13 replies to this topic

Barden

Barden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHartford

My custom drums came with generic rims mounts which work quite nicely for protecting sustain and resonance.

However, the wing nut of the gibraltar bracket for connecting to the L-arm stuck out too far too fit in my hard cases.

Also, my preference for finger tightening tension rods from the side (between the lug and rim) was blocked on four lugs per drum.

Additionally, the generic rims mounts are pliable and if they don't match the curvature of the drum shell so the holes line up perfectly, there is a small amount of side pressure at some of the tension rod sleeves (can't remember the part name). This can effect the feel when tuning.

Anyone else experience similar problems?

I decided to take matters into my own hands a few months back and imitated the DW/PDP style of engaging four lugs, but closer to the shell. I am quite pleased with the results and no longer suffer from any of the above.

Anyone else do something similar?

The metal is an aluminum bar from a home center that I rolled to carefully match the diameter of the drum. Then drill the aluminum with a hole saw big enough to accept the rubber grommets. Refine with a file. Rubber grommets from Amazon were thinned with a belt sander.

Attached Files

cwdrums

cwdrums

Forum Guru

• Gold
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationMeridian, Idaho

Nicely done, necessity is the mother of invention. I'm an old school rail mount guy (Ludwig & Slingerland) but can relate to having to make modifications for tom mounting hardware.

Coy 

xsabers

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

• Members
  • 9,876 posts

Nice work. It does look like an aluminum version of the DW mounting system. You might be able to find a less obtrusive piece than that Gibraltar mount as well. That part seems like overkill.  

Barden

Barden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHartford

Nice work. It does look like an aluminum version of the DW mounting system. You might be able to find a less obtrusive piece than that Gibraltar mount as well. That part seems like overkill.  

True. The thing I like about the gibraltar bracket is that it can accommodate different mounting arms. I have both Tama and DW sized L-arms for different configurations.

If it really bothered me further I could switch the wingnut to a small tension rod like the other side, but then I'm committed to a drum key for mounting a tom.

drumdevil9

drumdevil9

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 550 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada
Nice job. Maybe you could cut away some of the extraneous aluminum so it doesn't cover up as much of the shell.

The Green Man

The Green Man

Advanced Snr. Member

• Platinum
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Great fabricating sir. Looks pro. Nice Job.

Mongrel

Mongrel

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,144 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey, USA

Definitely did a great job on that! Not easy working with aluminum and keeping it so clean and finished.

But I have to say...  I wonder how good that drum would look with and old-fashioned shell mounted mount....?

Barden

Barden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHartford

Definitely did a great job on that! Not easy working with aluminum and keeping it so clean and finished.

But I have to say...  I wonder how good that drum would look with and old-fashioned shell mounted mount....?

Oooo. I don't think I could ever do that to this set. I ordered it custom to have the minimum amount of holes and maximum resonance. The shells are so thin that if you hum the right note sitting on the throne you'll get sympathetic resonance.

Rich K.

Rich K.

Drummer Excelsior

• Platinum
  • 9,977 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA
Theoretically, I think, to get maximum resonance, the drum should be suspended, which was the concept of the original Gauger RIMS. It would seem that any mount that attached to one or more lugs would have to be putting some stress on the shell. I'm just take a stab at the logic...

Edited by Rich K., 18 May 2018 - 10:29 AM.

xsabers

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

• Members
  • 9,876 posts

Theoretically, I think, to get maximum resonance, the drum should be suspended, which was the concept of the original Gauger RIMS. It would seem that any mount that attached to one or more lugs would have to be putting some stress on the shell. I'm just take a stab at the logic...

I'm not sure is suspending via the hoop and tuning rods, which are directly connected to the lug casings, would technically be any more "suspended" than this model. Eventually, the weight of the drum has to connect to the mounting bracket somehow. 

Barden

Barden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHartford

I didn't do extensive testing, but I think I did lose a small amount of isolation in this modification, but nothing too detrimental considering the other problems overcome.

Some of the fiddling with the sander and file were to reduce and pressures on the existing geometry of the drum. If the mount is working correctly, 4 of 6 lugs are resting on the bottom only of the rubber grommets. I tested that there is a small amount of play in all directions then the drum is moved relative to the mounting bracket. Very small, but still there.

Barden

Barden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHartford

Also, the kit I had before this was a Mapex M-series with mounts directly on the shell. The toms would resonate fine when held by the rim in my hand, but lost ~80% of sustain once mounted on the tom mount.

This drove me from experience in the pursuit of drums committed to isolation mounts.

mesazoo

mesazoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Oooo. I don't think I could ever do that to this set. I ordered it custom to have the minimum amount of holes and maximum resonance. The shells are so thin that if you hum the right note sitting on the throne you'll get sympathetic resonance.

Hmm I usually don't hum on the throne, but I have been known to read.

Edited by mesazoo, 18 May 2018 - 03:22 PM.

Barden

Barden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHartford

Hmm I usually don't hum on the throne, but I have been known to read.

SNORT!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users