• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

dboomer

dboomer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • LocationVentura CA
There have been some threads lately in which people are asked to listen to drum recordings and assign the correct wood or metal snare to the recordings. There has also been a thread about the sound of a drum getting lower in pitch if you walk out some distance. Both have returned mixed results.

Today I came across this - “Yanny vs Laurel” floating arounf Facebook. If you havent tried this it is pretty shocking when you play it for a few people and get competely different results.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=gpwlBzralds

So maybe this helps explain the results of the listening tests. Plainly said, your ears will fool you and this is why scientific measurements are sometimes needed to tell the true story.

Discuss ...

OttawaDrumGuy

OttawaDrumGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationOttawa
Listened to it on tinny computer speakers and heard Yanny very clearly. Then listened to it on a pair of studio monitors and clearly heard Laurel.

Fun stuff.

xsabers

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

• Members
  • 9,706 posts

The dress is BLUE, dammit!

Barden

Barden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationHartford

Listened to it on tinny computer speakers and heard Yanny very clearly. Then listened to it on a pair of studio monitors and clearly heard Laurel.

Fun stuff.

There you go! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 

A wide frequency range available to the human ear. Speech recognition is typically in the 1k-4kHz range. Think how "tinny" voices sounded over a 1980s land line. Only  a narrow band was transmitted.

This recording has both words tucked into different frequencies extending beyond this range.

If your speakers can't reproduce one of the frequencies bands, then you just filtered out one of the words.

This is also one of the BIG reasons why videos highlighting drum sounds remind you to use headphones or good speakers. When you don't, you only get a partial sample of what is being conveyed. Then all the comments say how bad the drum sounds. Yes! Through your phone speaker with nor more surface area than 10 square mm almost everything sounds bad. Except music mastered specifically for that.

Bonzoholic

Bonzoholic

Helluva Nice Guy

• Members
  • 8,672 posts
  • LocationPrescott, AZ.

mTrfo6nQ_4kDl4JVXjFz2eg.jpg

Boomer

Boomer

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationLouisville, Kentucky

"Yanny"

How in Blue Blazes could anyone mistake that for "Laurel"?

devinw

devinw

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

100% hear Laruel through my iPhone 6 ear buds.

Pocketplayer

Pocketplayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCA

This is just lame unless anyone seriously thinks it is anything but Laurel

If you think it is Yanni...then we have something here interesting...

devinw

devinw

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

The original sound was an Opera singer recording words for an online dictionary. He said and recorded "Laurel". If you hear anything else, you are being tricked by really s**** speakers and your brain. And, you are wrong. :)

xsabers

xsabers

• Members
  • 9,706 posts

mTrfo6nQ_4kDl4JVXjFz2eg.jpg

I think someone is going to see some Warning Points show up on their profile REAL SOON. 

Stuff like this ^^^^ can get a lesser man BANNED!!!! 

devinw

devinw

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

https://www.nytimes....rel-debate.html

This is really neat. You can hear that the high frequencies need to be REALLY jacked to start sounding like "Yanny". If you slide the bar to the right spot, you can hear BOTH words being said at the same time.

Trrrrrrripppy

xsabers

xsabers

• Members
  • 9,706 posts

Old ears with HF loss hear Laurel. The rest of us normal-hearing and otherwise awesome people hear Yanni. 

devinw

devinw

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Old ears with HF loss hear Laurel. The rest of us normal-hearing and otherwise awesome people hear Yanni. 

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of not being able to hear those frequencies at all, it's just the ratio of them. The NYT tool I posted above simply boosts those frequencies and then You can go from not hearing Yanny, to hearing Yanny (with no pitch shifting).

It's the ratio of those frequencies and how our brain processes speech that is causing the debate and various results.

Not saying of course age related high-frequency loss is not a thing, it is.

Pocketplayer

Pocketplayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCA

I sent this to someone who is 29 and she swears it is Yanni...

this is really strange!  I tried it at every speed and it is CLEARLY

Laurel.

A perfect example of chilling next time you get in an argument with

someone over what we think is 100% certain!

Matt M.

Matt M.

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

I hear a clear "Laurel", and also a faint "Yanny" that is spoken just before every 2nd "Laurel".

TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire

• Platinum
  • 7,140 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Before I knew what it was, I didn't necessarily hear one word over the other, but did hear two voices mixed. Upon replaying it in the YouTube link up top, I definitely heard "Laurel" or a variation of that over the "Yanny" part. Much like the blue/gold dress thing, much of it boils down to the equipment used (video settings/adjustments for the dress vs audio/speakers for this).

FloydZKing

FloydZKing

fire bad!

• Members
  • 6,763 posts

Unlike seeing the blue/black or white/gold dress, I don't think I will be able to hear both.  With the dress my eyes could see both and had no preference - I could look away and look back and see the opposite of what I had just perceived.  My ears though have a strong preference for 'laurel" and I can't hear "yanny" at all. 

It's tough for me to imagine the same either/or effect is happening with drum sounds but I do "hear things" that many say they can't.  (Oh well, more alloy RIMS for me...)

bodinski

bodinski

Creeping Cruds - the Tingler!

• Gold
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationTennessee
Both words are in the recording.

blueshadow

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along

• Moderators
  • 12,057 posts
  • LocationNorth of Austin, Texas

I clearly heard "Ringo"  I may have been on the forum too long ;)

dboomer

dboomer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • LocationVentura CA

Both words are in the recording.

No they are not. The only word actually spoken is Laurel. However the power of suggestion (that it is either laural or yanni) along with some lower frequencies less emphasized obviously give some listeners the impression that Yanni is being said. But it is not said.

If you can find someone that has not yet heard this just play it for them and don’t tell them that it is either laurel or Yanni. Someone posted a video where they did this and a number of listeners came up with other answers that were neither.

But my point to all of this is that when you listen or see, you hear/see what you expect to see which may or may not be the truth. Humans cannot stand not to have an understandable answer even if it is the wrong answer. They just want one they can comfortably understand (even if its wrong).

So back to listening tests. Do a little googling and you will find that the history of listening tests is pretty bleak. Listeners as a group generally get it wrong or at least no better than pure probablilty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users