Photo

Ever been relieved to get something back?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

CLMacPherson

CLMacPherson

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCDA, Idaho
I've recently come to an agreement with a local fellow on trade/cash deal for one of my sets. I sold him a snare a while back, one I loved, and it's found it's way back to me. I am excited and somewhat relieved to have it back with me.

I'm sure most of you have had this happen somewhere along the line. Care to share your experience?

NYFrank

NYFrank

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationNortheast U.S.

I have a couple of items in my history that I shouldn't have sold. Not many, but a couple in my life:

1. My cymbal set when I dumped all my equipment decades ago during my peak parenting years.  I never recovered from that.  Those were great, great, high end cymbals.   Specially picked Zildijian crashes and hats, and a Sabian dry ride.  They were perfect.  Anything I found after returning has never duplicated the cymbal tone I used to have.   Being the sometimes too generous person I can be when selling, I nearly gave those cymbals away.  [to a young lady player starting out]

2. Not a drum, but - a Ferrington shallow body acoustic electric guitar.  It was a great guitar with a to-die-for neck and super comfortable body, and I did good things with it.  [played in church for many years.]  I should have kept that.   They don't make those guitars anymore.  I loved that guitar.  Now That was a legitimate bond with an instrument that I regret letting go, and that I would be Relieved to have back.  

No actual drum I have owned in the past has been something that I regretted letting go of.  No previous bonding to any drum or kit.

Edited by NYFrank, 18 May 2018 - 06:07 AM.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 18,369 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I hve related this story more than once before around here but it fits the parameters of this post pretty well so here goes...

I bought my first drums besides the snare drum that I got in fifth grade when I was in 7th grade (1973). This was a Ludwig club date 20 and 13 in Gold Sparkle from 1962. Those two drums coupled with my existing snare drum (1957 WMP WFL) constituted my first drum "set". Two years later I bought a Ludwig COW Hollywood outfit. As part of the deal to pay for the new set my parents loaned me some money against the gold sparkle drums on the promise I would sell them to pay them back. I soon was able to sell the two drums (along with its various accessories, a 12" A. Zildjian on a shell mount holder, a speed king pedal, and a J.C. Penney Hi-Hat stand) to the local Music Parents Association. I sold the drums to them for $150 which was what I had paid initially. The MPA provided my old drums to the local Junior High to use. 

Years later, once the vintage bug bit me I kind of regretted having sold the drums and wondered about them, surely they had been turned into firewood by now, being in a school usage situation.

In 2007 a friend of mine who worked for a local music store gave me a call and asked me to swing by the store to see something that just came in that I was sure to be interested in. That was all he'd tell me. I showed up after work to find that the mysterious item was my two old drums. Though quite a few years younger he had used the same set when he was in Junior High and at some point in time when we were talking about old drums came to realize that the set he had played back then were my old drums. Somehow he had found them and bought them (or perhaps rescued them from impending destruction) from the school. Eventually we wrangled out a price (initially I think he thought I'd be more sentimental about them than I actually was and thought I'd pay a lot more than I was actually willing to) and I bought the two drums.

They were more or less in the same shape as when I had sold them, same heads and no real changes from what I remembered other than someone had ripped the keystone badge off the bass drum. The accessories were long gone but, other than the cymbal, I didn't really care.

I cleaned them up and found a matching snare, then a matching 14x14, then I "cloned" a matching 16x16. I've used them for a few gigs...glad they made it back to me.

Attached Files

Edited by K.O., 18 May 2018 - 08:22 AM.

repete

repete

This one goes to eleven

• Members
  • 4,320 posts
  • Locationsouth florida

i sold a Magstar Teak segment snare and then it was sold to a guy in Australia  -  I tried getting back but he said no. I found the auction on ebay and tried contacting the buyer but it was no use - dead end....

phoster

phoster

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 645 posts
I’ve bought the same drum set twice. I first purchased itused @ Sam Ash, kept it about 5 years and then sold it on Craigslist.

About 3 years later the gentleman passed away and I saw the kit on Craigslist so I bought it again. That said, the drums are currently for sale :)

TheElectricCompany

TheElectricCompany

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • LocationHouston

I don't think I've parted with a single drum or cymbal in my life because so many of them were gifts from my parents or still serve a purpose to me now.  I hope I never experience seller's remorse.

lossforgain

lossforgain

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 12,479 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

My holy grail set of Slingerland Studio Kings was sold here on the forum to a member when I lost my job and needed funds. He knows (at least I hope) that whenever he decides to sell them I would very much like to buy them back.

p83

p83

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,256 posts
  • Locationtacoma,wa,usa

i recently sold an 8 lug 400 and a 70's 6.5 acrolite for $1200 to fund a 70's 6.5 black beauty. i missed them, so i sold some other drums and bought them both back for $1150.

CLMacPherson

CLMacPherson

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCDA, Idaho
I knew I wasn't the only one. Thanks for chiming in fellas.

Rich K.

Rich K.

Drummer Excelsior

• Platinum
  • 9,977 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA
In 1977 I bought a brand new set of Turkish Ks. A small drum store had bought one of the last batches. I selected two bottoms out of a stack to make the perfect pair.
In '83 I moved into an apartment in Brooklyn. Heard drumming next door. I knocked on the door and it turns out to be Charlie Drayton. I knew his father was a big deal jingle producer but I didn't at the time know who Charlie was. He brings me to his basement drum studio where there are stacks of Yamaha drums and new Zildjians. He shows me a pair of newly released Ks. I mention I have a set of original Ks. He asks to try them and says he'll loan me a pair of the new ones. A few weeks go by and I want to get my originals back. Charlie says there's a problem...his buddy Steve Jordan borrowed them and was using them on the Late Show. Not long after Charlie got them back to me. I think I dodged a small bullet.

gaebrel

gaebrel

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 532 posts
Sold my 5 piece Ludwig Standard green sparkle in 1990 to a friend who had moved to Lubbock Tx. My parents had gotten it at a garage sale for only $75 and included hardware!

Many years later, that friend found me online, so we swapped numbers to catch up. Of course I had to ask about the kit and to my surprise, he still had it! I asked how much, and he said, just pay the shipping and they're yours. It was so great to see them again!

They must have been at least 20 yrs old when I got them, which means they're going on 48-50 yrs now. Just recently, I had a drum maker friend recut the bearing edges, giving them a new life! They've never sounded better!

Edited by gaebrel, 27 May 2018 - 09:59 AM.

MLayton

MLayton

Night Creature

• Double Platinum
  • 31,298 posts

i recently sold an 8 lug 400 and a 70's 6.5 acrolite for $1200 to fund a 70's 6.5 black beauty. i missed them, so i sold some other drums and bought them both back for $1150.

Well done!

I sold a late 60's keystone badge brass b stamp Supra to a friend a few years ago for financial reasons. He was kind enough to sell it back to me under better conditions.

Mike

rondrums51

rondrums51

rondrums51

• Members
  • 9,184 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

i sold a Magstar Teak segment snare and then it was sold to a guy in Australia  -  I tried getting back but he said no. I found the auction on ebay and tried contacting the buyer but it was no use - dead end....

Magstars are fantastic drums. Rob built me a snare years ago when he was still up north. I'll never part with it. Sorry for your loss!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users