• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Sonorholic

Sonorholic

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, MA.

I've been wanting to get out there for a long time.. like decades! Finally made it happen and WOW! Just a really fun day. Got the grand tour of the whole operation and a lot of history of the company and then had a strainer fixed and got to play some drums in their studio. Big thanks to Jay, Nick and Rob for a super fun visit.  They've always made great drums and they're doing even better now. 

You'd think I'd take out the phone to document any part of this? Nope... oh well. I think they took some video.

steambent

steambent

DFO Potentate

• Double Platinum
  • 3,141 posts
  • LocationOhio
Cool!!

clowndog

clowndog

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia (can't believe I left Cali)

I still need me some more N&C. (need is a strong word)

MrDrums2112

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer

• Gold
  • 3,921 posts
  • LocationTolland, CT

Nice! I went there a few weeks back for the shop tour. Such a great company.

zenghost

zenghost

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,306 posts
  • LocationOhio

Nice - good for you!

Good people at N&C.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
I was planning to go for a tour in September but unfortunately, I will only be in the area on a Sunday. Maybe next year.

CLMacPherson

CLMacPherson

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationCDA, Idaho
Rad! Did you pick out any goodies while you were there?

Redbeard77

Redbeard77

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 785 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

What drums did you get to sample?

Sonorholic

Sonorholic

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, MA.

I didn't buy anything.. got to play CD Maples and Horizon kits. They were both great but I have to say the Horizions impressed me more than expected. I even cranked them up and they did it fine. Didn't spend a whole lot of time with either kit, but I know they've always made great drums. Got the strainer on my Classic fixed and they checked it all out..  no other adjustments needed... not bad for a drum from pretty early in their 'modern' production. 

Next time I'll take my other drum from them which is an SP? Limited production 5.75" depth thin ply maple shell for a 'vintage' sound from sometime in the 90's. That could probably use a 'tune up'. 

bigbonzo

bigbonzo

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,691 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast of Ohio

I would love to go to any drum factory.   Maybe someday.....

Neal Pert

Neal Pert

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  • LocationAmong the Coastal Elites

Great place, lovely people, incredible drums.  Did you try a sandwich at the shop nearby?  Really outstanding.  

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

I didn't buy anything.. got to play CD Maples and Horizon kits. They were both great but I have to say the Horizions impressed me more than expected. I even cranked them up and they did it fine. Didn't spend a whole lot of time with either kit, but I know they've always made great drums. Got the strainer on my Classic fixed and they checked it all out..  no other adjustments needed... not bad for a drum from pretty early in their 'modern' production. 

Next time I'll take my other drum from them which is an SP? Limited production 5.75" depth thin ply maple shell for a 'vintage' sound from sometime in the 90's. That could probably use a 'tune up'. 

The Horizon drums have always impressed me the most of all N&C offerings ( the CD Maples are also excellent drums). Bob Gatzen was engaged to help with the design of both the Horizon and CD maples. For those unfamiliar with the Horizon series drums, They are mainly maple shells in a horizontal grain layup with an inner ply of African Mahogany. The Mahogany inner ply warms up the sound of the maple shell . The mahogany inner ply is also left with a slight nap to it ( i.e.not polished smooth), this adds some warmer sonic properties to the shell.  The current Horizon series and CD Maples both have the CD Maples lug as standard. These lugs have a delrin insert that assists in locking in the tuning. This does as designed. For drummers that like to tensions their drums by feel this many not be to your liking. Personally I will take the tension locking capabilities over tension by feel. 

JD,

You have an SP snare ? The Symmetrical Ply series ? Very cool, they were great snares and very short lived sadly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users