, OH
Ufip class. Good enough for Stewart Copeland

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,343 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

Go to G.C.  They usually have a splash tree with about 30 different types.  Find the sound you want.

I used to have some splashes back in the day.  I wanted a short, sweet perfect KISH sound.  I ended up getting a Paiste sound formula 8" (the only Paiste I've owned and kept) and I still have it.  I googled and they go for about $100.  I also have an 8" Zildjian platinum splash but it's more of a KAH sound.  That one I picked up for much less.

To me it more about the sound versus the budget.......but yes, look for used once you know the one you want.....

LJT 1982

LJT 1982

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia, Earth
I have an A Flash Splash 8” that I am happy with. It provides the sound I need without the “bell” emphasis that I found in cheaper lines of splashes.

Treviso1

Treviso1

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,100 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I have a couple dozen splashed from every maker, but right now, the ones that I am playing on are the cheapo Wuhan splashes...I get them from DrumFactoryDirect for dirt cheap.  I play the crap out of them and they are still in one piece...surprisingly.  I love the Paiste Signature Splashes for sure, but I won't hammer them out practicing or rehearsing.  Try them out...

Dave H.

Dave H.

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,247 posts
  • LocationAshmore IL.

I like my 8" Wuhan splash! Works well with my Zildjian Z, A & A customs.

Slawman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users