• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

mikebodrums

mikebodrums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

I got my first professional quality drum set in 1961. I selected the drums for the set from the Rogers catalog at Foster Music in Hammond, Indiana. I had no trouble deciding on the sizes of the Holiday model drums that were pictured most often in the book for four piece Rogers drum sets--8x12, 16x16, 14x20, and a matching 5x14 Holiday snare drum. I also had no trouble in knowing that I wanted Swivomatic receivers on the bass drum for the small tom and the snare drum to my left, a ride cymbal to my right, and the bass drum spurs. I also knew that I wanted the one piece foot board Swivomatic bass drum pedal. What took me the most time to select was the color of the drums. I wanted to have a different color than what most other drummers I saw playing. I finally decided on Black Diamond Pearl. The drums were in like new condition when I traded them in on a new drum set a few years later. In retrospect, I wish that I would have kept them over all these years. But, I didn't know anyone who had more than one drum set. The new Avedis Zildjian cymbals I bought between 1958, and while I owned the Rogers set have remained with me since I bought them. Here they are on stage with The Exports in 1963 at Madura's Danceland. This was a Big Band era ballroom in Hammond, indiana where Hammond and Chicago, Illinois meet on the southern shore of Lake Michigan.

Wow cool pictures and wonderful story I love stores like this.... I have a buddy here in town that got his double round badge gretsch brand new from a catalogue and still plays them today.

mikebodrums

mikebodrums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Does anyone know of another holiday b&b kit with a snare like this? I’ve looked in galleries done google image searches and have had no luck finding anything like this kit.

GrandpaCleve

GrandpaCleve

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,518 posts
  • LocationFarmingdale, NJ

First off great score.  Second there are way less Jasper 6.5s that have surfaced so far.  I've had the following for many years.  Fancy sparkling pearl ginger-aled:  

Attached Files

Edited by GrandpaCleve, 18 May 2018 - 07:20 PM.

mikebodrums

mikebodrums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
That is gorgeous I’m guessing mine is a jasper shell having the big flat bearing edge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users