• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

wayne

wayne

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 953 posts
  • Locationcanada

I,ve heard a lot of talk about 10 lug snare drums becoming the standard in the drum world. A few builders say music has changed and the higher end pop is what is called for. They also say 8 lugs offer a more vintage open sound, which was good for "yesterday"....would you agree with that?

MLayton

MLayton

Night Creature

• Double Platinum
  • 31,348 posts

I like the 8 luggers. Seem to be more versatile to me. I can make them sound like 10 luggers if needed. Can't seem to tune a 10 in the low range where an 8 lug models is comfortable.

Mike

cplueard

cplueard

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationAZ

I have a preference for 10's, but I don't really tune snares low so 10's make more sense for me. I like my snares tuned up to just before they lose their body and I find 8"s tend to have a much smaller range to find that spot and don't stay in it as well.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Platinum
  • 12,956 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
I got hooked on 8 lug snares when I bought a 6.5” INDe Aluminum Snare . When I ordered my 6” N&C Walnut Ds Snare I ordered it with 8 Lugs . Probably the best wood shell snare I have ever played

idrum4fun

idrum4fun

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  • Locationsouthern California

I like both! Just depends on the sound I'm looking for.

-Mark

MillerMav

MillerMav

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I haven't built a lot of snares (compared to most) but the ones I have built I tend to use less lugs than what is "industry standard".  14/13 I have used 8 and 12/10 I have used 6.

Fat Drummer

Fat Drummer

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
  • LocationTennessee

I like both! Just depends on the sound I'm looking for.

-Mark

I'm with Mark, for me the selection is all about the desired outcome I'm looking for. Though I will confess that it took me years to embrace the sonic properties of an 8 lug snare. This was simply because I grew up at a time when "pro" series drums were 10 lug and the mid level offerings were 8 lug options. I was simply a product of the marketing in that era. Now I have and both and enjoy them all for what they are.

I am not interested in going down to only 6 lugs however, though many folks swear by them... I just swear AT them!

wayne

wayne

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 953 posts
  • Locationcanada

Yup, 8,s for me as well. Now that im retired i have a lot of time to compare stuff, and i,ve decided i prefer wood snare drums over metal, no matter how hard i try to accept them....but eight lugs for sure, and cast hoops.

SlingyFan

SlingyFan

Advanced Snr. Member

• Members
  • 853 posts

My preference is 8 lugs and I'd actually take 6 over 10 all day long. I play all vintage and like a lower open tuning, 10 lug drums have too much pop for my liking. 

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Percussionist Maximus

• Platinum
  • 5,205 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

I have 6, 8 and 10.  I like them all.  I prefer 8 only because it's less work than 10!  I don't hear much difference between 8 & 10.  If you were going to crank a snare then maybe 10 would be better, but otherwise 8 is fine.  As for 6, it's my least favorite of the 3......

Fun 2 Drum

Fun 2 Drum

Team DFO

• Moderators
  • 6,102 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

To be honest with you and myself, I've discovered that it really doesn't matter to me.  I like the drums I have and they're a mix of 8 and 10.  

mtarrani

mtarrani

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,347 posts
  • LocationDeltona, FL

8 lugs for me. I dislike 10 lug snare drums, and honestly would prefer a 6 lugger to a 10 lugger.

JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy

Percussionist Maximus

• Platinum
  • 5,205 posts
  • LocationPebble Beach, CA

My next project is a vintage 20's Ludwig maple solid shell.  It has no lugs so I can go 8 or 10.  I will be doing tube lugs to keep the vintage vibe (and I love tube lugs)!  If I go 10, one lug will cover the vent/badge hole.  Thus, it will likely be an 8 lugger.  It was a 6 "lug" drum but no lugs - it had those double hooked thumb lugs......those have gotta go!  I could not get heads to sound good.......

Dave H.

Dave H.

Percussionist Maximus

• Members
  • 5,260 posts
  • LocationAshmore IL.

I have both & prefer 8 lug & in some cases my Old Slingerland 6 lug student snare.

Slawman

JDA

JDA

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 9,817 posts
  • LocationJeannette, Pa.

In depends on the rest of the drum. The old drums were lighter overall; could do "quiet" well. 

With the onslaught of sophisticated amplification that changed. And the drums got heavier to keep pace. 

So "we're" playing arena drums in the corner of some firehall..well some are ..

But it's circular and all vintage designs are just about fully back..3 ply w rings Ludwig snares 3 ply Broadcasters...

all the 50s and mid 60s designs - have all found space again - on  the front page news.

Edited by JDA, 14 September 2018 - 01:44 PM.

drumjinxjr

drumjinxjr

• Members
  • 334 posts

The majority of what I build has been 10 lug, but the 8 lug had definitely not died. Also, as any drummer knows, if you can't decide between two snare options, you should probably own both.

Balance

Balance

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Surely if you use a strong hoop like a die cast you paralytically shouldn't get any flex from the hoop?!

Edited by Balance, 18 September 2018 - 05:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users