• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

wayne

wayne

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 843 posts
  • Locationcanada

I,ve heard a lot of talk about 10 lug snare drums becoming the standard in the drum world. A few builders say music has changed and the higher end pop is what is called for. They also say 8 lugs offer a more vintage open sound, which was good for "yesterday"....would you agree with that?

MLayton

MLayton

Night Creature

• Double Platinum
  • 31,189 posts

I like the 8 luggers. Seem to be more versatile to me. I can make them sound like 10 luggers if needed. Can't seem to tune a 10 in the low range where an 8 lug models is comfortable.

Mike

cplueard

cplueard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationAZ

I have a preference for 10's, but I don't really tune snares low so 10's make more sense for me. I like my snares tuned up to just before they lose their body and I find 8"s tend to have a much smaller range to find that spot and don't stay in it as well.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,567 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
I got hooked on 8 lug snares when I bought a 6.5” INDe Aluminum Snare . When I ordered my 6” N&C Walnut Ds Snare I ordered it with 8 Lugs . Probably the best wood shell snare I have ever played

idrum4fun

idrum4fun

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  • Locationsouthern California

I like both! Just depends on the sound I'm looking for.

-Mark

MillerMav

MillerMav

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I haven't built a lot of snares (compared to most) but the ones I have built I tend to use less lugs than what is "industry standard".  14/13 I have used 8 and 12/10 I have used 6.

Fat Drummer

Fat Drummer

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 908 posts
  • LocationTennessee

I like both! Just depends on the sound I'm looking for.

-Mark

I'm with Mark, for me the selection is all about the desired outcome I'm looking for. Though I will confess that it took me years to embrace the sonic properties of an 8 lug snare. This was simply because I grew up at a time when "pro" series drums were 10 lug and the mid level offerings were 8 lug options. I was simply a product of the marketing in that era. Now I have and both and enjoy them all for what they are.

I am not interested in going down to only 6 lugs however, though many folks swear by them... I just swear AT them!

wayne

wayne

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 843 posts
  • Locationcanada

Yup, 8,s for me as well. Now that im retired i have a lot of time to compare stuff, and i,ve decided i prefer wood snare drums over metal, no matter how hard i try to accept them....but eight lugs for sure, and cast hoops.

SlingyFan

SlingyFan

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 803 posts

My preference is 8 lugs and I'd actually take 6 over 10 all day long. I play all vintage and like a lower open tuning, 10 lug drums have too much pop for my liking. 

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,343 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

I have 6, 8 and 10.  I like them all.  I prefer 8 only because it's less work than 10!  I don't hear much difference between 8 & 10.  If you were going to crank a snare then maybe 10 would be better, but otherwise 8 is fine.  As for 6, it's my least favorite of the 3......

Fun 2 Drum

Fun 2 Drum

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 6,026 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

To be honest with you and myself, I've discovered that it really doesn't matter to me.  I like the drums I have and they're a mix of 8 and 10.  

mtarrani

mtarrani

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,245 posts
  • LocationDeltona, FL

8 lugs for me. I dislike 10 lug snare drums, and honestly would prefer a 6 lugger to a 10 lugger.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Potentate

• Platinum
  • 4,343 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

My next project is a vintage 20's Ludwig maple solid shell.  It has no lugs so I can go 8 or 10.  I will be doing tube lugs to keep the vintage vibe (and I love tube lugs)!  If I go 10, one lug will cover the vent/badge hole.  Thus, it will likely be an 8 lugger.  It was a 6 "lug" drum but no lugs - it had those double hooked thumb lugs......those have gotta go!  I could not get heads to sound good.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users