34 replies to this topic

hector48

hector48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationPA

I've mostly been playing Zildjian A Custom crashes and K Custom Dark crashes.

I'd like to try out some Paiste crashes.  From my online reading, it looks like the 2002 or Signature would be best suited for me.  Playing some ska, pop, medium rock, that sort of stuff.  Moderate volume, and warm sounding crashes that are heard, but not overbearing.  Unfortunately, my local shop has very few Paiste in-house.

What do you suggest?

vintagemore2000

vintagemore2000

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 7,500 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

I've owned both 2002 and signatures, I sold all of my signatures, I've owned my 2002's since 1973 they're my fav's, Since  you don't have access to many to listen  to and play  go on you tube and listen to as many sound files as you can, that may help.  Both are Fantastic sounding cymbal lines from paiste.

Drumusic

Drumusic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOrangevale, CA, USA

I agree with Vintagemore.....both are excellent choices and I have many of each, as well.  I too, have a black label 18" crash from the mid '70s that I still use on most every gig today....love it and it fits beautifully with most music.  I think for your style of music, I'd probably go with the 2002's first.  But, either will work and sound great.  You can find some really nice older models on Ebay and such for decent deals.....black label ('70s) or red label ('80s).  Some say there's not much difference in their sounds....probably true, but I seem to prefer the older black labels.

As far as Signature....there are several within this grouping.  I've found I really enjoy the Dimensions line that's not made any longer.

Best of luck on the new cymbal(s).....I'm sure you'll find them a great choice.

jtpaistegeist

jtpaistegeist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationKentucky USA

For the description you have for warm and not-overbearing, I would suggest the Signature Dark Energy Crash.  They have the shimmer, and a warm and very musical sound.  Also, the Masters Dark Crashes & 602 Modern Essentials crashes fit the bill.  The 602 Moderns are my go-to crashes for about any style.  For me personally, the 2oo2 crashes, while great, are better suited for louder playing environments where you need to cut to the back of the hall.  

Black Label

Black Label

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

I really rate the Signature 18" full crash - every time that I hit mine, i want to smile. It is just the perfect crash sound to my ears (and a very close second is the 19" 2002 crash) 

Rich K.

Rich K.

Drummer Excelsior

• Platinum
  • 9,745 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA
I use 2002 crashes almost exclusively.
I would not consider them "moderate volume" or "warm." They're bright, in your face cymbals...would go for something different if you're looking for warm and subtle.

hefty

hefty

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationSeattle

I find Sigs warmer and less in your face than 2002's, but I see people regularly say the opposite so I guess it's just a matter of taste.  Both have that classic glassy, shimmery Paiste sound though.

If you go the Signature direction, you could try Fast crashes which are lighter than the Fulls..  I have an 18" Full though that has worked great for lots of dynamic levels.  Agreed on the above post about looking at Dark Energy crashes too which are pretty amazing.

Nacci

Nacci

Advanced Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,593 posts
  • LocationRoxbury, NH.

I feel the exact opposite to hefty, the 2002s are warmer and less in your face than the Sigs.  If it is moderate volume you are after definitely go with the 2002's the Signature line is by far the loudest line of cymbals I have ever played.   

hector48

hector48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationPA

Wow, those dark energy, masters, and 602 cymbals are very expensive.

Even the used prices are higher than Zildjian Ks.

drummaman1

drummaman1

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Wow, those dark energy, masters, and 602 cymbals are very expensive.

Even the used prices are higher than Zildjian Ks.

This is a common barrier into going "whole hog" with Paistes. You really have to invest in them one at a time. Take advantage of used deals when you can, but I've yet to hear a Paiste that isn't a great sounding cymbal. Context notwithstanding, they are great, consistent, and such a unique voice in cymbals. There's nothing else like them.

slinginit

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...

• Members
  • 2,452 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA
Have you considered Giant Beats?

slinginit

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...

• Members
  • 2,452 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA
Second thought, based on the styles you listed, I'd lean toward 2002.

Tama CW

Tama CW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSE Connecticut

Also consider Sound Formula's made in the 1990's, the forerunners to the Signatures.  You can find some nice pricing in excellent condition SF's.   I saw where a set of 5 excellent SF's sold for $500 last year.  The Signatures will typically cost considerably more, especially if nearly new.  I'm playing 16" full and 18" thin SF crashes and like them both.  A thin 20" SF ride makes a good 2 way cymbal.   

Edited by Tama CW, 16 May 2018 - 06:49 PM.

Rich K.

Rich K.

Drummer Excelsior

• Platinum
  • 9,745 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA

I feel the exact opposite to hefty, the 2002s are warmer and less in your face than the Sigs. If it is moderate volume you are after definitely go with the 2002's the Signature line is by far the loudest line of cymbals I have ever played.

Well, I never played other Paistes, just 2002s, so my opinion is based on comparison to Turkish style cymbals...A. Zildjians, Sabians,etc.

Nacci

Nacci

Advanced Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,593 posts
  • LocationRoxbury, NH.

I feel the exact opposite to hefty, the 2002s are warmer and less in your face than the Sigs. If it is moderate volume you are after definitely go with the 2002's the Signature line is by far the loudest line of cymbals I have ever played.

Well, I never played other Paistes, just 2002s, so my opinion is based on comparison to Turkish style cymbals...A. Zildjians, Sabians,etc.

There was a period of time that I was playing out once a week for months using 2002s.  One time I decided I was going to bring my Signature cymbals.  We weren't ten minutes into our first set when the guitar player turned to me and said; "What the f*** is up with your cymbals?  You are killing me."  I knew the Sigs were loud but at the end of the show both of my band mates said, don't ever bring those again, ever.

To be clear, I own Rudes, Dark Energies, Giant Beats, 404s, 505s, 2002s, 3000 and Dimensions. ....the Signature line is far and away the loudest series out of all of these cymbals.  Reading the OP criteria I would say he wants is the Giant Beat line or if money is no object then possibly the Dark Energy line which has all of the musically of the Signature but is also a moderate volume cymbal.  

The Signature line is bright, cutting and very, very loud.  

DrumKeys

DrumKeys

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

I prefer sigs to 2002's as far as crashes go. To my ear they sound a bit more refined, less harsh. Both are definitely on the bright side though but in the context of a rock band both work very well.  

I did a gig once where a backline kit was provided with 16" and 18" sig crashes. I heard 4 different bands play and those sigs sounded damn good...I later bought some based on the experience. 

These days I mainly play darker cymbals like traditionals, 602's and masters darks but I do love pulling out the sigs every now and then.

DudemanSeattle

DudemanSeattle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSeattle

I am with DrumKeys above - prefer the Sigs over the 2002's for crashes. Also think highly of the Masters Series crashes - picked up approx 6 months ago an 18" & 20" and both are excellent .

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,494 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
I love the Sig crashes. Better than 2002 to me.

AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 3,494 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Though IMO, realize that you aren’t going to do outdo those Zildjians that you mentioned. They are fabulous (most are, but they do tend to vary). The Paiste is simply a little different flavor.

hefty

hefty

Drum Czar

• Gold
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationSeattle

I rest my case re: people going one way or the other on 2002s vs. Sigs....

Actually Giant Beats might be a nice option as mentioned above.  They're mellower 2002s to my ears, and cheaper than Sigs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users