• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

MBB

MBB

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,030 posts
  • LocationSan Rafael, CA

My wife needs a new car to replace our way old falling apart Honda Odyessy. We don't need such a huge car anymore but I do need something to fit drums in for gigs. We are going to get a Subaru Forester. Looks like with the back seats down all my drums, hardware, roc-and-roller cart will easily fit with room for our singers 2 guitars, mic stands, and small amp. Found a great deal on a new one with the higher output engine. Will pick it up tomorrow. Very cool small SUV.  Anyone else here have one? 

xsabers

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

• Members
  • 9,876 posts

I just picked up a new drum hauler too...but not a Forester. Good luck with yours! 

Tmcfour

Tmcfour

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,555 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
Subarus are great cars in general, I've never heard anyone say anything bad about the Forester.

rummy

rummy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLombard IL

Been looking at Outbacks myself.  

xsabers

xsabers

• Members
  • 9,876 posts

Subarus are great cars in general, I've never heard anyone say anything bad about the Forester.

Me either, and you see quite a few in my area. Begs to be adorned with the vanity plate "GUMPER" though... 

xsabers

xsabers

• Members
  • 9,876 posts

Been looking at Outbacks myself.  

Makes me want steak and a Bloomin' Onion! 

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 9,184 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

My drummer friend has a Kia Soul, and it has a lot of hauling room when you fold down the back seats. 

noreastbob

noreastbob

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • LocationRichmond, NH

Subarus are reputed to be excellent vehicles. My ex has one and LOVES it. I've been a Toyota 4Runner guy for over two decades now. On my 3rd one, second Ltd. Full kit and all hardware/accessories in the back with seat down...and can tow a 4700lb trailer.

Good in the woods, snow whatever.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
Probably my favourite car I have owned was a Subaru Impreza Wagon. A really reliable vehicle. I have been mulling over the purchase of a Crosstek or Forester for my next vehicle.

orion

orion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationChicago suburbs

I had a Forester for a rental car last month for 22 days. First thing I noticed was that it has great visibility from the driver seat, lots of glass. pretty practical car, good mileage and decent acceleration.

Fun 2 Drum

Fun 2 Drum

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 6,064 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

I have had a couple of Subarus over the years and I've always liked them.  My first one was a 1979 Brat that I drove for a couple of years back in the early 80's.  It was one of my favorite ever cars, was easy and cheap to work on, and it would go absolutely anywhere.  I know this isn't exactly relevant to the drum hauler thread, but it did haul drums.  Plus, the talk about Subarus made me reminisce.  

APelletier

APelletier

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

You can't go wrong with a Forester. Plenty of room, just enough HP. I retired mine at 460,000 miles, which I calculated to be a trip to the moon and half-way back or 158.62 trips across country from CT to LA! I bought it used with 18,000 miles on it. Keep up the scheduled maintenance and you wont have problems. Problem is, they start to rust out after 10 years or so, but seeing that you're from CA, you probably wont have to deal with much snow like we do in New England.

Edited by APelletier, 17 May 2018 - 08:11 AM.

Ron_M

Ron_M

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,773 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT

I purchased a 2011 Forester X-Limited in 2016, and have been very happy with it. It has the newer 2.5, which seems to be better than the previous version, as some had problems with head gasket failure.

Good in the snow, very comfortable, adequate power, and a decent amount of room for hauling. It's pretty much the official car of VT :)

dogmanaut

dogmanaut

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationUSA
Yep. Got a Forester after moving from Florida to Virginia and getting snowed in for three days our first winter. I know very little about cars, but my wife and I very much enjoy our Forester — and its gigantic moon roof!

CSR

CSR

Member since May 2000

• Platinum
  • 6,093 posts
  • Location- Snow Belt, New York State, USA, Earth
2005 Outback turbo drumhauler
2010 Legacy (wife)
2013 Outback 3.6 R drumhauler
2017 Forester (daughter)

Excellent cars!

Titletown Tim

Titletown Tim

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationGreen Bay WI
Consumer Reports consistently ranks the Forester and Outback at or near the top of their respective class year after year.

slinginit

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...

• Members
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA
I think they're great looking; can you get one in manual tranny?

Given my current urban location, I'm hauling drums in a Fit. All I wanted was a hatchback with a stick, power mooneoof, gas sipping mileage, and a kickass sound system. Had to install the latter.

tillerva

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p

• Members
  • 4,386 posts
They are supposed to be great cars. Fwiw, we have a Prius and I can get a whole kit in hard cases plus my wife in there!

dogmanaut

dogmanaut

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationUSA

I think they're great looking; can you get one in manual tranny?

Given my current urban location, I'm hauling drums in a Fit. All I wanted was a hatchback with a stick, power mooneoof, gas sipping mileage, and a kickass sound system. Had to install the latter.

The other car we own (in addition to the aforementioned Forester). People are always amazed at how much stuff the Fit can, well... fit. They're cool little cars, for sure.  

Edited by dogmanaut, 18 May 2018 - 10:42 AM.

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 12,479 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Subarus have always been good cars, and I was considering a Forester myself until I found this page: https://www.carcompl...ubaru/Forester/

They seem to have a lot of issues in recent years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users