- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

bmw2002

bmw2002

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio

I'd like to cut a pair of 1/2" inlay strips from a leftover piece of Bermuda Sand any suggestions as how to do a professional looking job?

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,605 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

I've never cut inlays.

However, I have cut pieces out of wrap.  I would think you would either use a metal yardstick/ruler and a sharp utility blade, probably clamp it down and then cut along the edge of the ruler.  Or, you could possibly take the wrap to a Kinko's and use their long slide cutter thingie (not sure of the name), but I don't know if it would cut thru plastic wrap.

I've taken misc. long things to Kinko's to cut them myself using that gadget with no  issues (including vinyl drum wrap once - I had to promise the lady that I would send her a pic of the final product and I did and she thought it was so cool!).....

Fat Drummer

Fat Drummer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 955 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Yep, I use the method that JDG just proposed. If the piece I want to cut already has a straight factory edge, I will measure back to the width I want to cut, mark  the cut line at 7" to 10" intervals then clamp over the finished piece back towards my mark with a metal 48" square and cut with a fresh razor knife.

My examples show me doing this to a recent project using wood veneer, but of course its exactly the same for vinyl. Good luck and post pics of the project.

Ward

Attached Files

bmw2002

bmw2002

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio

?Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know how they turn out.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,605 posts

I think Ward nailed it.....good luck Beemer.....

mgdrummer

mgdrummer

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,822 posts
  • LocationSt Charles, IL

If you know someone with an aluminum bending break (siding/window/door tool) I'm sure it could be done pretty easily.  It operates on the same principle as the clamps/straight edge but it applies really solid pressure along the entire length of the piece.

jptrickster

jptrickster

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,160 posts
  • LocationFairfield County
I use a table saw

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 18,269 posts
  • LocationIllinois

A friend of mine has a veneer cutter and it cuts perfect inlays although I think it is limited as to how wide a strip it can cut. Also it's an expensive looking tool but if you have a local cabinet shop they probably have one and perhaps they could be persuaded  to cut some for you.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,605 posts

JP, what type of blade on a table saw?  I would think you would rip the wrap to pieces......or at least get a jagged cut, unless it had super small teeth (like a hacksaw).

Edited by JazzDrumGuy, 04 June 2018 - 02:49 PM.

jptrickster

jptrickster

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,160 posts
Laminate blade. No rake on the teeth. I build a little wooden L jig that I clamp to the table. I raise the blade so it comes
comes up through the bottom piece for a nice clean tight throat around the blade and a tight right angle flat corner.
Attached File  JIG!!.JPG   169.65KB   0 downloads

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,605 posts

Oh, well that's a genius maneuver, dude!

jptrickster

jptrickster

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 7,160 posts

Thx tricks of the trade!

Fat Drummer

Fat Drummer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 955 posts
  • LocationTennessee

I'd like to cut a pair of 1/2" inlay strips from a leftover piece of Bermuda Sand any suggestions as how to do a professional looking job?

Hey BMW, you ever cut thise strips and finish your project? Was hoping we would see some finished pics of a cool hoop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users