- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

BennyK

BennyK

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 13,274 posts

much food for thought . Radical chic - sters can sleep with both eyes closed ... for now .

RIP

Pocketplayer

Pocketplayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationCA

This is an OT thread...so

After watching the entire Ginger Baker documentary (see other thread) and hearing about Mr Wolfe's

passing, then seeing this ( https://www.mirror.c...er-128-12543657 )

it make me ponder life some.  I don't know how one could not actually...

There are probably two type of people living--summed up well in a Seinfeld episode where George & Jerry

along with Elaine volunteer with the elderly.  George sits with his older male volunteer at the diner and asks

him about death.  His response, "I don't care..."  George freaks..."I am half your age and it's all I think about...

how can you not care!"

When a woman is 128 years old and says she has not enjoyed a single day of her life...WOW...life can feel

like torture.  

If you read this under 50, your energy might be very different than if you are over 50.

If you have suffered great losses in your life at any age, you might read this differently.

If you come from a healthy family relationally, you will definitely read this differently than

one who did not.

LOTS of factors involved here...

If you simply react to the following, it will unpack your inner life (many times suppressed even from self);

Life is ________________________

Most likely the response will come later...the one that is much more honest.

I would argue if your response was positive, you have healthy relationships in your life.

Sound too simple?  If this is true, you are blessed.  For some, maintaining healthy positive relationships

is very difficult...and the end of the Journey documentary will make sense when you hear Steve Perry

confess, "I never really felt part of that band"...to the shock of the other members.

Social media is not helping with this dilemma of connecting deeply to others...with the illusion of having

"friends" in cyberspace.  When you hear the same story over and over..."The kids were sitting at the table

and all were on their phone."  The older you get, the harder it is to build depth with someone...

Now...back to hittin' stuff!

Treviso1

Treviso1

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,174 posts
  • LocationMichigan
^^^ Very well said. We are mostly all walking wounded to some degree or other. We have to do our best to find the goodness in life.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,816 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

I need some electric Kool Aid.......RIP.

GeneZ

GeneZ

DFO Potentate

• Gold
  • 4,277 posts
  • LocationGrew up in NY.. now, Georgia

I did not find out who Tom Wolfe was until after he died... only to realize that he was a part of my life all along.

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 9,184 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Tom Wolfe was a chronicler of American life from the 60's through the early 2000's. I read all of his books. He was always there, a big influence. A brilliant writer and a great guy. 

I'm thinking that his signature white suits are going to be auctioned off for a fortune. 

RIP, Tom. We're losing all the Great Ones. 

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 9,184 posts

Social media is not helping with this dilemma of connecting deeply to others...with the illusion of having

"friends" in cyberspace.  When you hear the same story over and over..."The kids were sitting at the table

and all were on their phone."  

I taught college for 23 years, and in the last 6-7 years, I saw groups of students standing around together on campus, but nobody was conversing. They were all buried in their smart phones.

I also had a terrible time keeping them off their smart phones in class. To them, when you get a text message, Oh My God! You must answer it instantly. 

I've actually gotten Facebook messages asking if I can make gigs. People assume I'm  on Facebook 24 / 7 like everybody else. How about calling me on the telephone and actually conversing? 

I have often wondered what Marshall McLuhan would have thought about social media and smart phones. Too bad he's gone. Neil Postman took over from McLuhan, but we lost him in 2003.

We need social critics to remind us that technology is no substitute for real human interaction. 

To me, it's scary. 

BennyK

BennyK

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 13,274 posts

PJ O'Rourke has been handed the torch . Long may he run .

drummerbill

drummerbill

Percussionist Maximus

• Gold
  • 5,221 posts
  • LocationNY-NJ Tri-state Area

I whipped out my vintage stack of 70s / 80s Rolling Stone mags.  Besides his novel output, 2 of which I have read..... from reading obits he is considered a conservative? 

I thought his language was "New York... New" .  {Don't beat me up. online,  Ron}

Edited by drummerbill, 17 May 2018 - 07:15 AM.

Sequimite

Sequimite

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,891 posts
  • LocationSequim (skwim), Washington

I read "The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby" when I was 15. The essay "Las Vegas (What?) LAS VEGAS (Can't hear you! too noisy) LAS VEGAS!!!!" changed my concept of writing. In order to engage the soul of the city he interviewed the inmates of an insane asylum. 

I read all his books except for the last few novels. (got stuck in "A Man in Full") Since this community is into the arts I would recommend "The Painted Word" his assault on modern art / analysis of the nature of art. While focused on visual art the principals apply equally to music.

A great writer whose influence can be seen in most prominent non-fiction as well as many fiction writers.

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 9,184 posts

I whipped out my vintage stack of 70s / 80s Rolling Stone mags.  Besides his novel output, 2 of which I have read..... from reading obits he is considered a conservative? 

I thought his language was "New York... New" .  {Don't beat me up. online,  Ron}

Yeah, Tom is a conservative. I don't care about his ideology. The son of a gun was a great writer. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users