Photo

133 Hours! What's the Longest You've Drummed Continuously?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Vistalite Black

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement

• Members
  • 2,065 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

A story about Drumming Up Hope in a Denver (I think) magazine called 303.com.

Sounds like a fun event. It started me wondering how long I've ever drummed continuously... For me, it's probably about three hours in a drum circle...

I just looked up the world record for continuous drumming by an individual. It's 133 hours, but I question that because he didn't use real drums... http://www.guinnessw...-an-individual/

How long have you pounded the tubs without a break of more than a few seconds?

Here's the story about the fundraiser by a group hoping to eclipse 81 hours:

Last year Denver non-profit Drumming Up Hope set a Guinness World Book record for the longest stretch of continual drumming with a 73-hour musical marathon. Now, they’re vying to beat that record for a cause with 81 hours of continuous drumming this May 24. The purpose of the drumathon is to raise funds for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.

This Memorial Day weekend, for the third year in a row, Drumming Up Hope will drum for a cause by taking over the Thunder Mountain Amphitheatre in Loveland. The organization was started by local Tim Elliot in 2016 with the aim to lend support to charitable organizations across the state and promote music and education one beat at a time.

“There was a drum shop in Fort Collins where all of us musicians congregated and they had an event each year where drummers would get together, make a donation and at a certain time we would all play the same beat,” explained Elliot. He continued,

“And while this was happening, other music stores around the country did the same thing. The money from the event was all donated to Mr. Holland’s Opus Foundation. That shop eventually shut down and I asked the owner how we could continue the drumming event.

Elliot was in a band at the time that was scheduled to play a 24-hours of hope radio event to raise money for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital. He was so inspired and moved by the fundraiser that he ended up contacting the station manager after to continue it into a larger event. “I reached out to the station manager and he found out that the world record for drumming was 64-hours,” explained Elliot. “I was on board to beat that.”

https://303magazine....al-day-weekend/

blikum

blikum

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina via So. Cal.

Probably about 5 1/2 hours for me. I played with 2 different bands back to back. And I was seriously wiped out the next day. 

moodman

moodman

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • 3,097 posts
  • LocationQuityerbitchin, USA
Not continuously but, I did have a weekly gig, Wed through Sat, 6 hours a night with a 3 hour jam on Sat.
From 9pm Fri til 3am Sun, 15 hours out of 30 hours and, if you wanted players to come to your jam you went to theirs, so pretty much playing all day.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,067 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

I used to put in the Steely Dan box set and play straight thru - 4 CD's - like 7 albums - about 5 hours......man what a workout!

TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire

• Platinum
  • 7,140 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

With some singers it just feels like 133 hours...

Pocketplayer

Pocketplayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCA

With some singers it just feels like 133 hours...

Comment of the week...easily!

NYFrank

NYFrank

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 907 posts
  • LocationNortheast U.S.

Wow.    At a rehearsal, 3 1/2 hours has to be my longest.  Live, probably just 2 hours is my longest.

My back, butt, and foot are honestly shot after 90 minutes.  My hands and mind can still go, but my back, butt, and sometimes - previously broke - foot are not in good shape after 90 minutes straight.  

icetech

icetech

• Members
  • 364 posts
  • LocationDetroit

I do 2-4 hours nightly, longest is about 6 hours.

DanRH

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger

• Double Platinum
  • 20,400 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
I think the most I ever played was a six hour gig. Anymore, I think a four hour gig is long enough. Most of my gigs are three hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users