• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

JRF

JRF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationNorway
I've been asked by an artist to join him in a duo project to play live. He will play the guitar and sing but he wants me to bring a small kick, a snare and a cymbal and possibly a drummodule like the DTXM12 or SPD-SX. He needs me to play simple bass on some songs and spice it up with percussion on other songs.

I have no previous experience with either drummodules mentioned above but know my way around computers and such. Is it possible to play basslines live with this setup? Is it possible to program/record bass and/or perctracks and run it off these modules and play drums on top?

Any advice on how to go about setting this up the easiest and best way would be highly appreciated.

Sinclair

Sinclair

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Some questions first. Is this a friend of yours? Sounds like you'd be doing the work of two guys. Does he have a budget?

Is this for a tour, a few club gigs or just messing around? 

JRF

JRF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationNorway
He is one of my best friends who is doing very well in his career. The pay would be good since these gigs would be corporate event gigs. This set-up would be for those kind of gigs and doing it well and right would most probably lead to more work.

I had planned to invest in a DTXM12 or the SPD anyways down the line but need to know if those are tools that could be used in the context mentioned above...

jazzerone

jazzerone

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

The answer to your "is it possible..." question is yes. But, be advised that the learning curve on these units is fairly steep --- they are not push button, plug 'n play easy. Comfort with computers is helpful, but these modules have unique qualities that you need to learn your way into. Bottom line --- yes, what you want to do can be done, but it will take time and patience to learn your way in.

The second thing to consider is that playing along with programmed loops in a live setting can be precarious if your friend is not well-experienced with doing this. It's similar, but not quite the same, as playing with a click in a studio. The wildcard here is that you're performing live, so you can't stop and do take 2 if somebody gets off tempo. I've worked with some very talented musicians who never could get used to a programmed bass/drum loop.

dtk

dtk

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 7,317 posts
  • LocationNeedham MA...

might be misreading the question...but you could get FL (Fruity Loops) for your PC and record tracks at home to play back and play over live.

I had thought about using FL to create Key parts to trigger from my Samplepad pro live.  lisc is $99 or more depending on model.   the $99 version i had did not have great drum or percussion sounds...but...that's why you're there right?

I think you can down load a 3 day trail version for free.

electrodrummer

electrodrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLondon

Yes, you can on the M12.  You can program MIDI sequences and play those back at the tap of a pad.  It has a Yamaha Motif keyboard built-in.

JRF

JRF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationNorway
Can I hook up a small USB keyboard to the M12 and use it to play basslines from it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users