- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

harveymilk

harveymilk

• Members
  • 7 posts

Hey everyone,

Right now I have a pair of Zildjian ZBT 13 inch hi-hats that came with my drums when I bought them. I was looking to upgrade, and came across a pair of 404’s on Craigslist for about $80. Would this be a decent upgrade? I really only casually play around with some friends, nothing serious. Thanks!

drumsforme

drumsforme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Definite improvement over your ZBT's......Nobody does B8 Alloy better than Paiste. The price is right in the ballpark of what they are worth. They are an entry level line of Paiste from the late 70's-80's- ....but much better than offerings from Zildjian & Sabian . They are smooth and silky sounding ...... Go for it !

Edited by drumsforme, 24 May 2018 - 10:13 AM.

harveymilk

harveymilk

• Members
  • 7 posts

Hey thanks for the info. I watched some YouTube videos and that they sounded pretty good too, just wanted another opinion!

tris66

tris66

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • Location3rd world

Keep in mind that 404s tend to be VERY light. ~Standard hats will be very light. 'Medium" hats tend to run light and "Heavy " hats will run medium. 404s are an interesting beast... can run from complex to trashy... sometimes both. "Poor mans' Giant Beat."

harveymilk

harveymilk

• Members
  • 7 posts

I actually just found a pair of used Sabian AAXs for about the same price. Do you think those would suit be better? They're the stage hats model.

FormerPNV

FormerPNV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNoVA

AAX Stage Hats are fantastic.  I got a pair of SR2s and a Sabian employee told me that they were most likely AAX Stage Hats in their past life.  They sure sound like the ones on MyCymbal. 

apcpa2000

apcpa2000

Advanced Snr. Member

• Gold
  • 612 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

I play a pair of 404 Heavy Hats at my rehearsal space.  The work very well.

funkypoodle

funkypoodle

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Canada

I love my 404's for what they are. Thin and slightly trashy and a bit bendy underfoot. But the AAX's might be a better "general hi-hat" for the money.

shilohjim

shilohjim

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,412 posts
  • Locationshiloh, nj

I use my 404 Sound Edge's 90% of the time to the exclusion of my way more expensive Paiste's. This particular set has it all.

Santos

Santos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Locationyou can see the beach from here

I say go for it!

I'm not tech savvy enough to embed the video, but the hi hats on this track (and the album) are a pair of 14" medium Paiste 404's, and I always thought they sounded great. I have some 14" medium 505's but wouldn't rule out a pair of 404's if I could find some sound edge ones...

https://www.youtube....h?v=87lr9lxgj58

Edited by Santos, 29 May 2018 - 06:51 AM.

drummerjohn333

drummerjohn333

Drum Czar

• Members
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I am huge advocate of the 404s. (Go HEAVY for the 404 hats)

....that said, if you can grab a pair of Sabian AAX Stage Hats for about the same $, you need to jump on those. That is a great deal on some great hats. Having played them, I would describe them as the closest Sabians to the Zildjian New Beats. Most excellent and very versatile. Lifers.

the_dude

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationRenton WA

Seems cheap enough to buy both. ;)

Jdrum

Jdrum

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  • LocationNortheast

AAX Stage Hats are fantastic. I got a pair of SR2s and a Sabian employee told me that they were most likely AAX Stage Hats in their past life. They sure sound like the ones on MyCymbal.

X2 on the AAX stage hats. I’ve been on the Paiste kick for a longtime but have a pair of the stage hats that I won’t part with. I prefer them over a pair of Zildjian New Beats that I’ve owned for over 30 years that I won’t part with either.

Edited by Jdrum, 09 June 2018 - 06:40 PM.

KevinD

KevinD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNew York City

If anyone remembers, Tommy Wells was a very big advocate of the 404 series, esp. the hi-hats. I believe he was a big fan of the 15" 404 HHs and used them quite a bit. (very rare, I think I've only seen one set on eBay since then) 

I remember him mentioning that the freq range of the 404s (kind of mid, not shimmery like the 2002s or Signatures) fit very well into the spectrum of frequencies on the recordings he was making in Nashville at the time so recording engineers really liked them. 

I miss Tommy's posts, always filled with great insight. 

Edited by KevinD, 09 June 2018 - 07:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users