- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Jordan Blue

Jordan Blue

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 785 posts

Whatever the guy did to that 16 x 12 is amazing.  

Slippy

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California
funny the small bass drums punch through better with the music, the larger bass drums 22" 24" bleed into the bass guitar IMHO

EssKayKay

EssKayKay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

To me the biggest difference is between the 18" and 20".  Not that one is better just different.

hippychip

hippychip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationFlorida

The 16 and 18 sounded like floor toms (which they are), and the 24 was just a dull thud. The 20 and 22 were both 17" deep, and still sounded better than the toy ones. My 22 x 14 would rip all of them a new one!

Frank Godiva

Frank Godiva

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
Small bass drums have there place, but they are not a substitute for larger bass drum. Remember a protein bar is not a meal replacement.

kb

kb

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

It's a useful, instructive video, thanks for posting.

It's little fuzzy, because the head setups and the depths are not consistent, so it's hard to separate which effect you're hearing...

For THIS track, I think I prefer the 20, then the 22, then the 18....so I guess my least favorite are the 16 and 24. Which doesn't surprise me at all....

supershifter2

supershifter2

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,372 posts
  • LocationLost Angeles , Ca.

my 16x22 doesnt sound anything like those and I was listening through my reference speakers. 15"  ,10" , 2"

Attached Files

cworrick

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block

• Members
  • 6,177 posts
  • LocationNortheast Indiana

:dontknow: WHAT?!  NO 26" BD? 

backtodrum

backtodrum

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationNew mexico

I am becoming more and more partial to using my 18" bass drum kit in about any situation. Like has been said before, it seems to be punchy and our sound man loves the way it sits in the mix. Plus that kit is so easy to move and set up. Im playing it more and more over my standard kit.

Frank Godiva

Frank Godiva

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
I know a few older seasoned players that only use an 18 and not just because it is easier to move, but because the sound man can always add more to it if needed, but it is more of a challenge to reduce too much bass drum FOH

TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire

• Platinum
  • 7,140 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Small bass drums have there place, but they are not a substitute for larger bass drum. Remember a protein bar is not a meal replacement.

Or a phrase used to talk about cars: There's no replacement for displacement.

I used to be "22 inch or nothing!" kind of drummer. As I've gotten older and learned more I see/hear how certain sizes work for different types of music and in context with the sound of the other instruments, before even considering how the drum sounds in the room.

Tmcfour

Tmcfour

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
That 12x16 is made of magic. Then I like the 15x24 and then the 17x22. The others didn't speak to me at all. It may be the depth that effect the sounds I'm looking for.

CherryClassic

CherryClassic

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationBuda, Texas

Notice the 16" is off the floor compared to the others.  My 18's are like that and have really nice sound.  At least 2" or more is a big plus.

sherm

Monty

Monty

DFO Potentate

• Members
  • 4,743 posts
What?!?! No suitcase bass drum?!?!

Tmcfour

Tmcfour

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Notice the 16" is off the floor compared to the others. My 18's are like that and have really nice sound. At least 2" or more is a big plus.

sherm

Great point. Never really thought of that.

mgdrummer

mgdrummer

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,780 posts
  • LocationSt Charles, IL
Anyone else notice the eq changing from clip to clip? I heard it on the snare drum, so I’m wondering just how true this comparison really is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users