• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Afraga

Afraga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationLa Quinta CA
Does anyone know the weight of the original hipgig? Just the drums when nested and cased?

I'm going to be picking mine up soon and can get them weighed. I have some fly dates to some remote places. The thinking is could I check the Hipgig? I could do the nested kit and a small hardware bag.

Any thoughts or input is appreciated

Andy

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
The Hip Gig kits weigh a ton at least 60lbs . I had one of the original Yellow Hip gig kits and was shocked at how much it weighs.
The Whitney Nesting Penguin Kit weighs less than 35 lbs and sounds far superior IMHO.

Edited by RickP, 16 May 2018 - 05:05 PM.

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 9,184 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Yeah, the Hip Gig sets are surprisingly heavy. I played a concert on a backline set and helped the guy tear them down and pack them after the show. Once they were all packed, I told the guy he could carry them to the truck!

Yamaha is one company that hasn't come out with anything lightweight. 

Edited by rondrums51, 16 May 2018 - 05:19 PM.

Pocketplayer

Pocketplayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationCA

The price of the "Penguin" drums are outrageous tho...you would have to fly a lot to justify this!

Whoever came up with the name Whitney Penguin...fail in marketing or tell your wife NO for once.

http://www.whitneydrums.com

Yammie Hipgig sounds WAY better than those Penguin toms...not even close.

Edited by Pocketplayer, 16 May 2018 - 05:33 PM.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

The price of the "Penguin" drums are outrageous tho...you would have to fly a lot to justify this!
Whoever came up with the name Whitney Penguin...fail in marketing or tell your wife NO for once.

http://www.whitneydrums.com

Yammie Hipgig sounds WAY better than those Penguin toms...not even close.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ze5T-Swwjf4

Everyone has their opinions, as someone that has actually owned both a Hip gig and a Whitney nesting kit. I found the Whitney kit far easier to tune up and I got more compliments on the sound. The YouTube videos do not do these kits justice. If you compare the prices between the Hip gig and the Whitney kits they are comparable. The Whitney kit comes with hardware and a padded carrying bag ( not thin bags that end up ripping that Yamaha provides with the Hip gig). One of my other beefs with the Yamaha Hip gig was tom and snare and cymbal placement. I could never get everything where I wanted it.

Afraga

Afraga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationLa Quinta CA
Well just got the weight. 43lbs for Bass Drum 2 toms SN
A custom Beato Bag is 7lbs

So 50lbs

I wish they had just used better wood. If we are already that heavy I would rather pay more for better drums

kb

kb

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

There's no backline on your dates? I hope they're paying all you air fare, including Baggage.

You could try using two separate bags....or just leave the two toms at home, which is what I would do. 

I think they're heavy because Yamaha DID use pretty good wood, and lots of it, too.

Good luck

blikum

blikum

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina via So. Cal.

I have flown with my hipgig set, but this was back in 1999. I even had cusom cases made for it. The reason that I bought the hip gig was so it would be easier to travel with. Back then all you had to do was tip the sky cap 10 bucks a bag and there was no hassle or fees. Sadly that's all changed now and it's cost prohibitive to travel with drums. Now when I do a fly in gig I always bring cymbals and sometimes a snare. But more on topic, I always get complimemts on my hip gig kit. People can't believe the huge soung that comes out. From what I've heard the Penguin kit sounds pretty great as well. 

Polska

Polska

Advanced Forum Guru

• Silver
  • 1,785 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY

I just flew internationally recently and the cutoff for checked bags was 50 lbs. I was 2 lbs over and they wanted to charge me $125. I pulled things and put them in my carry on and made it just under. 

Pocketplayer

Pocketplayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationCA

Good to know the Penguin videos are not realistic because I hated the tom sound.

Surprised there isn't quality videos made...I also do not like the look of the drums...

minor issue, but the Hip Gig looks cool...like a real drumset...don't under estimate

the look from an audience member...people like to stare at drums sitting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users